IFTTT Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Channel

Scottmichaelj

If you have an Android phone, there is an app called wifi analyzer. You can use it to perform a site survey of your house. It will show you which channels are most saturated, so you can pick a clearer channel for your router. This is especially important for 2.4ghz devices. 

If your router settings allow it, you could try to force 20mhz channel bandwidth, as opposed to auto or 20mhz/40mhz. This will cut throughput a little, but connections should be more stable in the face of a lot of traffic. It sometimes can be due to the routers ability to cope with a lot of connections. 

I have a 2.4ghz/5ghz dualband router, and put all devices  on 5ghz that areable to use it, including laptops, phones, desktops and tablets. There are many more 5ghz channels, and most do not overlap at 40mhz like 2.4ghz channels all do.

To Huddadudda's point, I have 2 Venstar colortouch thermostats, and I do not have wifi problems with them. 

Paul

Yeah, I've done a lot of your suggestions.  I moved my wap to a fixed channel not shared by neighbors.  I think there may be some non-wifi traffic going on.  My basement has a zigbee wireless lighting system so I wonder about that running in the 2.4ghz range.

I'd like to get hold of a spectrum analyzer and see what is going on.  

Yeah, I've done a lot of your suggestions.  I moved my wap to a fixed channel not shared by neighbors.  I think there may be some non-wifi traffic going on.  My basement has a zigbee wireless lighting system so I wonder about that running in the 2.4ghz range.

I'd like to get hold of a spectrum analyzer and see what is going on.  

I have a zigbee AMI connection to my smartmeter. It doesn't cause problems that I'm aware of.

If the problems with the Honeywells are consistent enough, could you pull the breaker for the basement zigbee items, and then see if the interference disappears?

Paul

Archived