Getting started with Security Cameras

wayneph

I am trying to get started with security cameras and I'm not really sure which way to go.  I've got ISY with Insteon, but am pretty much just using it with switches and lamp modules at this point, but want to expand it more.  Additionally, I was looking to add a motion sensor to the porch to turn on the lights as someone approaches the front door.  Since there are similar requirements, trigger an action when something is moving, I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

Are there any recommendations for products/configurations that are relatively simple to setup?  I've looked at the Insteon cameras, as well as a couple IP cameras and really don't know which way to go from here.  Is there anything else that I should be considering?  (Or not be considering to simplify things?)

I apologize for the open ended question, but I really wasn't sure how to hone in on anything more specific.

Wayne

Depends a lot on your goals for the cameras, and how paranoid you are. Will you ultimately want a lot of cameras (say, more than 8)? If so, you'll need some horsepower for recording. What kind of image quality are you after? Cheaper cameras have cheaper image sensors, which makes them less than ideal if you need to prove something in court. It sounds like you're looking to go wireless, but consider wired also. If you choose PoE cameras, you can power them from a PoE switch over a single wire, which is the same number of wires you'd need to provide to a "wireless" camera (gotta power it somehow).

Will you want access from outside your network? Will you manage this yourself, or will you need a plug-and-play solution? Are you going to use your ISY to make cameras do things? (Active/passive, change PTZ settings, take stills). Will you take precautions to ensure an intruder can't access the recording device?

I would stick with motion detectors for motion sensing. The wind and shadows will play havoc with outdoor motion sensing. PIR motion sensors are more reliable. Software like Sighthound can help with this, but it requires significant computing power to do the analysis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just more proof for me that I needed to ask the question...

I'm guessing that I would max out at 3 or 4 cameras, although if everything goes well I suppose it could go up.  Ultimately, I would like to go wired, but since I am retrofitting this into a 2 story house, I have limited options based on access to certain areas.  (When I replaced my HVAC, I lost my Insteon thermostat because I couldn't get 7-wire to the main level for the 2-stage control.)

I was hoping to add Mobilinc for the camera access (and to get more remote device control) but as an Android user, it appears that Mobilinc won't help me with cameras.  Ideally I could control the ISY and review cameras in a single application, but that may not happen with Android.  At this point, my main goal is reviewing cameras after events.  With the season of UPS/FedEx leaving packages on doorsteps, I'm really looking for capturing images should something go missing.  Long term, I can envision wanting to control the cameras with ISY, but I think I need to start with the basics before trying to over-complicate things.

I've had a few thoughts about where to locate the recording device to try and protect the device, but I haven't fully thought through it.  I have a small MoCA network (serves to FireTVs that stream my TV Service from HDHomerun) that could be used to help keep the device away from the rest of my computer equipment.  It's better than just wireless and allowed me to use the existing cable line for areas I couldn't get new cat5e/6 runs to.

Guess I have some more research to do.  We'll see if anything looks good on Cyber Monday specials.

Although you can view IP cameras from the ISY, there is no particular advantage. In fact, the ISY image is somewhat smaller than viewing the camera using the software included with virtually all IP cameras or "universal" IP camera software. You also need to consider recording. It's best to use a DVR or separate computer due to the processing power needed to record.

A DVR is considerably less costly than an NVR. DVRs require CCTV cameras. I'm not making any recommendation, only mentioning another option. I actually use both CCTV and IP cameras.

Archived