Insteon Thermostat

smokegrub

I am assessing the usefulness of the subject thermostat(s) to my application. We are frequently away from home and, following power outages, the day/time data become inaccurate. When I program the ISY and use day/time, will the program use the incorrect data in the thermostat or will it ignore the data in the thermostat and use day/time data from the ISY? Will the ISY be able to manage months/years at some point in the future? What about temperature data obtained using the weather module? Thanks.

The ISY doesn't care what the date/time is on the thermostat. The ISY has its own clock. I understand that revision 5+ has date capabilities without necessitating a year. I don't have a weather module, but if you can assign the temperature to a variable, then you can use that variable in a program to control the Insteon thermostat.

With respect to your weather question it really comes down to how close the station is in relations to your local area. Some weather stations can be 25 - 100's of miles from your location which may not accurately reflect the weather.

This is more of a concern with rain data because relying on a station that has rain - but your local areas doesn't can waste precious resources etc. For general ambient temperatures the weather module is OK for that purpose.

Those who require hyper local weather data tend to deploy a much more expansive solution such as the Davis Vantage Pro units. Doing so allows the end user to send that local data to HAM (this is the weather service UDI uses) but allows the local weather station to report it via the ISY Series Controller.

I just wanted to call out those few tid bits for you . . .

I am assessing the usefulness of the subject thermostat(s) to my application. We are frequently away from home and, following power outages, the day/time data become inaccurate. When I program the ISY and use day/time, will the program use the incorrect data in the thermostat or will it ignore the data in the thermostat and use day/time data from the ISY? Will the ISY be able to manage months/years at some point in the future? What about temperature data obtained using the weather module? Thanks.

Following power outages ISY will have lost the temperature also until the 2441xTH reports a temperature change. Inside a home environment with regulated temperatures this could be a long time.

BTW; ISY can set the time on a Insteon 2441ZTH thermostat.

My sincere thanks. I have a wireless Insteon thermostat that get numerous power failures. I use a program to reset the mode and temperature setting and it displays the correct temperature within a minute or two.

Sounds like these tstats are going to meet my needs. I will assess other details such as my systems, number of wires, etc. and, if all goes well, install as a winter project.

My sincere thanks. I have a wireless Insteon thermostat that get numerous power failures. I use a program to reset the mode and temperature setting and it displays the correct temperature within a minute or two.

Sounds like these tstats are going to meet my needs. I will assess other details such as my systems, number of wires, etc. and, if all goes well, install as a winter project.

I assume you are referring to the thermostat losing power and not the ISY.

I don't think there anything ISY can do to force a thermostat to send it's temperature. You just have to wait for a change of more than about 1.5 degrees.

I leave the batteries in my 2441ZTH units and when the grid fails they don't.

No, I am referring to both having lost power.

When my stat comes back up following a power failure it has lost its mode and temperature setting. The program restores these and all is then well.

I like the idea of leaving the batteries in place. That might address my problem with an alternative approach. I will try that.

I assume you are referring to the thermostat losing power and not the ISY.

I don't think there anything ISY can do to force a thermostat to send it's temperature. You just have to wait for a change of more than about 1.5 degrees.

I leave the batteries in my 2441ZTH units and when the grid fails they don't.

If you're going to replace the thermostat (with anything), it's probably best to do it way before winter arrives B)

Normally good advice Stu, but in my situation I am at home during the winter but away half the time during the summer. Using the thermostats to remotely adjust the AC while we are returning will make the wife happy. I feel certain, however, that as soon as I get them installed I will find many other programming options that will simplify my life and save money.

Archived