How are people filtering both power outlet receptacles?

ahwman

I have just discovered that my audio amplifier (a big 7 channel external amp), if turned on while the other equipment is on, sends a pulse that knocks out the video output from my processor, requiring it to be power cycled. 

Do you have this same behavior if turning on the amp with the volume down?

You should be able to adjust your power on volume level.

Jon...

It doesn't have volume control, it is strictly an amplifier, relying on the processor for all control, and it doesn't matter if the controller is muted.

Outlaw 770 I think.

I just don't imagine the power draw and resulting inductive kick to be so great when starting under no load?

Jon...

I just don't imagine the power draw and resulting inductive kick to be so great when starting under no load?

Jon...

I presume the audio amp uses the traditional power supply, and has some HUGE capacitors to prevent any sort of ripple from getting into the audio.  When first powered on, those capacitors appear as a dead short across the output transformer, at least until they are charged.

Many devices will use some sort of inductor or resistor to limit that initial surge of power, as it can be quite damaging to the unit's power supply components.  Either the amplifier in question lacks this limiting circuit, or the limiting device has failed in a shorted-out state.

I would leave such a device on 24x7 if possible - they seldom respond well to repeated cycling of power, and as in this case, they often make lousy neighbors on electrical circuits because of this behavior.

As mentioned, it is a good 10 years older than my toddler who has now discovered the power button.  I've not noticed this problem before because I never turned it off before, as power cycles are what kills such devices.  Not only will I have to run a dedicated circuit, but I will have to get a new cabinet with a door I can lock!

Thanks again, all, for chiming in.

(edit: I do realize heat kills more devices than power cycles, but the locked cabinet will be ventilated!)

I presume the audio amp uses the traditional power supply, and has some HUGE capacitors to prevent any sort of ripple from getting into the audio.  When first powered on, those capacitors appear as a dead short across the output transformer, at least until they are charged.

Many devices will use some sort of inductor or resistor to limit that initial surge of power, as it can be quite damaging to the unit's power supply components.  Either the amplifier in question lacks this limiting circuit, or the limiting device has failed in a shorted-out state.

I would leave such a device on 24x7 if possible - they seldom respond well to repeated cycling of power, and as in this case, they often make lousy neighbors on electrical circuits because of this behavior.

Great explanation!  Thanks for that..

Jon...

Team

What do you suggest for blocking signal-suckers? I have a bunch of UPS units connected to the same circuit where my PLM is at, and although I don't think I'm having signal problems, I want to make sure the UPS units are not affecting things.

The only issues I have are all-off/all-on commands don't make it more than 10 feet from the PLM and I have some devices that will not update their status back to the PLM when switched locally, however, I'm starting to think these issues are related to my v99 PLM and not signal problems

Plug the UPSs into one or more FilterLincs. One FilterLinc can handle a maximum of 10 amps. Also, it sounds like you have not adequately bridged the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. And the ISY 99 series does not recognize some newer Insteon devices.

PLM V99. Is the V99 the firmware version of the PLM?

If the PLM is about two years old then it could be the PLM. As they have a known failure at about that age. Is there a white sticker on it with a hardware version. I have a V98 that is a hardware 1.5.

Signal issues as mentioned. Would be my first thoughts.

Archived