Scenes and No Programs

zerop

Trying to figure out if this can be done with scenes only and no programs.

I have two separate lights and a keypad.  I would like both the upper lights and the vanity lights to be connected to the “c” button on the keypad so when either light turns on, the “c” turns on.  I also want only the upper lights to turn on if I turn on the lights from the “c” button.  My problem is if both lights are on and I turn off the vanity lights I want “c” to stay on because the upper lights are still on (and vice versa).  Is this possible only with scenes and no programs (or scene adjusts)?  I can only think of the following:

Scene 1

Upper lights (controller), Keypad C (responder)

Scene 2

Vanity lights (controller), Keypad C (responder)

Scene 3

Keypad C (controller), Upper light (responder set at 100% on level), Vanity light (responder set at 0% on level)

Again the problem is when both lights are on, if you turn one light off, the “c” button goes off and the other light is still on.  Is there a way around this I can’t think of?

zerop, your thinking is correct, but the ISY does not recognize all of controller, responder or both, only both and responder. That is, when you select a device to be a controller, it's both a controller and a responder. An exception is devices that can be only controllers, for example, a motion sensor.

on a similar topic:

I have some keypad linc devices 2487S devices and have them integrated into my home automation system

I have programs I run from an  isy99

I have used the insteon linking to connect the keypad linc devices  to various other  insteon controllers for lights and pumps/fans etc… and they work okay, but I now  want to use the status of the buttons to drive the programs for some reason the isy does not recognize the status of the A,B,C and D buttons.

There is an option in the programs section of isy to run programs within a folder when a status of a button is met and thought I could use the status of the A,B C and D buttons on the leypad linc. Is this correct?

What am I doing worng?

You say you used insteon linking.  Does that literally mean you did the button press method to create scenes?  If so, the PLM won't know when those scenes change so the ISY can't respond.  You would have to readd all of the devices to the ISY while keeping the existing scenes, and that looks a little ugly with the default names generated.  Best practice would be to factory reset and add them back blank, then rebuild the scenes through the ISY interface. 

no when i said i did the linking , i have two keypad link s one at each end of the house and linked the A,B, C and D or each so  you press A on one and it lights up on that keypad and also on the other keypad.

i did not use the linking to set the scenes up as i think that is too complicated and not flixible enough.

i want to run a set of programs in a folder when a button is pressed so i can do a vacation button to randomize lights on etc...

and a night time watching tv button that sets lights and aircon etc....

There is an option in the programs section of isy to run programs within a folder when a status of a button is met and thought I could use the status of the A,B C and D buttons on the leypad linc. Is this correct?

No, I would say that is, technically, NOT correct. 

While there is an option in the programs section that allows one to put programs in a folder, and that one can establish conditions for those folders, such folder conditions do not "RUN" the programs.  Rather, those folder conditions "ENABLE" those programs.  Once enabled, there must still be an event that triggers the contained programs.

not from here ,at work now, but will  get it hear when i get home tonight. can you confirm what the KPL buttons are? not heard that referecne.

really love my insteon stuff but need to understand how to get the most out of it

KPL (buttons) = KeypadLinc (buttons)

i have a folder in the program tab of the isy.  

when i click onthe folder i have entered a statement in the window, see attached photo below. does this make sense. i think the logic is okay ,but when i hit the D button ( or any of the a,b,c or d) the isy does not recognize they have been pressed?

cannot upload the image ( or do not know how)

program text says:

if

status 'keypadlink pat D ' is on

then

allow programs in this folder to run

Remove the folder condition

Put the KLP button "D" in the scene as a controller.

What are the programs that you're trying to run when the button is pressed?

the program i run are for thingslike switch the lights of when we go out

turn the air con down so it is not as cold

that kind of stuff

another button would be for vacation so will put the air con on vacation mode so a little giher and the will randomize some of the on /off timings of the lights ot make it appear we are hear

will try your suggestion and let oyu know how i get on , thans for the help so far

no when i said i did the linking , i have two keypad link s one at each end of the house and linked the A,B, C and D or each so  you press A on one and it lights up on that keypad and also on the other keypad.

i did not use the linking to set the scenes up as i think that is too complicated and not flixible enough.

Scenes are how the ISY creates links. If you did not use scenes, then how did you do the linking?

i have a folder in the program tab of the isy.  

when i click onthe folder i have entered a statement in the window, see attached photo below. does this make sense. i think the logic is okay ,but when i hit the D button ( or any of the a,b,c or d) the isy does not recognize they have been pressed?

Your program looks fine to me.  I would expect that, once button D is on, the programs would be enabled and should run at next trigger event.  If the ISY is not recognizing the button presses, I would be looking for communication problems.  It could also be a link record problem.  I don't believe this is a program problem.

From your device list, find the button D.  Does it show correct status.  Go press button D.  Does the ISY still show correct status? 

Archived