Autelis Bridge Questions

Hackjaz

Teken (and others),

Having tried an Insteon Wireless Thermostat to monitor my deep freeze temp (and discovered its shortcomings), I've returned it and begun to explore other options. Much of my research and most of the threads here have pointed me to the Autelis bridge (largely due to recommendations by Teken

1. Yes absolutely would do it again just wish it was available many years ago!

2. RS232 is the route to go when interfacing with the ISY Series Controller.

3. DS18B20 are my preferred choice because they can be read down to 0.1 degrees. If you purchase the SS encapsulated ones you see in my photos they will operate fine in all extreme temperatures.

4. I will need to upload a few new photos of the install as much of it is being redeployed to allow a new placement.

Please do post up your questions and look forward to your install and journey.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Wow! Thanks for the quick response! Looks like I have some shopping to do!

I look forward to seeing photos after the redeploy!

- Hackjaz

You just have perfect timing is all! With regards to wiring if you plan on using Ethernet cable spend a little extra for CAT6 cable.

CAT5e cable is 24 gauge where as the other is 23 gauge. Only purchase certified cable and never CCA cable.

Copper Clad Aluminum is not NEC / CEC approved for in wall use. If you see a 500 roll going for $25-35.00 it either fell off a truck or is CCA wire.

The box will state it's pure copper if it's certified.

If you're sure fail over is not required in key areas you can use 22-4 alarm wire which is even thicker and in wall rated.

But for areas that are going to be a real PITA use CAT6 cable for redundancy and fail over.

From personal experience run two sensors for outside, attic, any hard to access location. You will thank me later and save lots of hair in your head in the long run.

You also need to determine if you're going to home run all wiring or use a star topology or a hybrid wiring infrastructure. For short runs it doesn't really matter to the Autelis Bridge.

Also if you have read all related threads you will note 32 sensors are only supported for short runs. My network exceeds almost 1 mile so this plays a huge role in this aspect.

1 Wire sensors are cheap so buy them in bulk and have extra on hand. It's a very much hit or miss with some vendors and price on the net doesn't always translate to quality or the lack there of.

I've had my original sensors going strong for more than 5 years. But later sensors have crapped out etc.

As an aside it should be noted some of my past threads about this topic were pretty heated so please keep that in mind as blazing a trail for the first time often results in lots of trial and error.

Lastly please do reference the fantastic programs from my partner in crime Xathros.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

• 1 month later...

An update:

I maybe should have mentioned from the start that this project will probably be a semi-slow multiphase process for me. I plan to start in my utility room, monitoring temperature in a deep freeze as well as the utility room itself. This is where I plan to house my "wiring closet" making it a logical place to start (and since the deep freeze was what I originally wanted to monitor). I plan to gradually run cabling to the rest of the house to expand my 1-wire network, as well as deploy a wired Ethernet network & run coax cable to various locations.

That being said, the first few boxes of "stuff" have started to arrive! I took advantage of some Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals & placed orders with Smarthome, Monoprice, & Autelis, to name a few places. I did opt to go with CAT6 cabling and ordered a 1,000 foot spool from Monoprice (23 gauge, solid copper, etc.). I am planning to home run CAT6 to a rack mounted patch panel, punching down strands of single CAT6 wires (separated from a length of cable) to bridge all incoming wiring from my 1-wire sensors before going into my Autelis Bridge (instead of the terminal blocks you used). In theory, it all makes sense in my head & should work... :)

So far, my Monoprice order has arrived & I've had a chance to look over the network side of things. Tomorrow my Autelis Bridge & first round of 1-wire sensors are scheduled to be delivered & I can't wait to get started! Get ready for the questions to start pouring in!! :D

Hackjaz

An update:

I maybe should have mentioned from the start that this project will probably be a semi-slow multiphase process for me. I plan to start in my utility room, monitoring temperature in a deep freeze as well as the utility room itself. This is where I plan to house my "wiring closet" making it a logical place to start (and since the deep freeze was what I originally wanted to monitor). I plan to gradually run cabling to the rest of the house to expand my 1-wire network, as well as deploy a wired Ethernet network & run coax cable to various locations.

That being said, the first few boxes of "stuff" have started to arrive! I took advantage of some Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals & placed orders with Smarthome, Monoprice, & Autelis, to name a few places. I did opt to go with CAT6 cabling and ordered a 1,000 foot spool from Monoprice (23 gauge, solid copper, etc.). I am planning to home run CAT6 to a rack mounted patch panel, punching down strands of single CAT6 wires (separated from a length of cable) to bridge all incoming wiring from my 1-wire sensors before going into my Autelis Bridge (instead of the terminal blocks you used). In theory, it all makes sense in my head & should work... :)

So far, my Monoprice order has arrived & I've had a chance to look over the network side of things. Tomorrow my Autelis Bridge & first round of 1-wire sensors are scheduled to be delivered & I can't wait to get started! Get ready for the questions to start pouring in!! :D

Hackjaz

Hello Hackjaz,

It sounds to me your X-MAS is going to be fun filled this season! Very happy to hear you went with Mono Price for the CAT6 Ethhernet cable. The investment of the wire down the road can be used for so many other things besides your 1-wire.

Money well spent for this cable which offers much higher performance for a hard wired network. I would like to see you track your efforts with documentation & photo's. As I really enjoy watching others do same as I in hopes of learning something new or a different perspective.

Were you able to get a good source for the 1 wire SS sensors?

Also for your reference because I was on a (accuracy mission) I took the time to measure and validate each sensor using a known baseline. This allowed me to install mission critical sensors in areas that were important to me and know the total variance was less than 0.1'C.

In other areas were it wasn't as important those that were 0.3'C were placed in general spaces. Its safe to say a variance of 0.1 - 0.3'C is any world is simply fantastic in terms of accuracy!

Keep us all in the loop . . . 

• 1 month later...

Hello guys, please keep posting your progress, pictures, issues or other. I am watching this topic as planning to have sensors around my house (I currently have insteon network and isy99 controller). Sorry but still don't really understand how temperature sensors terminated at the end. You connected them to Ethernet cable and connect to the autelis bride with RJ45 (one sensor=one port)?

thanks

2. RS232 is the route to go when interfacing with the ISY Series Controller.

I have included Teken's post as it flags him, to draw his attention to the thread. Please see the post above also.

How is the RS232 used with the ISY, since ISY has no available RS-232 port,  after connecting to a PLM?

Archived