ISY-994i to 2477D - Cannot Determine Insteon Engine

espann

I would suggest buying it directly from Smarthome, that way you're assured to get the most current hardware and firmware versions along with the 2 year warranty

Thanks Techman. I've been looking at the Insteon Hub. Anyone have experience with this, and how it compares to ISY?

Looking at the following:

Mon 02/01/2016 08:49:43 PM : [iNST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 2E AE 5C 0F 0D 00

Mon 02/01/2016 08:49:43 PM : [ELK         ] Connect

Mon 02/01/2016 08:49:43 PM : [iNST-ACK    ] 02 62 2E.AE.5C 0F 0D 00 06                 (00)

Mon 02/01/2016 08:49:43 PM : [iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 16.AE.5C 19.71.94 AB 0D FF           (FF)

I see two problems.  

First, AB 0D FF in the response from the device indicates that the device has an i2cs Engine and the PLMs ID (19.71.94) is not in the device's database.

Second, the consistent change of the most significant byte of the device ID from 2E to 16 probably means the device is defective or there is a software bug.

Noise, wiring and cable problems do not produce consistent result like this.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the following:

Mon 02/01/2016 08:49:43 PM : [iNST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 2E AE 5C 0F 0D 00

Mon 02/01/2016 08:49:43 PM : [ELK         ] Connect

Mon 02/01/2016 08:49:43 PM : [iNST-ACK    ] 02 62 2E.AE.5C 0F 0D 00 06                 (00)

Mon 02/01/2016 08:49:43 PM : [iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 16.AE.5C 19.71.94 AB 0D FF           (FF)

I see two problems.  

First, AB 0D FF in the response from the device indicates that the device has an i2cs Engine and the PLMs ID (19.71.94) is not in the device's database.

Second, the consistent change of the most significant byte of the device ID from 2E to 16 probably means the device is defective or there is a software bug.

Noise, wiring and cable problems do not produce consistent result like this.

Ok guys, I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I bought the new PLM, from SmartHome, plugged it in, and got same results! When I do PLM info/status diagnostics, it shows connected.

When I restore modem it appears to be writing to the devices and the motion sensor, but I still cannot connect or control any device.

HELP!

Did you do the following? 

Power down your ISY controller.

Then replace the PLM.

Power up the PLM first and allow it to fully initialize.

Power up the ISY controller so it can see the changed PLM.

Restore PLM.

Thanks for your reply. Not sure if I did it in that order, but I'll do that now. BTW, should I push the SET button on the PLM when plugging it in? I saw somewhere that I needed to do that.

Thanks for your reply. Not sure if I did it in that order, but I'll do that now. BTW, should I push the SET button on the PLM when plugging it in? I saw somewhere that I needed to do that.

Doing a factory re-set on the PLM is not necessary but in your case it's probably best to do it.

Each wireless device will have to be put into the linking mode, only one wireless device can be in the linking mode at a time, then issue a write to the device from the ISY.

Do not do a delete PLM from the ISY

Doing a factory re-set on the PLM is not necessary but in your case it's probably best to do it.

Each wireless device will have to be put into the linking mode, only one wireless device can be in the linking mode at a time, then issue a write to the device from the ISY.

Do not do a delete PLM from the ISY

Well, some success happening.. After following advice above I finally have some devices being recognized and responding, and the PLM is working. And it turns out one of my LampLinc Dimmers may have been defective. Plugged in a new one and that one is working. Now the problem seems to be the Keypad Dimmer 8-button switch. I can't get this to work. It shows up in the control panel but all buttons are with a red exclamation point, and when I query it they indicate it is writing to the buttons but when I try to turn on Button 1, (the button for the first light fixture) the error message is "cannot communicate with 2A.0E.52.1" so how do I reset the Keypad dimmer? 

To do a factory reset pull out the air gap on the bottom of the dimmer, wait a few seconds then push it all the way in and hold it in, the keypad will emit a long beep. Once the beep stops let go of the air gap.  Then do a restore device from the ISY.

To do a factory reset pull out the air gap on the bottom of the dimmer, wait a few seconds then push it all the way in and hold it in, the keypad will emit a long beep. Once the beep stops let go of the air gap.  Then do a restore device from the ISY.

Did that, still no recognition from ISY. Should I delete the keypad dimmer from My Lighting?

I don't know what other methods are available if I don't know what you tried.

I did everything mentioned above this thread, but so you'll know precisely here is what I've tried:

"Power down your ISY controller.

Then replace the PLM.

Restore PLM." This apparently did initialize the PLM.

"Delete the problem device. Make sure that you do a full factory reset, not just a reset and add the device back.

do a factory reset pull out the air gap on the bottom of the dimmer, wait a few seconds then push it all the way in and hold it in, the keypad will emit a long beep. Once the beep stops let go of the air gap.  Then do a restore device from the ISY." Did this, didn't help.

I deleted the keypad dimmer and did the full factory reset but it still isn't seen when adding new Insteon Device. that's all I've tried so far, and so far it still doesn't add in the keypad dimmer.

Espann,

Sounds like you either have a communication issue or a defective device.

Do you have a dual band module, such as a lamplinc or on/off module that you could plug in near the keypad before you try to link it, this might help determine if you have a communication problem

I want you to remove the load (bulbs) from that KPL and try again. This assumes you properly hard reset the device as outlined above.

Assuming the KPL is not defective now the problem is going to be noise makers / signal suckers. Removing the bulb is the easiest thing to do (generally speaking) to determine (IF) your issue is comm issue.

I did everything mentioned above this thread, but so you'll know precisely here is what I've tried:

"Power down your ISY controller.

Then replace the PLM.

Restore PLM." This apparently did initialize the PLM.

"Delete the problem device. Make sure that you do a full factory reset, not just a reset and add the device back.

do a factory reset pull out the air gap on the bottom of the dimmer, wait a few seconds then push it all the way in and hold it in, the keypad will emit a long beep. Once the beep stops let go of the air gap.  Then do a restore device from the ISY." Did this, didn't help.

I deleted the keypad dimmer and did the full factory reset but it still isn't seen when adding new Insteon Device. that's all I've tried so far, and so far it still doesn't add in the keypad dimmer.

None of the above includes the various methods for adding a device to the ISY.

None of the above includes the various methods for adding a device to the ISY.

Stu, what I did previously to add the keypad was to try to add it under "New Insteon Device", which didn't work after numerous attempts. However, I just tried to add it in by selecting "Link a controlLinc" and this time it DID start writing to the console, but it identified it as a 4 button device and then couldn't communicate at all.

I want you to remove the load (bulbs) from that KPL and try again. This assumes you properly hard reset the device as outlined above.

Assuming the KPL is not defective now the problem is going to be noise makers / signal suckers. Removing the bulb is the easiest thing to do (generally speaking) to determine (IF) your issue is comm issue.

Thanks Teken. I did remove the bulbs in the lamps and that did help (the bulbs were dimmable bulbs which have always been problematic), as it did seem to write to ISY but only after I tried to add it under "Link a controlLinc", but that was not completely successful either. It tried to install a 4 button keypad, not the 8 button, and then couldn't communicate after a few minutes.

Archived