Anyone else have connectivity issues starting with v4.5?

ahwman

I've been a MobiLinc user for years, both on my iPad/iPhone and for the most part have had rock solid reliability. Unfortunately this all changed for me after upgrading from v4.5 and continues with v4.7. The issues started with my geofence not triggering consistently and then my Bluetooth locking up on my iPhone every day or two, forcing me to toggle it off/on. After MANY hours of testing and communicating with Wes, I discovered that my iPhone wasn't auto negotiating between http/https when inside/outside of my LAN and this is what was causing my geofence to sometimes not trigger. The only solution was to either go back to v4.4 or move from direct IP to MobiLinc Connect - more money to solve a problem I didn't have before.

The second and just as frustrating issue is that my Bluetooth stops responding on my iPhone 6s every day or two and loses connectivity with my Apple Watch and all other Bluetooth devices forcing me to toggle it off/on. I originally thought this might be hardware related as it was happening on my iPhone 6, however my 6s is behaving identically even with a fresh instal of iOS 9.0.2. Again, downgrading to MobiLinc v4.4 solves this issues as well. Wes has acknowledged that there were a lot of changes in the connectivity methodology in v4.5 and later. I'm not experiencing either of these issues on my iPad, so at this point I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with the Apple Watch/MobiLinc combination in concert with an iPhone.

Has anyone else experienced either of these issues?

Thanks,

Chuck

I use MLC on my iPhone 6+ and direct connect on my iPads. All are on iOS 9.

On iPhone 6+, I had some MLC connectivity issues this past weekend which I think Wes indicated he was making changes. No problems since. I also have a number of new (different) BT issues since upgrading to iOS 9, Phone does not automatically reconnect to previously paired devices (DECT 6.0 phone, car BT, etc), but I don't thing it is driven by MLHD.

I have one wall mounted iPad which runs MLHD in direct connect mode with screen on all the time which looses connection to the ISY more frequently since upgrading to iOS 9.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue since upgrading.  Half the time when at home Mobilinc will not connect when "connect method" is set to "auto".  I change the connect method to "http" and it connects.  When away from home and the connect method is set to "auto" it always seems to connect.

bconen,

Are you using the Today View widget and/or Apple Watch with a direct IP connection to your ISY? If so there are two possibilities that may explain what you are seeing:

1. If you use the TodayView or Apple Watch MobiLinc app with a direct IP connection to the ISY, the ISY will not auto-drop the disconnected TCP stream from the iPhone for about 14 minutes. The ISY does have a socket connection limit so if you open the TodayView or Apple watch multiple times inside of 14 minutes, you could use up all of the sockets the ISY has available until they expire. 

This doesn't happen to the main MobiLinc app because the iPhone allows main apps some background time which MobiLinc uses to tell the ISY it's disconnecting. It's not possible to do a graceful (notified) disconnect with the TodayView or Apple Watch as there is no background time allowed by iOS.

Please note that our MobiLinc Connect service is not affected by this limitation with a direct IP connection.

2. Your router may not support IP Loopback: There is a small window where if the TodayView was launched and the TodayView grabbed the socket resource for auto-detecting the ISY on UPnP, and then you closely then launch the iPhone MobiLinc app, the main app may not be able to bind to the UPnP socket right away. In this case it falls back to using the external path, but if your router doesn't support IP Loopback, then this will fail how you describe. Same with the Apple Watch. If you looked at MobiLinc on your Apple Watch and then opened the iPhone MobiLinc app, there is a small window where the iPhone app may not be able to auto-detect your ISY and will fall back to the external path.

Again, this does not impact our MobiLinc Connect service. This is an issue with how the iPhone limits access to a system-wide shared resource for network auto-detect.

Wes

I am having the same issue since upgrading.  Half the time when at home Mobilinc will not connect when "connect method" is set to "auto".  I change the connect method to "http" and it connects.  When away from home and the connect method is set to "auto" it always seems to connect.

Unfortunately I have had to revert back to MobiLinc v4.4 as I was having way to many issues with connectivity and my geofence was failing to trigger sometimes since MobiLinc was failing to connect. I have had numerous conversations with Wes trying to troubleshoot and I immensely appreciate his patience and help, however after too many hours to count, I decided to revert back to v4.4 and cross my fingers that a future update will restore direct ip connection reliability. I had considered moving to MobiLinc Connect, however I just couldn't justify spending the extra money especially when I have had zero issues with MobiLinc prior to v4.5. I hope you have better luck that I have resolving the connection issues...

I decided to revert back to v4.4 and cross my fingers that a future update will restore direct ip connection reliability. I had considered moving to MobiLinc Connect, however I just couldn't justify spending the extra money especially when I have had zero issues with MobiLinc prior to v4.5. I hope you have better luck that I have resolving the connection issues...

I'm having this same problem with MobiLinc 4.5. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of MobiLinc 4.4. :-(

I'm having this same problem with MobiLinc 4.5. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of MobiLinc 4.4. :-(

I'm sorry to hat that. I was fortunate to have the option to recover MobiLinc v4.4 via Time Capsule. I believe as time goes by more and more MobiLinc users who upgraded from v4.4 and are using direct IP will report similar issues as I have invested literally dozens and dozens of hours troubleshooting connection issues post v4.4. I have ruled out hardware and software and the only thing that doesn't cancel out is MobiLinc as moving from v4.4> will reproduce this issue consistently...

This is an issue with how the iPhone limits access to a system-wide shared resource for network auto-detect.

My router with dd-wrt supports IP Loopback.  This is a recent bug.

Unfortunately, I am stuck because I cannot roll back to a working copy. Anyone want to email their copy of MobiLinc 4.4?

This is an issue with how the iPhone limits access to a system-wide shared resource for network auto-detect.

My router with dd-wrt supports IP Loopback.  This is a recent bug.

Unfortunately, I am stuck because I cannot roll back to a working copy. Anyone want to email their copy of MobiLinc 4.4?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you would be able to install and run someone else's copy of an iOS app as the app certificates wouldn't match...

Thanks ahwman. I'm not sure. I purchased Mobilinc HD in 2012, and I've been a beta tester for Wes in the past. I surely hope Wes rolls back some code that he used previously.

I've also done beta testing for Wes. He's a great developer and very attentive to his customers. That said, I would strongly encourage you to reach out to Wes directly and share your issues as he is under the impression that no one else besides me has had connectivity issues post v4.4. I purchased several plugins which I can no longer use since they aren't available in v4.4. Lastly, Wes shared with me that code changes pertaining to connectivity were necessary in order to accommodate the Apple Watch. I also hope there is a solution to these issues, other than MobiLinc Connect...

dbong and dconen,

Can you detail out your Lighting Controller Settings page for me and how I can reproduce the issue? MobiLinc was fully tested/qualified on direct IP local/remote connections before release to the App Store. As ahwman indicated, yes there were some connection changes to add in Apple Watch support, but every version of MobiLinc has changes. The important thing is that our tests pass before release. 

In order to assist I'll need to be able to reproduce the issue. Please let me know how I can reproduce this.

Wes

• 4 months later...

Hello Wes and everyone else, 

I have been having similar issues for a while.  Mobilinc works fine when away from my local wifi.  Once conneted to wifi, geofencing stops and unable to control anything through mobilinc.  I can force wifi off on iphone and then I can control a scene.  I have a basic no-ip account that I use instead of mobilinc connect.  I looked in isy994 dashboard and see it configured for tls 1.2.  I have a local certificate but no server certificate.  I just poked hole through firewall for port 6443 (443 already poked) to isy as dashboard said that is what I configured some time back.  Don't have enough data to go through cell network when wifi is available, so I would like to find out why this is being a problem.  I am thinking that this problem has existed since getting ios 9.x on phone, just haven't had time to further investigate.  Any help appreciated.  TIA

Scott

Hi Scott,

Can you send us a tech support request to support@mobilinc.com with the following:

MobiLinc:

- Screenshot of your Lighting Controller settings page.

Router:

- Screenshot of your port forward settings page.

ISY:

- Screenshot of your ISY's Admin Console->Configuration tab.

The results of going to: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=what+is+my+ip

Wes

Hello,

I sent asked for information to support, but I think I might have a bigger issue.  None of my cameras can be accessed in-out-in to my network either using a web browser on a computer.  To refresh: 

From inside my LAN and staying totally within my LAN, everything works.  From outside my LAN using no-ip, everything works.  Attempting to use no-ip from inside my LAN, breaks access to isy and also to ip cameras.  I think that recently my ISP has switched to IPV6 which may have caused this problem.  My iphone has mobilinc and also has a camera app called Foscam Pro.  Foscam Pro works I believe because it has been configured with a local IPV4 address and a remote no-ip URL and it knows how to detect which one to use.  Why this has suddenly become an issue is that to use geo-fencing, I used the remote URL so that it didn't matter whether my iphone had enough time to connect to my LAN.  If I completely turn off wifi on iphone, everything works automatically, but stacks up data charges. 

So, does any of this make sense?  And how to get everything working automatically like it used to. 

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

I responded to your support request. 

To address your other issue with using a no-ip DNS from inside of your LAN, this is called IP Loopback. Most routers support IP Loopback, but some do not. In the case where some router's do not support IP Loopback you'll see this behavior where your DNS address just simply will not work from inside of your local LAN.

The first thing to check is any firmware updates for the router to see if the manufacturer added this support. If not, then the only other option is to replace the router with one that supports IP Loopback if this feature is important to you.

Wes

Wes, I have v 4.7 Mobilinc Pro on my iOS device with firmware 9.3 and can't seem to get things working with my.isy.io.

I have my setup as follows:

Host Type = ISY

Username = my.isy.io email

Password = my.isy.io password

Local Http = empty

Local Port = empty

Secure https = my.isy.io

Secure port = 443 (I do not have port forwarding enabled and the my.isy.io can connect to my ISY fine)

Connection method = Auto

For whatever reason its not working. What the heck am I doing wrong? Never had issues until recently and thought it maybe the ISY portal but now thinking its Mobilinc.

Thanks-

Scott

Edit: Fix typos

my.ISY.io is port 443, not port 433.

my.ISY.io does not connect to your ISY. Your ISY connects outbound to my.ISY.io. no port forward needed.

Michael.

Sorry Michael I should have looked at my post for typos. I do not have port forwarding enabled and its port 443.

It just shows "Syncing with ISY" "Retrieving Configuration" and appears to timeout. Which I think is why my Geolocation settings stopped working.

I also have been having v4.7 of the app crash on me more than previous versions. Is there a way on iOS to email the crashlog?

I've really stopped using Mobilinc on Android because it takes far too long to synchronize States before you are able to control anything. That being said - I think you may need to change the connection type from 'Auto' to 'Secure only' when using it with ISY Portal.

You also have to have the 'Default' ISY set in your portal account.

Hopefully, Wes considers adding native support for ISY Portal into Mobilinc - it sure would be nice to be able to auto-switching from local HTTP to remote Portal.

Archived