3-Way SwitchLink Wiring Question

dbuss

I'm trying install two SwitchLink Dimmers 2477D into an existing 3-way light circuit.

The 4 gang electrical box where the line is connected has two cables coming into it for the 3-way circuit. One cable has a white and black wire the other cable has white, black and red wires in it. The line was connected to a bundle of black wires in the four gang box. The red wire from the 3 wire cable was connected to the black wire in the 2 wire cable. White wire from the 2 wire cable was connected to the bundled white wires in the four gang box. The black and white wires from the 3 wire cable were connected to the switch. 

The other switch box has a 3 wire cable with red, black and white wires. The red wire is connected to the black screw and the white and black wires are connected to the other two screws.

How do I connect the Insteon devices?

Thanks!!

If I were you I'd open up the fixture and see how it's connected there. Likely the red wire being fed from the 4 gang box is going to be connected to either the white or black wire being fed to the other switch and the red wire from this switch is going to the light.  You're going to end up with one of the Switchlinc's connected to the load while the other is going to be "virtual."  Looks to me like you could wire it either way.  Pictures would help but I'd also draw out the circuit and test using a voltmeter.

Jon...

Is there a 2-wire cable at the 4-gang box that you didn't mention with the white wire connected to the bundle of white wires and the black wire connected to the black screw?

Is there a 2-wire cable at the 4-gang box that you didn't mention with the white wire connected to the bundle of white wires and the black wire connected to the black screw?

There is not a 2-wire cable at the 4-gang box. The wire that is connected to the black screw comes from the bundle of black wires. 

There is not a 2-wire cable at the 4-gang box. The wire that is connected to the black screw comes from the bundle of black wires. 

The 4 gang electrical box where the line is connected has two cables coming into it for the 3-way circuit. One cable has a white and black wire the other cable has white, black and red wires in it.

Both these statements can't be true!

The black wire connects to the black screw comes from the bundle of black wires. There is a two wire cable that supplies the line to the 4-gang box. The black wire from this cable is connected to the black bundle and the white wire is connected to the white bundle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Still confused. You indicated that, at the 4-gang box, the black wire from the 2-wire cable connects to the black screw on the 3-way switch. Also, that the black wire from the 2-wire cable connects the red wire from the 3-wire cable.

Still confused. You indicated that, at the 4-gang box, the black wire from the 2-wire cable connects to the black screw on the 3-way switch. Also, that the black wire from the 2-wire cable connects the red wire from the 3-wire cable.

The black wire from the two-wire cable connects to the red wire from the 3-wire cable. There is another 2-wire cable coming into the box that supplies line to the box. The black wire from this cable is connected to the black bundle and the white wire to the white bundle. The wire from the black screw is connected to the black wire bundle. 

Until Stu is up on West coast,  Unswitched Line and Neutral go to both SwitchLincs.  This provides power to both devices.  The Load wire to light is connected to Red wire of one SwitchLinc.  The Red wire on other SwitchLinc is capped, no connection.

I appreciate your help on this lee & Stu as i attempt to get my head wrapped around this 3-way circuit.

It appears to me that the 3-wire cable runs to the other switch box of the 3-way circuit and the 2-wire cable runs to the light. Am I correct?

Thanks!!

Certainly what could be expected.   Two conventional switches could be connected with a 3 wire + Grd cable.   I've changed all my devices to Insteon years ago so I know what is needed but Stu is much better at remotely analyzing the configuration.  If knowing that the 2 Insteon devices need to be powered with unswitched power (Line and Neutral) is not enough then it best to wait for the expert (Stu).

It appears to me that the 3-wire cable runs to the other switch box of the 3-way circuit and the 2-wire cable runs to the light. Am I correct?

That's makes sense only if there's a second 2-wire cable.

That's makes sense only if there's a second 2-wire cable.

There is a second 2-wire cable that supplies line to the 4-gang box that is part of the black bundle and the black screw is connected with a wire to that bundle.

Can you click on the url and then see the image?

This is what I get when clicking on your link:

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

There is a second 2-wire cable that supplies line to the 4-gang box that is part of the black bundle and the black screw is connected with a wire to that bundle.

Hmm, I've been asking about that. I'll be out for a few hours. That's good, it'll give you some time to provide a more accurate description of the wiring B)

Hmm, I've been asking about that. I'll be out for a few hours. That's good, it'll give you some time to provide a more accurate description of the wiring B)

There is a 2-wire cable with black and white wires. Black is connected to the black screw on the switch and white to white bundle. There are two additional cables associated with this switch. There two additional cables associated with this switch. One cable has a white and black wire the other cable has white, black and red wires in it. The red wire from the 3 wire cable was connected to the black wire in the 2 wire cable. White wire from the 2 wire cable was connected to the bundled white wires in the four gang box. The black and white wires from the 3 wire cable were connected to the switch. 

This is what I think I am hearing.

Branch offs from the white bundle and black bundle are not mentioned in the wiring chart.

4 Gang                      Fixture                     Remote Sw.
----------------                ------------                   --------------

feed/Bk - Sw/B
feed/W -  2w/W          2w/W - lamp/W

Sw/S - 3w/Bk                                               3w/Bk - Sw/S
Sw/S - 3w/W                                                3w/W -  Sw/S

3w/R - 2w/Bk             2w/Bk - lamp/Bk        3w/R -  Sw/Bk

This is what I think I am hearing.

Branch offs from the white bundle and black bundle are not mentioned in the wiring chart.

4 Gang                      Fixture                     Remote Sw.

----------------                ------------                   --------------

feed/Bk - Sw/B

feed/W -  2w/W          2w/W - lamp/W

Sw/S - 3w/Bk                                               3w/Bk - Sw/S

Sw/S - 3w/W                                                3w/W -  Sw/S

3w/R - 2w/Bk             2w/Bk - lamp/Bk        3w/R -  Sw/Bk

Hi Larry,

The only branch offs from the white and black bundles go to other switches in the boxes.

OK.

In the 4 gang box

- SwitchLinc black to the black bundle

- SwitchLinc white to the white bundle

- 3w/black wire to the black bundle

- 3w/white wire to the white bundle

- 3w/red capped off = n/c

- SwitchLinc red to the 2w/black wire

- 2w/white already in white bundle

In the remote switch box

- SwitchLinc Black to the 3w/black

- SwitchLinc/white to the 3w/white

- SwitchLinc/red capped = n/c

- 3w/red capped = n/c

The rest is done in ISY.

Don't forget the Factory Reset both SwitchLincs before ISY involvement.

OK.

In the 4 gang box

- SwitchLinc black to the black bundle

- SwitchLinc white to the white bundle

- 3w/black wire to the black bundle

- 3w/white wire to the white bundle

- 3w/red capped off = n/c

- SwitchLinc red to the 2w/black wire

- 2w/white already in white bundle

In the remote switch box

- SwitchLinc Black to the 3w/black

- SwitchLinc/white to the 3w/white

- SwitchLinc/red capped = n/c

- 3w/red capped = n/c

The rest is done in ISY.

Don't forget the Factory Reset both SwitchLincs before ISY involvement.

Thank you very much Larry!!

This should agree with LeeG's description in post #9.

There really are no 3 wire switches or wiring in Insteon. Just parallel operation OR logic.

One switch does all the work and another, unrelated one, has remote control.

I've learned that from the other 3-way and 4-way circuits that are Insteon controlled. This circuit is wired differently(correctly) than the others.

Thanks again!!

Archived