Wifi Thermostat with documented local API

Amigo

Hello guys, newbie here, wanted to get some feedback on wifi thermostats that you guys have been using.

I need one that has a well documented API so I can integrate multiple under one roof.

So far I am looking at www.radiothermostat.com since they have a documented API. But then I saw Venstar seems to have an API as well.

I am not interested in cloud based API, I want to connect and control locally.

Also, anyone know if honeywell has released any APIs for their wifi stat?

cheers.

Welcome Amigo!

No on Honeywell. I have 2 venstar colortouches and they can be managed locally via a rest api.

If you search this forum for venlink, there is a utility program that interfaces the colortouch with the ISY from io_guy.

I don't have experience with radiothermstat, don't know either way.

Paul

Thank you for the quick reply.

I will be using the thermostats in commercial applications, small office buildings with up to 10 rooftop units/Thermostats.

Will venstars be able to withstand commercial use in your opinion?

Do Venstars support DegC display and settings?

I am planning to have a buddy of mine write the interface on a small embedded linux box that will also support other building automation protocols like BACnet, LON, Modbus. So we can tie in the boiler system and chiller system, etc. as well.

cheers.

There are commercial versions of them if you search their site. Of each type, commercial vs non commercial, the different models offer humidity reporting and control, or no humidity report or control. It does support C.

The commercial versions also have features to use the screen for advertising / messaging. The venstar marketing info says there is the ability to interface with building management software, but I don't use it commercially, venstar will have to answer that. Also, the venstar skyport web site lets you aggregate thermostats by address and control a number of features and settings remotely.

I would recommend it. Some of the down sides:, some users report that the the temperature sensing is too sensitive. Also, some of features in the skyport website aren't complete, and it goes down every few months. I haven't had the sensitivity issues, and even with the other warts, I am really happy with it.

I think you will be happy with it, but you will want to read through the venlink forum here were these topics are discussed.

I'm not familiar with that one, it's case is designed more like earlier model venstars. I would email/call venstar support to confirm that the wifi module for this stat supports the local api feature.

Its interesting that this device can alternatively support wifi, zigbee and zwave.

Archived