LIFX color 1000 & Insteon communication issues?

Tungsten

Has anyone worked with the LIFX wifi lightbulb and has an Insteon network? And if so, did you notice more issues after installing the LIFX bulbs? I'm noticing more intermittent Insteon failures after installing a bunch of the LIFX bulbs & I'm concerned they might be signal suckers and/or interfering with the dual-band. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Brad and others.

Since you asked for updates and since I need some help - let me give you my status.

I have Insteon Switches all over my house (mostly 2477/2476 but a few 2474 as well)

My office has 4 recessed lights with BR30 bulb's and because I have not neutral in that room I had to go with the 2474.

As I'm moving all bulb's to LED I was "struggling" finding bulb's for my office and when I saw a good deal on LIFX BR30 bulb's I decided to give them a try. (I got the color version)

I bought 4 and installed them in my office.

1) Light and color. Fantastic!

2) iPhone and Mac App. Great!

3) Interfacing with my 2474 Insteon switch. Disaster!

Disaster in the sense that it doesn't work. If I try to use the Insteon 2474 as an On/Off switch it sometimes works but often completely mess up the bulb so that they get's different colors, disappear from my network, doesn't response at all etc etc. 

I could certainly abandon the Insteon switch and install a good old fashion super-dumb switch. This would allow me to turn on and off lights with the switch but would not allow me to "smartly" control the bulb's (either as a scene or individually) if power is off. Perhaps not a big problem for most but for me it's not ideal. I hate those limitations.

I found no way to combine my LIFX bulb with the 2474 and so I thought that I could hardwire bulb's to be always on and then add a Insteon remote to fake on/off sending REST commands. I had an unused RemoteLinc 2 Keypad that I can use to send the REST command to LIFX and at least be able to control on and off state the way everyone would expect a switch to work. That is - you press a switch and lights turns on or it turns off.

This is where I'm stuck.

I can send REST command (curl .....) and control my lights from a terminal but I have not been able to dissect these curl commands into "Network Resource Module" structures for ISY994. I've tried but unsuccessfully so far for 2 reasons.

1) I'm not really an expert in REST commands and 

2) The error messages that ISY provide's (in order to debug) is 1 or 2 step below "useless".

Hopefully someone smarter than me can help breaking this curl statement into something the network module understands. Once  that's working I would love to provide my feedback on how well it works.

This curl statement works: 

curl -X PUT "https://api.lifx.com/v1/scenes/scene_uuid:3d9b0815-01ad-48c3-abcb-b1189241b8e0/activate"-H "Authorization: Bearer cfd3cb22285a7765fe15facdddf9fdba01df87e318629b5895c" 

Bearer ID is incorrect but I know how to copy and paste.

Is anyone able to guide me into breaking it up into individual fields in ISY's NETWORK resources ?

​thanks 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

rssorenson

Thanks for publishing your screenshot.

I am currently using a new token for some programs I am trying.  Having the same info as you have but only using my token I am getting an error 400.  Is there anything else you had to do or what is it that I am missing?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Archived