trigger based on CONTROL or STATUS?

MikeB

I have some triggers set for my bathroom lights/vents. One of them is a trigger based on CONTROL so that if I, say, turn on my main bathroom light switch, the trigger will wait 60 mins, then turn it off in case it was accidentally left on.

However, I also have some FAST ON/FAST OFF triggers set so that if, say, both lights & vent are on in my main bathroom, I can simply double-tap the main switch OFF, which will turn off everything in the bathroom.

So, I walk to the bathroom and turn my bathroom light on, and also turn my vent on. This starts a trigger based on control that will turn them both off 60 mins after they were turned on.

However, when I leave the bathroom I double-tap the main light switch off, which turns everything in the bahtroom off.

BUT - since I never turned the vent off via the switch, the original trigger continues to run and it will still try to turn the vent off in 60 mins.

I believe the solution would be to make my times based on STATUS instead of CONTROL. Does this make sense? Any drawbacks that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

BUT - since I never turned the vent off via the switch, the original trigger continues to run and it will still try to turn the vent off in 60 mins.

You are correct, it will still try to turn the vent off in 60 minutes.

It probably wouldn't hurt anything to have it try to turn the vent off if its already off, but using STATUS would prevent that. It may actually be simpler to use STATUS, just having one program for the light and one for the vent. You wouldn't need any program for the control.

Something like:

If
   Status 'Vent' is On

Then
  Wait 60 minutes
  Set 'Vent' off

It probably wouldn't hurt anything to have it try to turn the vent off if its already off

Right, my concern was if someone turned the vent on and it turned off unexpectedly.

Something like:

If
   Status 'Vent' is On

Then
  Wait 60 minutes
  Set 'Vent' off

That's what my code looks like now, except I'm using 'control'.

I'll try 'status' instead.

Thanks!!

Right, my concern was if someone turned the vent on and it turned off unexpectedly.

You are right, if something other than the vent switch turned the vent on, then it could go off unexpectedly. If only the vent switch controls the vent (not other triggers or anything else), then this would not be a problem because each time you hit the switch it would restart the trigger.

Archived