Dimming a scene

barrygordon

I have a scene with two members. one is an insteon dimmer switch and the other is an insteon keypad button.

I can manually dim the scene to dim from the Admin console by using the dim button. Is there a rest command I can send to set the scene to a specific brightness? If so please show me the format as in /rest/node/<sceneID>/DON/128.  I know that /rest/node/<sceneID>/DIM will dim it every time it is sent, but I am looking for a way that would set the intensity level to a specific value as in dealing with a plain dimmer switch.

Unfortunately the Insteon Scene messages do not have a placeholder for a Scene On Level  value.  Therefore REST command cannot do it. 

In the extreme REST could invoke a Program that issues a series of Adjust Scene statements that alter each Responder link record On Level, followed by a Scene On.  The problem is that changes the Scene On Level until more Adjust Scene statements are issued.  Also because link records are being modified the process would be relatively slow.  Not something I would recommend.

I have a scene with two members. one is an insteon dimmer switch and the other is an insteon keypad button.

I can manually dim the scene to dim from the Admin console by using the dim button. Is there a rest command I can send to set the scene to a specific brightness? If so please show me the format as in /rest/node/<sceneID>/DON/128.  I know that /rest/node/<sceneID>/DIM will dim it every time it is sent, but I am looking for a way that would set the intensity level to a specific value as in dealing with a plain dimmer switch.

You could create multiple scenes with different brightness levels and then call up the scene that represents the level you want.

Thanks for the replies.  You have confirmed my understanding.  

LeeG,  I don't see why the Scene needs a p[lace holder for the Scene's on level.  Why not just accept a DON/value and set the brightness (OL)  of each member of the scene that is dimmable to that current level?

Then a Scene would not be acted upon if I understand the point.  Are you asking Insteon to invent a new function where a Scene is specified but only for identifying a list of Responders, where then Direct commands are actually used rather than Scene commands?  Something like Set List 'xxxxx' 50% where xxxxx is a Scene definition that provides the device list but Direct commands are used?  

If you want to use Direct commands where an On Level is in the architecture that would certainly work.

Perhaps I don't understand the proposal. 

Archived