Interface with Amazon Echo?

awzulich

Hi Chuck,I do not use the emulator and therefore I really cannot give you any more information than what's already covered above. I think the best thing to do would be to try the emulator and, if it works well for you, then I really do not see any reason for moving to the portal.With kind regards,Michel

Thanks Michel. As much as I'd like to try the emulator I haven't been able to get it working so I really can't make an objective decision. I'm hoping others who have used the emulator and eventually the ISY portal would be willing to offer their experiences for the benefit of others like myself.

Thanks again for all you do as I can truly give UDI an A+ for customer service and dedication to it's products...

Chuck

Here's an interesting integration of Echo and the ISY that I'll be trying: http://forum.smarthome.com/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=17353#93089

What specifically interests you? Everything said looks like we will be able to do this without the hub. I am using it to turn on my home theater room projector, av rec, etc. I have changing channels in different rooms working, etc. I can say "Alexa turn on Monday Night Football in Living Room" and it does. Alexa integration is so d@nm nice!

Funny no mention of using the hub with Siri. Thats the only thing that would make the Insteon hub worth the cost, but then I am not sure if Siri really matters anymore to me now having the Amazon Echo.

I have one, bought one today and hoping it goes cheaper closer to the holidays as I want one more. Figure I can ask them to price match the one I just bought if it does go lower within 30 days. I figure theres a good chance we see it on sale again. I want it at $99!

I got it for $88 earlier today. Promo code ECHODEAL and sign up for amazon store card another $20 gift card, and 5% cash back!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What specifically interests you? Everything said looks like we will be able to do this without the hub. I am using it to turn on my home theater room projector, av rec, etc. I have changing channels in different rooms working, etc. I can say "Alexa turn on Monday Night Football in Living Room" and it does. Alexa integration is so d@nm nice!

Funny no mention of using the hub with Siri. Thats the only thing that would make the Insteon hub worth the cost, but then I am not sure if Siri really matters anymore to me now having the Amazon Echo.

Would you please elaborate on how you set up the channel changes using Alexa? I assume like myself you're using a WIFI to IR device and sending http get requests from the ISY network module? Or are you using some other method?

Thanks,

Chuck

Would you please elaborate on how you set up the channel changes using Alexa? I assume like myself you're using a WIFI to IR device and sending http get requests from the ISY network module? Or are you using some other method?

Thanks,

Chuck

I actually have a RTI remote control system linked with the Echo. Then I have a digital matrix distribute audio/video via HDMI over Cat6 to receiver baluns to each of my TVs, which have tx/rx IR control.

BUT if you have a Harmony remote you could do the same with their hub. Its documented in the "Amazon Echo and ISY" thread. You would just need a hub for each room and IR blaster to the TV. Prob could use a cheaper Wifi to IR solution like you mention but I havent gone that route as I dont need it.

Then I setup Alexa trigger name to something cool. I have EPSN, but then also saying "Monday Night Football" does the same macro to ESPN, Red Zone Channel for Sunday games, etc.

"Echodeal" didn't work for me...

You need to open the amazon store or amazon credit card for it to work. I didnt bother, I dont want another cc or hit on my credit report. I am picky when it comes to my personal credit. I just paid the $150 sale price vs the normal $180. Also I do have a Coti double cash back card so its 2% off I guess if you care.

I actually have a RTI remote control system linked with the Echo. Then I have a digital matrix distribute audio/video via HDMI over Cat6 to receiver baluns to each of my TVs, which have tx/rx IR control.

BUT if you have a Harmony remote you could do the same with their hub. Its documented in the "Amazon Echo and ISY" thread. You would just need a hub for each room and IR blaster to the TV. Prob could use a cheaper Wifi to IR solution like you mention but I havent gone that route as I dont need it.

Then I setup Alexa trigger name to something cool. I have EPSN, but then also saying "Monday Night Football" does the same macro to ESPN, Red Zone Channel for Sunday games, etc.

Very cool! Where do you set up the Alexa trigger name? I don't have an Echo yet but am doing my homework ahead of time so I know what I'm getting into. Currently I'm using a pair of RedEye WIFI to IR devices and set up a program for each IR command in my ISY using the network module. Based on my reading, the ISY portal will use both the lighting API and ISY skill for non lighting functions. However, it appears it will be a bit clumsy for my situation as I would have to say something like "Alex, ask my home to run Monday Night Football". Are you using virtual devices of some sort?

Thanks for your time,

Chuck

You need to open the amazon store or amazon credit card for it to work. I didnt bother, I dont want another cc or hit on my credit report. I am picky when it comes to my personal credit. I just paid the $150 sale price vs the normal $180. Also I do have a Coti double cash back card so its 2% off I guess if you care.

I'm in the same boat as you and very careful about opening new credit accounts so it wouldn't be worth it in this case. I'm thinking of waiting until Thanksgiving as I would think we might see a better deal. Any thoughts?

I'm in the same boat as you and very careful about opening new credit accounts so it wouldn't be worth it in this case. I'm thinking of waiting until Thanksgiving as I would think we might see a better deal. Any thoughts?

See my prev post #56 - Basically order one now then have them price match if it goes on sale lower? I dono if they will/do this but not sure why they wouldnt. Or as long as its within 30 days you could return the higher priced one and just buy it again lower. If they say no. Maybe point that out to them if the do say no and see if they change their position. Just a thought...

Very cool! Where do you set up the Alexa trigger name? I don't have an Echo yet but am doing my homework ahead of time so I know what I'm getting into. Currently I'm using a pair of RedEye WIFI to IR devices and set up a program for each IR command in my ISY using the network module. Based on my reading, the ISY portal will use both the lighting API and ISY skill for non lighting functions. However, it appears it will be a bit clumsy for my situation as I would have to say something like "Alex, ask my home to run Monday Night Football". Are you using virtual devices of some sort?

Thanks for your time,

Chuck

I am using the hue emulator right now. But expect to switch over fully when the skill is out and get the portal. In the emulator right now you can set any names you want. Plus Michel just posted "home" was not approved by Amazon but Izzy was. Which I do like better. So now I think the command will be "Alexa ask Izzy to turn on ESPN" then it will your run your program set in the ISY triggering the networking module for your communication to the RedEye. AFAIK the Amazon skill will run devices, programs and scenes on the ISY. I also use this to control my motorized shades. The catch now with this is only ON/OFF commands work. Again expect it to change some with the skill once released. So "Alexa turn off living room shades" closes them, turn on opens them.

Hope this helps.

I am using the hue emulator right now. But expect to switch over fully when the skill is out and get the portal. In the emulator right now you can set any names you want. Plus Michel just posted "home" was not approved by Amazon but Izzy was. Which I do like better. So now I think the command will be "Alexa ask Izzy to turn on ESPN" then it will your run your program set in the ISY triggering the networking module for your communication to the RedEye. AFAIK the Amazon skill will run devices, programs and scenes on the ISY. I also use this to control my motorized shades. The catch now with this is only ON/OFF commands work. Again expect it to change some with the skill once released. So "Alexa turn off living room shades" closes them, turn on opens them.

Hope this helps.

This is very helpful. Out of curiosity, I am curious to know why you would switch over from the Hue Emulator if it's working well and also free to the ISY portal, especially since you can create custom name tags which I don't believe you will be able to do using the portal. I'm in no way beating up in the ISY portal as I most likely will be using it myself. I'm just trying to understand the differences between the two...

Thanks again for your info as it's very helpful,

Chuck

This is very helpful. Out of curiosity, I am curious to know why you would switch over from the Hue Emulator if it's working well and also free to the ISY portal, especially since you can create custom name tags which I don't believe you will be able to do using the portal. I'm in no way beating up in the ISY portal as I most likely will be using it myself. I'm just trying to understand the differences between the two...

Thanks again for your info as it's very helpful,

Chuck

The emulator maxes out at a certain amount of devices. Right now its fine because I dont have many setup yet, just my most used ones so havent hit the max yet. I probably have 10 total devices & commands now for the important stuff. Who knows how many more I actually need!? I could easily delete some like "Monday Night Football" and stay with ESPN since its the same macro just different named command.

I hope your wrong and we can create custom names & run programs. I just assumed the portal/skills would be the same. Anyone care to chime in here? Am I wrong? If I cant this will be a huge downside and I will have to look into BWS setup and see about using his instead. I think with his there are no device limitations and works like the hue emulator I am using already. I now will have to investigate.

If all works as it does now I rather give Michel my money and go all within the ISY so I dont need to use a PI and deal with configuring one, which I think BWS does require. Also v5 firmware is coming so that also may change things. Just waiting to see...

The emulator maxes out at a certain amount of devices. Right now its fine because I dont have many setup yet, just my most used ones so havent hit the max yet. I probably have 10 total devices & commands now for the important stuff. Who knows how many more I actually need!? I could easily delete some like "Monday Night Football" and stay with ESPN since its the same macro just different named command.

I hope your wrong and we can create custom names & run programs. I just assumed the portal/skills would be the same. Anyone care to chime in here? Am I wrong? If I cant this will be a huge downside and I will have to look into BWS setup and see about using his instead. I think with his there are no device limitations and works like the hue emulator I am using already. I now will have to investigate.

If all works as it does now I rather give Michel my money and go all within the ISY so I dont need to use a PI and deal with configuring one, which I think BWS does require. Also v5 firmware is coming so that also may change things. Just waiting to see...

Based on a post I read from either Michel or another UDI mod, we definitely can run programs using the skill, however we can't create custom name tags for devices or programs as they will simply be generated using the existing names found on your ISY. Furthermore, you will also need to preface your request with either "run" or "execute" to launch a program. So, based on my set up this could get a bit clunky using the following example: Let's say I wanted to turn on my family room TV. The syntax would be "Alexa, tell Izzy to run family room TV on". It's not the end of the world, however it would certainly be much more advantageous to be able to use more natural language rather than having to think in computer terms. Perhaps once we have virtual devices, this issue could be solved...

Let's say I wanted to turn on my family room TV. The syntax would be "Alexa, tell Izzy to run family room TV on". It's not the end of the world, however it would certainly be much more advantageous to be able to use more natural language rather than having to think in computer terms.

Echo, when the Hub is a gateway, can send only direct commands to devices. Echo, when used like this, has no access to On-levels nor programs.

I added a few devices today to the Hub 2 & Echo  following these instructions. If you add devices to a "group" and name that group "family room TV". then you can say, "Alexa, turn on the family room TV.

Caveat: When used in this manner, the Hub app has no concept of scenes nor programs. Scenes and programs, when named uniquely in the ISY shouldl be as easy.

Echo, when the Hub is a gateway, can send only direct commands to devices. Echo, when used like this, has no access to On-levels nor programs.

I added a few devices today to the Hub 2 & Echo  following these instructions. If you add devices to a "group" and name that group "family room TV". then you can say, "Alexa, turn on the family room TV.

Caveat: When used in this manner, the Hub app has no concept of scenes nor programs. Scenes and programs, when named uniquely in the ISY shouldl be as easy.

Based on what Michel has said, the only way to launch programs on the ISY using the Echo via the portal is to use the skill name followed by either run or execute, i.e. "Alexa, ask Izzy to run...". I see no way of grouping programs into scenes on the ISY at least not yet. I'm hoping that down the road this will all change and we will have much more granular control over naming devices, programs, etc. for use with the Echo.

I see no way of grouping programs into scenes on the ISY at least not yet.

Well no, but, programs can call other programs so it is possible to at least chain things together.

-Xathros

]

Agreed, however in my case I use an ISY network resource for each IR command covering each of my IR components which to my knowledge can only be executed through an ISY program. That said, the only way I can see controlling IR devices in my situation is by using the Eco skill to execute these programs containing the appropriate network resource correlating to the IR component I wish to control. As much as I'd love to be able to say "Alexa, turn on the family room TV", in reality I would have to say "Alexa, tell Izzy to run program family room tv on".

Agreed, however in my case I use an ISY network resource for each IR command covering each of my IR components which to my knowledge can only be executed through an ISY program. That said, the only way I can see controlling IR devices in my situation is by using the Eco skill to execute these programs containing the appropriate network resource correlating to the IR component I wish to control. As much as I'd love to be able to say "Alexa, turn on the family room TV", in reality I would have to say "Alexa, tell Izzy to run program family room tv on".

I can see a workaround involving a physical Insteon device like a LampLinc or even a KPL button.  You could name a KPL Button Scene for "Family Room TV" and have a program that monitors the Status of that button.  When the button turns on, the program runs then and issues your network resource commands to turn on the AV equipment.  When the button turns Off, the program runs else to shut things down.  Granted, this would be better with a virtual device but seems like a viable workaround in the meantime.

-Xathros

Archived