Learning how to use "Control" command

satwar

The ToggleLincs are cross-linked and the PLM has the expected Responder links.  That takes us back to a comm issue.

Disconnect or unplug everything on both circuits. Simply turning something electronic off is inadequate. It must be unplugged or disconnected. Did that help?

Just to clarify what you are showing; only one of the switches needs to be wired to the load. The scene should then make the switches into a virtual circuit.

While I haven't done this with 2 toggle lincs, I do have a togglelinc for a porch light that is also in a scene with a swtichlinc for floodlights, a motion sensor and 3 keypad keys. They all work together to control each other and the lights. Insteon is designed to do exactly what you are describing.

Just to clarify what you are showing; only one of the switches needs to be wired to the load. The scene should then make the switches into a virtual circuit.

While I haven't done this with 2 toggle lincs, I do have a togglelinc for a porch light that is also in a scene with a swtichlinc for floodlights, a motion sensor and 3 keypad keys. They all work together to control each other and the lights. Insteon is designed to do exactly what you are describing.

I believe there is some confusion about what I am doing.  I have a 2466sw with a light in one circuit in my house (garage) and another 2466sw with a light in another circuit in  my house (back porch).  Each light has it's own switch, as per the diagram.  There is no opportunity to use only one light, each light is independent  .  I am trying to get both switches to synchronize their on/off operation.  If I turn on one switch, the other one follows.

The scene works to turn both lights on/off together, in the computer world  but they won't switch off/on together when I mechanically activate the light switch

I don't believe it is electrical interference on my house wiring because I shutdown every circuit in my house except the two circuits with the lights (I unplugged everything in those circuits) and there's no change in the problem.

I am trying to get both switches to synchronize their on/off operation. If I turn on one switch, the other one follows.

The scene works to turn both lights on/off together, in the computer world but they won't switch off/on together when I mechanically activate the light switch

Are both switches 'controllers' of the scene? If sounds like they may only be 'Responders'.

Ok, what you are describing as your requirment should work and is a core insteon feature:

-All lights added to one scene

-Both switches added as controllers to the same scene.

That both makes this new virtual circuit available from the ISY controlling the scene, and each switching turning on and off. If its not interference, I'm not certain where to go at this point.

Edit1: and Michael beat me to the punch

Edit2: went back to the beginning, and adding both as controllers was suggested in post #2 and indicated that it didn't work in post #3. Not sure where to go at this point if noise has been eliminated

See reply #25

Missed that - sorry! Agree with others at this point. It looks like one switch does not receive the scene command from the other, but they both receive scene commands from the PLM. Points to comm - since all the link records appear to have been confirmed.

Ok, what you are describing as your requirment should work and is a core insteon feature:

-All lights added to one scene

-Both switches added as controllers to the same scene.

That both makes this new virtual circuit available from the ISY controlling the scene, and each switching turning on and off. If its not interference, I'm not certain where to go at this point.

Edit1: and Michael beat me to the punch

Edit2: went back to the beginning, and adding both as controllers was suggested in post #2 and indicated that it didn't work in post #3. Not sure where to go at this point if noise has been eliminated

Well I have a very simple program that reads the status of both lights and has the garage lights status follow the back porch light status.

I really appreciate all the help, and I did resolve a printer noise problem which would periodically disturb the nearby Insteon neighbours. 

Missed that - sorry! Agree with others at this point. It looks like one switch does not receive the scene command from the other, but they both receive scene commands from the PLM. Points to comm - since all the link records appear to have been confirmed.

I agree it sounds like comm issue but I flipped every breaker in the house and the problem never improved.  Maybe the noise comes from my hydro service provider.

Just to be clear about your conundrum, when you flip the Garage Outdoor Lights toggle the Back Porch Outdoor Light does not respond to either On or Off and when you flip the Back Porch Outdoor Light toggle the Garage Outdoor Lights do not respond to either On of Off. This require that you test both on and off from both positions.

My post 25 is a summary of your posted information.

Wiring was concluded as being correct

Range Extenders were added to insure good coupling 

Posted device and PLM link record information shows devices cross-linked

PLM is described as "old" but requested level information was not posted

Scene Test shows both devices responded correctly to an Insteon Scene Off command  

At this point the bowl is full of water but the hand does not get wet when placed in the bowl.

When the result is "impossible" some fact or set of facts is not correct.  Check your local area for an experienced electrician who is knowledge about Insteon.  Although this might get solved by various folks asking overlapping questions about already documented conditions, this problem is better resolved by a good on site electrician with Insteon experience.  

If you want another step connect two ToggleLincs on an extension cord (red wires capped) plugged into PLM circuit.  Add devices to ISY without cross-link and verify LEVEL 3 Event Trace shows device messages from both devices.  Cross link devices and confirm they do or do not control each other.  If they do not control each other are device messages still showing in Event Trace.

Just to be clear about your conundrum, when you flip the Garage Outdoor Lights toggle the Back Porch Outdoor Light does not respond to either On or Off and when you flip the Back Porch Outdoor Light toggle the Garage Outdoor Lights do not respond to either On of Off. This require that you test both on and off from both positions.

Yes, it does not work from either switch.

My post 25 is a summary of your posted information.

Wiring was concluded as being correct

Range Extenders were added to insure good coupling 

Posted device and PLM link record information shows devices cross-linked

PLM is described as "old" but requested level information was not posted

Scene Test shows both devices responded correctly to an Insteon Scene Off command  

At this point the bowl is full of water but the hand does not get wet when placed in the bowl.

When the result is "impossible" some fact or set of facts is not correct.  Check your local area for an experienced electrician who is knowledge about Insteon.  Although this might get solved by various folks asking overlapping questions about already documented conditions, this problem is better resolved by a good on site electrician with Insteon experience.  

If you want another step connect two ToggleLincs on an extension cord (red wires capped) plugged into PLM circuit.  Add devices to ISY without cross-link and verify LEVEL 3 Event Trace shows device messages from both devices.  Cross link devices and confirm they do or do not control each other.  If they do not control each other are device messages still showing in Event Trace.

Sorry if I missed a question about PLM.  It is a 2413S V1.0 0931  There is some confusion here.  The paper sticker on back of PLM says V1.0, but the ISY diagnostic screen says V92

I do have 2 spare 2466sw, I'll wire them up to some extension cord and plug them in.

In post. #26, the PLM link table was confirmed to have the controller records needed. I wonder if this was actually the PLM link table, or ISYs view of it?

Possible to confirm that you get this from the PLM itself?

Have you tried a 'Restore Device' on the PLM itself?

I'm wondering if the link limit was reached in the PLM, especially if it's an older PLM. (Early PLMs had a much smaller link capacity if I remember correctly - I'm not sure if or how the ISY reports this condition....)

The ISY does not have a PLM based function where the "ISY" view of PLM link records can be displayed/compared to the "PLM" link records.  For other devices ISY has placed link records at absolute physical positions.   The ISY instructs the PLM to add/delete/update a link record in PLM without the ISY knowing where the link record is physically located in PLM.  It makes it impossible for the ISY to display an "ISY" version versus "PLM" version of link database nor do a Compare function for PLM.  

There is no Restore Device for PLM.  There is a File | Restore Modem (PLM) 

The 2412 PLM started at 417 link records, then went to 2000+ link records which is actually too many for the PLM to search before next device message requires the next search.  That is why the 2413 is 994 links with the 2413 PLM having a faster clock so searches of large PLM link database works.

This installation has a 2413 with very limited devices so a full PLM link database is not possible.   The PLM could have duplicate records so a File | Restore Modem (PLM) could be useful to eliminate all but active records in PLM. 

Archived