Smart Energy Groups - bad news ($$$)

MWareman

From the Brultech forum:

An important announcement from Smart Energy Groups

Smart Energy Groups, SEG has been around for some time now. Our community has been built and grown with the needs of our members in mind. We want to provide a service for you - not for third parties of advertisers. This allows us to focus on making the things you need, not other people.

In the modern times of this internet, it is likely you may understand this. We want this community to be for us, not them.

Smart Energy Groups has been free for the majority of our members now for a long time now, and we need your support in order to continue.

This means that Smart Energy Groups is transitioning to a paid service in order for it to continue.

When you log in next, you will be prompted to select from our Community or Premium plans. This will set you up with an account and all the other necessary things, like your credit card details etc.

The Community plan has three free streams included, so does the Premium plan.

The Premium plan is based on your total number of streams and their data rates. The price per stream varies on how often your streams send data to SEG. This is something you need to review.

The Premium plan comes with a 30 day free trial that every member is eligible for too!

So please join us and show your support for all we have been doing and hope to continue!

So please join us and show your support for all we have been doing for our community and we hope with your participation to continue!

Sam, @samotage

I'm thinking this could be a good option:

http://emoncms.org/

I don't have much time to play for another month or so, but getting the GEM data to it would be trivial.

That's cool! I like you can have them host, install yourself to shared hosting or host at home. It seems the only real trick is going to be getting the data in (SEG is natively built into the GEM and the Dashbox as export formats).

I'm going to install it on my shared hosting and see where it goes....

So, a teaser for SEG users.  Emoncms seems to be a great option.  It can be installed locally or can use their cloud service.  The images below are a quick dashboard sample I created in about 2 minutes.

A local install can be created on a Raspberry Pi - they even have an SD card image ready to go.

post-1310-0-92596100-1444880581_thumb.jpg

post-1310-0-21970000-1444880590_thumb.jpg

Are you using btmon.py as a bridge? If so, is it possible to share your config for this (minus the secrets of course!)

If not, how did you configure the GEM to send the data?

Or is it option 3 - another fantastic io_guy addition to the node server in progress?

The Smart Energy Groups website appears to have either failed completely or was shut down shortly before noon Chicago time yesterday. Connections are currently timing out to www.smartenergygroups.com.

Does anyone know what happened?

SEG came back online around 7pm Chicago time today - not sure why it was down about 31 hours.

Anyway, in their forum there's an active discussion of the new pricing plan at https://smartenergygroups.com/forums/11/topics/393?page=1

They also adjusted pricing in response to feedback and sounds like it's possible pricing will be adjusted further. Pricing is at https://smartenergygroups.com/pricing

• 3 weeks later...

Been pumping my data to Emoncms for the last 2 days. Working great, I found it easier to use than SEG.

I'll eventually install it locally on my Synology to ditch the cloud.

Could you shed some light on what a network resource rule to post to this would look like.  Got this installed on one of my Pi's but having trouble getting my data into emoncms from the ISY.  Just can't figure out the resource syntax...

Thanks.

-Xathros

No idea, don't know if it would work.  I'm sending my data via my NodeLink program.

Well,  was just gonna say, never mind!  I got it working.  It's just a simple GET with everything on the URL line.  Now I just gotta wrap my head around nodes, inputs, feeds , schedules and how they all interact...

I DO have my Living Room temp graphed on the dashboard with a Live Data widget as a POC so I know it works!

Thanks for pointing me at emoncms.  Looks like it will be  valuable addition to my setup.

-Xathros

Is Nodelink available yet or still in private testing?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Xanthros,

Would you mind sharing more detail about geting your data from GEM into Emoncms?

Thanks,

Rebelfm

Sorry, I don't have a GEM.  Just pulling data from various ZWave energy meters, multi sensors, WebControl board with temp sensors and the climate module.

-Xathros

Xanthros,

Would you mind sharing more detail about geting your data from GEM into Emoncms?

Thanks,

Rebelfm

Easiest way is to use nodelink app - this has option to send GEM data to emoncms - http://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/113-nodelink/ alternatively if you want more customization use btmon.py - you will find huge thread on the brultech forums to do that.

Archived