Hi guys.  I think I had a lightning strike hit our house during last Thursday's storm. There was a big snap within our house with the bright flash & super loud crash of thunder outside. Power was out until I started our backup generator (I had it shut down for the summer).

Surprisingly, I thought we came though un-scathed. All electronics in the house seem to work fine.  They work in our shed too but I noticed the sprinkler system has not been working since the storm.  Opening the console, the 8-zone device (which is located in the pumphouse) is all red exclamation marks. (BTW I'm still using my 2412 PLM).

Writing Updates, Restoring Device, or Device Links Table only produces "Failed reading/writing to device" messages.  And the red marks don't go away.  It may be possible the power surge whipped to that device and now it's toast, communications lost.  Does anyone know how I can confirm if the device is OK or not?  And I just missed Smarthome's yearly sale too.

Is it a EZFlora?

I believe it has a LED on its side. Is it On ?

Yes.  I tried the 30 sec reset (unplugging both the device and PS).  The LED on it's side is on after plugging the PS back in.

Holding the button on the side for 10+ secs made the LED much brighter then began flashing when I released the button.  I think that indicates "Linking" mode.  But the red exclamation marks on my console would not go away, even after attempts to write to the device.

Yes.  I tried the 30 sec reset (unplugging both the device and PS).  The LED on it's side is on after plugging the PS back in.

Holding the button on the side for 10+ secs made the LED much brighter then began flashing when I released the button.  I think that indicates "Linking" mode.  But the red exclamation marks on my console would not go away, even after attempts to write to the device.

That would be classic. The device that connects your grid based power line to remotely located devices takes the brunt of the discharge and induction. The possibility of voltage potential difference is great across your EZFlora

I had a lightning bolt somewhere just outside my back window. I was on my laptop with my back to the open window and felt the thunder sound wave impact my back simultaneously with the flash reflection in the screen.  I thought I was hit and jumped right out of my chair!  Big WAF!!!:)

Later I found my outdoor thermal sensor for my heating system,  fastened to my aluminum  soffits not functioning. It must have gotten the surge induced into the large metal surface and  came down the sensor cable into my heating system control. This makes me wonder why building codes don't force grounding of metal roofs and all large metal surfaces on a house construction. This one is going to cost me. I don't know how far the surge went and have four zone thermostats, mixer and outdoor reset panel all flashing bad communications. Rough value $3000. This hurts and I need to get back to it before heating season.

That would be classic. The device that connects your grid based power line to remotely located devices takes the brunt of the discharge and induction. The possibility of voltage potential difference is great across your EZFlora

Sounds like I might of been lucky.  The bright flash and thunder crash was like an explosion!  And it took hours before the power company could replace a pole mounted grid transformer to restore our power.  It does seem the devices farthest from the main panel take the brunt of these surges.  If a whole home surge protect would prevent this, that is something we all should invest in.

We do have a metal roof and it's not grounded.  It's extremely rare to get thunder storms here but we get a lot of power outages (falling trees & branches from wind gusts).  I suppose we need a lightening rod too.

Fortunately, ALL my electronics, computers, tvs, motors, pumps, lights and switches seemed to survive. I was even watching a Seahawks game when we were struck.  I only just noticed my lawn was not getting sprinkled. But the irrigation pump still works. Looks like I'll need to order a new EZFlora device.  Only last week I was thinking this I/O has been one of the most solid and dependable Insteon devices in my system (aside from my ISY).

BTW: How do you like 5.0.1?

Archived