Admin console when away from home

jmed999

I have always used the admin console to make changes to programs while at home using my home network.  

I'm now using a Surface 3 tablet to access the admin console (via java applet) and would like to use it away from home.  What is the best way to access the admin console when away from home and on a different network? 

Thanks in advance!

I just got a surface 3 yesterday, partially for remote admin console access! Here are a couple ways

1) VPN. VPN software lets you access your LAN like you were there. The surface has a VPN client built in, or there are other clients like openvpn. On your house side, you need a VPN server. My router provides that. If your router has A VPN server, that would work. A VPN allows you to access other things on your LAN in addition to the ISY

2) Port forwarding. Use your router's features to redirect an SSL port to your ISY. Set an option up in ISY Finder with your house's IP address and the port number that redirects to your ISY. A little bit of technical knowledge is needed to do this, we can help with that here if needed

3) The new ISY portal. Its in beta, but once available, it is designed specifically to put your ISY on the internet securely, and for you to access it remotely.

If you can wait, and don't need to access other devices on your LAN, probably #3 is best

If you can't wait, its a toss up between the other two options...  Does your router have VPN and do you need to work with other devices? Then #1. If not, probably #2

Paul

I'll add #4: If you subscribe to Mobilinc Connect you can use that service as well to run the admin console.

Michael.

I do subscribe to Mobilinc Connect.  With that on my Windows 10 Surface 3 PC, will I be able to make program changes in the Admin Console?  Is it a Windows 10 app?  Thanks!

I do subscribe to Mobilinc Connect. With that on my Windows 10 Surface 3 PC, will I be able to make program changes in the Admin Console? Is it a Windows 10 app? Thanks!

It uses Java - just like when you are local. It's the full admin app, so yes - you can make any change that you can make locally.

I believe you lookup the URL to use within the Mobilinc app itself if you are using the Mobilinc Connect profile. It incorporates the ISY uuid, and you authenticate with your Mobilinc Connect credential instead of your ISY credential.

• 10 months later...

Ok guys long time lurker, first time poster-  finally got my system up and going. One major issue at this moment is that I cannot seem to access my Admin console from outside my network. I am running a Netgear R7800 router that has Unpnp but for some reason did not work when I tried to set my ISY for remote access. But I just went ahead and port forwarded port 443 and reserved the IP. I can use the App CtrlHome on my Iphone and access my ISY remotely on my desktop, but when I select admin console it goes there, shows the screen and then times out. So I figured I had to install the applet. I also cleared everything in the Java cache. So I installed the one that matches my firmware 4.5.1. Which brings up the ISY finder but I have tried

https://myIp

http://myip

https://myip:443

http://myip:443

But keeps saying not found, what am I missing? Thanks

Well I tried something I should have tried first, tried logging in from another network and it works just fine...Must be something with my network at work that does not allow it. Too bad I was really looking forward to wasting my time at work to write some programs. But it did pop up a message about my certificate is unsafe etc, and send me to the Network security Manual. But is that just for the Pro? I have the 994i with Z-wave. Should I be doing anything different regarding the security setup? Thanks

Archived