PLM died, and now everything is just broken!

trocks797

What would the best course of action be if there isn't a useful backup to revert to to re-establish the links? I replaced my PLM 8 months ago, have wondered why I lost certain functionality. Is there a way to re-establish the appropriate PLM and device links - I'm missing the aforementioned E2... PLM links.

Mark

What would the best course of action be if there isn't a useful backup to revert to to re-establish the links? I replaced my PLM 8 months ago, have wondered why I lost certain functionality. Is there a way to re-establish the appropriate PLM and device links - I'm missing the aforementioned E2... PLM links.

Mark

I believe "restore device" will rebuild PLM link records.  You might try and check...

Jon...

I believe "restore device" will rebuild PLM link records.  You might try and check...

Jon...

No such luck - the links do not appear to be stored by the ISY any longer. Is there a process to re-initialize (re-create) all the device and PLM links?

Mark

No such luck - the links do not appear to be stored by the ISY any longer. Is there a process to re-initialize (re-create) all the device and PLM links?

Mark

What exactly is the issue you're having?  The lack of E2 record isn't necessarily an indication of missing PLM record or otherwise a problem.  E2 is a link record for a controller whereas A2 is a link record for a responder.

Jon...

KeypadLinc button presses no longer trigger programs on the ISY and little control programs such as turn off/on all lights in a room with a fast on/off (double switch press) no longer function. Based on this forum string, I suspect the lack of E2 link records on the KeypadLinc and SwitchLincs is the culprit.

This all started after I replace my PLM. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the proper procedure for replacement, so the prior device link records have been lost.

Lacking a good ISY backup, what is the appropriate procedure to re-establish the device links? Is this a situation where I need to factory reset all Insteon devices and delete the modem on the ISY and start linking everything all over? Once the devices have been re-linked and renamed, re-import the programs from the current configuration?

This sounds painful, and I'm hoping there is an easier way.

Mark

"Lacking a good ISY backup, what is the appropriate procedure to re-establish the device links? Is this a situation where I need to factory reset all Insteon devices and delete the modem on the ISY and start linking everything all over? Once the devices have been re-linked and renamed, re-import the programs from the current configuration?"

Never Delete the PLM.  That creates this problem.

Once the links are lost, normally a File | Restore Devices will restore them.  If this does not restore the links because they were deleted from ISY, then restoring an ISY Backup taken before links were deleted from ISY followed by another File | Restore Devices should resolve the links.

If no ISY Backup was created before replacing PLM (and File | Restore Devices does not resolve) then deleting each device, factory reset device, adding device back to ISY is required.  

Again, NEVER Delete Modem (PLM).  This action deletes the links from the ISY. 

Thanks for all the good advice.

I ended up deleting and factory resetting all of the controller devices (but not the Modem). Then re-linked and renamed to the previous device names and re-created the impacted scenes by adding the deleted controllers back in. All the programs now work again, with fairly minimal time and effort. Using the Diagnostics -> Show Device Links Tables now shows the missing E2... links to the PLM, and a compare of the responder devices that I did not factory reset show the Device and ISY Tables are in synch.

Then I did a Backup ISY.

Mark

Archived