INSTEON 2867-222 ALERT MODULE

Teken

Personally, I'd like to see more devices with WiFi and a RESTful API, gives me multiple options for integration with HA, at the cost of a level of indirection and some slight delay.

There are a few cases where direct Insteon integration is important, for example, a doorbell setup where you would use scenes to allow a triggerlinc to turn on a chime and other responders, without relying on going through a ISY994 program.   But these are the exception, not the rule.

For devices which do not need scene integration, I'm slowly migrating to Z-Wave.

PS: If you are interested customized alerts, there are all kinds of sounds you can make with a raspberry pi or an Arduino.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a Beacon-Communications test today on my 2867-222 Alert Modules.
Hardware 1.0.
Date Code 1548
Category 0x07
Sub Category 0x1A
Start Linking method went far enough to read the firmware as 43.

Two 2443 Access Points. One on each phase.
Alert Module in an AC outlet between both locations. Known to work with other Dual Band modules in the tests.
Four tap communications test is not covered in the Quick Guide but half worked.
If the Alert Module started the test. Access Points one flashed Green the other Red. As expected.
If either Access Point started the test.
The Alert Modules LED flashed Green for both or Red for both Access Points. Depending on its color before the test was started.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a weather related power outage yesterday.

The Alert Module when powered back up. Defaulted to the Off mode with a Red LED.

Since we still can't control it with an ISY994i. I used the set button to cycle it back on.

I have it manually linked to a test KeypadLinc in a tabletop case.

When off it still must answer back to the controller as it didn't flash a no response back from responded keypad LED.

• 7 months later...

In reading the reviews for the Insteon Plug-in Alert Module, it keeps saying it is not supported by the ISY... 

"I can't believe that this is still not compatible with the ISY controller. I bought this when it first came out, thinking that ISY compatibility wouldn't be too far behind. I was wrong, and wish that I hadn't purchased it now. I am constantly disappointed with Insteon lately and their lack of innovation, especially with the newer platforms that are coming out and passing them by.

Posted on 9/7/2016"

I just thought you would send the on command and it would chime...  Does anyone understand this remark?

BTW, they are like $20 now...

Yes it is a known issue.

SmartHome-SmartLabs dragged their feet for months in getting the needed API information to UDI.

As I have read here. The Alpha 5.? firmware will support it eventually. As the present firmware was too far into development to add it safely.

If you try and add it to the Administrative Console. You will get an unknown device message. The category 07, subcategory 1A is not in the UDI supported modules ID database,

I have just done more tests on mine. I linked it to a spare KeypadLinc in a table top case.

One thing I did not easily see in the manual. Was how to remotely Arm and Disarm it. Vaguely buried in the Flow Chart.

I found that when the Set button is taped until the LED is Red {disarmed}.  Then manually linked the alarm module to a KPL  button. That button would arm and disarm the module. There is about a 45 second timeout when armed. The Red LED {disarmed} starts flashing and the module beeps. As the 45 seconds times out. When disarmed it ignores commands to sound the chime or alert tones but still replies to the command. So the controller does not trigger a communications  error indication.

If it is armed and there is a power failure. When the power is restored. Mine defaults to unarmed even if it was armed.

I did a factory reset so I could link the Arm-Disarm function to the main On-Off button set on the KeypadLinc.

Then linked the A button to the Alert Sound and B button to the Chime Sound.

When armed. The A button will trigger the Alert Sound and B the Chime Sound.

So you can manually link a controller to the Alert Module to sound the chime or alert tones along with arm and disarm. Just you will have no ISY994i support for the links as it can't be added

They did lower the price to $19.99 as the new $39.99 2686-222 Siren Module has started to be offered for sale.

Thank you, why they didn't just add the function to sound with the "on" command like the X-10 chime...  The problem with that chime is that it sounds if power is lost and then restored (sounds on startup).  Nothing like a false alarm at 2 AM due to a short power blip...

There is the new siren 2868-222 you mentioned.  Any idea if it can be controlled from ISY?

Jay

Jay, I haven't heard that the new siren module works with the ISY yet. My guess is that the siren is almost identical to the alert module, and that SmartLabs also will need to send the configuration information to UDI for it.

Unlike X10, where commands set commands are sent to a house and a unit code, each Insteon device has a configuration 'handshake' to tell the controller (like the ISY) what it is and what to do to control it. UDI needs to know the contents of that that handshake as well as what messages to send it to make it function.

Hopefully SmartLabs will see that there are people here with money in their hands waiting for that information to be sent to UDI.

Paul

There is the new siren 2868-222 you mentioned.  Any idea if it can be controlled from ISY?

I have two siren modules in transit now. UPS says 12/01/16 should be here.

I will be doing some tests on them when they arrive.

The Full Users Manual for the siren module. Shows basically the same linking for the two sounds and arm/disarm, as the Alert Module. So I suspect it will also not be supported in the present released firmware, but be in the Beta or released firmware 5.

I tried to link the units I had on hand but no dice under 4.X.X firmware. ☹️

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

When you invoke the level 3 logs can you let me know what the firmware indicates along with hardware production date.

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

The 2867-222 Alert Module is no longer on the Smarthome sales site. Search for the 2867-222 finds no hits and "Alert Module" shows the 2868-222 Siren Module and a few other protocol devices.

I guess they sold the remaining ones at the 19.99 price.

2868-222 Siren Module seems to be the replacement.

The Smarthome site officially lists the Alert Module as being discontinued and replaced with the Siren.  This page:

http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2867-222-alert-module.html

shows the following:

Let your Insteon Sensors sound the alarm.

• The Alert Module has been discontinued and replaced with the Insteon Siren

ITEM# 2867-222 PRODUCT IS UNAVAILABLE

I wonder if they are similar enough that both can be added eventually?  I think I've got a couple of the Alert boxes gathering dust someplace.

Thanks for confirming the Alert Module is discontinued.

In some installed places. I think the older Alert Module with its lower sound output would be better. Even with the sound restricting plastic film tab over my Siren Modules sound port. I maybe fairly loud if in a quiet location.

I suspect that the Alert Module and Siren Module may have a similar API. Though the Siren Module may have a few added features.

• 2 weeks later...

Got side tracked today so will shoot that video tomorrow. The older sound wave file doesn't reflect the new product at all.

Thank you for posting the Siren and Chime sound samples.

I see you have the sound reducing plastic film over sound port.

I still have mine covered also.

The video doesn't portray how incredibly loud this Insteon siren truly is. As you probably noted standing directly in front of the unit about 4-5 feet away is extremely loud. A person standing more than 50-100 feet with the tape can still clearly hear the siren / chime.

Removing the sticker based on my red neck listening easily doubles the sound output of this little device. Its safe to say no one will be complaining its too quiet and can't be heard! I have a dB meter but its been on long term loan to a friend who doesn't seem to want to return the blasted thing to me!

Thus I am not able to quantify empirically how loud it truly is in a real world environment. Even though we know the specs from the maker - one really needs to be in the same room to appreciate how loud it is. 

Archived