LED degrading over time?

Scottmichaelj

So I removed and returned my all my Philips Slimline LED bulbs as well as the Cree bulbs/6" recessed cans TW LEDs to Home Depot. While I was there I picked up some Philips 60w equivalent LED bulbs in daylight color that use only 9 watts. Its only been a few days of testing BUT I have no humming, no flickering and it seems my Cree Ecosmart recessed cans are also now working fine and not flickering. I suspect (but dont have any hard proof) that by adding more of the Philips Slimline LED bulbs it must have introduced more noise on the power line. So while a few worked, the noise wasnt high enough to cause issues. As more and more of the slimlines were added it added more noise causing me to see the flickering. Once removing all of them and putting in these new Philips along with the previous ones I posted that work my issues went away.

Heres a link to the bulbs:

Philips 60W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A19 Dimmable LED Light Bulb

http://thd.co/1HJa9VN

Some pictures of the packaging:

49effb725dce8ff53daeb95b1aa5f863.jpg

e57497e26c59daaf004e2607eab8c3af.jpg

Would be happy to hear feedback from anyone else using these good or bad. Ill post back if things change or if they burn out etc.

So I bought two types of leds today and both dont work. I put the new bulbs in the flickering recessed can and a lamp at the same dim level and all flicker. For fun I put two of the older flat head Philips leds (older type that look like the Hue bulbs) in both a 40w equiv (470Lumens) and 60w equiv (830Lumens) into the recessed can that was flickering and neither flickered with these bulbs in the lamp or can. This is not scientific but I wonder if the higher equivalent leds notice more flicker than the lower equiv leds. I dont know but this A21 100w equiv flickers bad at all the ranges but high (still some flicker). Maybe thats why some people who have leds dont notice this because maybe they use 40w soft white? Just a thought.

Heres what I bought:

Cree 100W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A21 Dimmable LED Light Bulb

http://thd.co/1qdUTvD

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453411860.796209.jpg

I must have well over a dozen Cree bulbs and never had a problem with flicker.  However, my first failure just happened in a Southern exposed inverted fixture where the 100W Dimmable separated from the base, fell onto the ground breaking the globe.  I don't recall how long ago I installed it but kinda disappointed this could have happened..

post-1615-0-23142200-1454728878_thumb.jpg

post-1615-0-21235900-1454728912_thumb.jpg

Jon...

I have about a dozen Cree bulbs of different types and they all worked perfectly for about 3 to. 4 months.

Now two have died and three others flicker without dimming.

One did brightness dips so bad I have replaced it. It was a $40 BR40 bulb and was not on any Insteon device or dimmer.

I won't be buying any more Cree bulbs in the future. I have a 5 bulb fixture now with three different vintage Cree bulbs and they all dim on different curves.

I would have hoped the shell falling off issue would have been addressed by now. My early ones the shells got loose and could be popped off.

The flickering and pulsing could be the contact springs they used between the driver PCB and the LED PCB. I have a few where I could gently, with a plastic soldering tool, press on the contacts and they would work again. Also saw small burn marks on the contacts where the spring clips where arcing.

I don't recommend folks poke around in them. The LED's are in a series setup and the voltage on the contacts is about 218 volts DC and if the LED's are not making contact. Driver runs around 285 volts DC and holds a charge with no load on it.

Thanks for those tech heads up Brian.

If I knew how to get the glass off, I would have been into them by now, because I don't expect much out of the Cree help line, although I haven't bothered yet, experiencing the receipt demand right up front.

My guess is they have installed poor grade caps also and the power supply shows voltage dips amplifying them at the light output due to soft start circuitry and no soft off design.

The original ones with the silicon like glue.

Bake them at about 200 Degrees F for maybe 30 minutes.

Grab with thick gloves. Top should pop off.

If memory serves me some of my latest ones had a different glue and didn't budge after the baking.

There is a thread on the Candlepower Forums on the Cree 100 Watt ones failing.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?411223-Cree-100w-daylight-bulbs-keep-dying-Anyone-else-have-that-problem&s=2434390dcdd8f3e25e14db866b40f1c9

I was planning to take it back to take it back to Home Depot :) I just tried contacting Cree but they were closed and I assume won't open until Monday now.

Jon...

That's good to hear as HD overall has been very good about warranty returns.

Make sure you have a receipt because that's always going to be a real PITA if you don't!

=========================

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

That's good to hear as HD overall has been very good about warranty returns.

Make sure you have a receipt because that's always going to be a real PITA if you don't!

=========================

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

They don't require receipts just the credit card.. problem is my wife regularly replaces our cards so I doubt I have the same card number any longer (along with not know which one I used :)

Jon...

I just contacted Home Depot and after I don't know how many menu selections finally spoke to someone (Wayne) who claims Home Depot has a 90 day return policy.  I specifically asked about LED light bulbs and his response was yes, they will accept return of failed bulb w/ either receipt or CC within that 90 day purchase period.  Seeing I'm probably over a year into this bulb I'm left only now with Cree directly.  Saved me an unnecessary trip anyway :)

Jon...

I brought a bad led bulb back and the newbie looks at the tip and found a scratch and told me the policy is not to return any bulbs.

Now this was their cheap Utilitech brand and I told them it was junk. It took three seconds to light up. That was probably the clincher, returning for bad quality, not defective.

I brought a bad led bulb back and the newbie looks at the tip and found a scratch and told me the policy is not to return any bulbs.

Now this was their cheap Utilitech brand and I told them it was junk. It took three seconds to light up. That was probably the clincher, returning for bad quality, not defective.

I would have asked for a manager. If its within the return window with a receipt then why shouldnt they honor it?

That was supposed to be "why shouldnt they" take it back. Guess the US has more liberal return policies.

I believe if I would have lied and stated the bulb didn't work it may have been a different story but I tried to tell them their new Utilitech brand bulbs were garbage and get my money back. I think the brand name migrated from Lowes back a year or more ago,

I believe if I would have lied and stated the bulb didn't work it may have been a different story but I tried to tell them their new Utilitech brand bulbs were garbage and get my money back. I think the brand name migrated from Lowes back a year or more ago,

I tell them I dont like X within the 90days with my receipt and Lowes always takes care of me. Receipt no problem. Now they can scan your CC to find the purchase too. You canooks have a hard life.

I tell them I dont like X within the 90days with my receipt and Lowes always takes care of me. Receipt no problem. Now they can scan your CC to find the purchase too. You canooks have a hard life.

That is all the same in Canuckistan, here. HD has a policy not to take back used lightbulbs or other half consumed products.

I have bought products from the Canuck Home Hardware chain and taken them back to HD for a profit without any card or receipt.

I have also attempted to return products to HD that they have changed brands, or style, (UPC code)  and the scan just turns up,  "Sorry, not our product"

Jon,

Are you going to start the warranty process?

Just got off the phone with Cree and without any issue they're sending out replacement.  I'm really surprised!  Not that I'm real happy now with Cree quality in general but I was able to leave comment about the failure and corroded contacts and all so this might help.

Jon...

Just got off the phone with Cree and without any issue they're sending out replacement.  I'm really surprised!  Not that I'm real happy now with Cree quality in general but I was able to leave comment about the failure and corroded contacts and all so this might help.

Jon...

Hello Jon,

That is really great to hear this is what service after the sale is all about. As I am sure you know lots of time people will just push the whole *Stupid* so far about not having a receipt etc.

Good to know someone on the other side was using some common sense. Please do follow up with the forum members as to what comes and if anything is amiss.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jon,

That is really great to hear this is what service after the sale is all about. As I am sure you know lots of time people will just push the whole *Stupid* so far about not having a receipt etc.

Good to know someone on the other side was using some common sense. Please do follow up with the forum members as to what comes and if anything is amiss.

Ok.. so 10 days after contacting Cree my replacement light bulb arrives UPS nicely packaged and all.  However, after opening I discover what I've received is a package which has already been opened for one reason or the other.  Not certain if it's a return item or if a repaired item but the packaging definitively has been opened.  You can see the left side of the plastic covering the bulb.  Anyway.. plugged it in and it works..

post-1615-0-58641000-1455835294_thumb.jpg

Jon...

Archived