Looking for Indoor smart cameras

Annablake

Can somebody suggest the best Indoor Smart wireless security cameras with good audio capabilities?. I have selected few brands which are listed below. Please suggest me some more brands to choose from.

http://www.cannykart.com/product/insteon-hd-wifi-camera-white/

http://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Smart-Home-Wire-Free-VMS3130-100NAS/dp/B00QH0Q8J4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1453898493&sr=8-5&keywords=indoor+smart+security+camera

I would look at (in alphabetical order)  Axis, FLIR (Lorex), Sharx, Y-Cam.   These are generally pricier, but also are stable and generally have good on-shore USA technical support.

What are your most important criteria?   ISY integration, Size, Reliability, PIR, ONVIF standard, Resolution, Remote Pan/TIlt, Performance in low light, IR LEDs?, Warranty?  

Are you with cloud-tethered devices like Nest/HomeMonitor, or need a device that works without the Internet?   What's your budget?

For long-term utility, look for a product with ONVIF standard compliance, or at least good support in ZoneMinder.

Can somebody suggest the best Indoor Smart wireless security cameras with good audio capabilities?. I have selected few brands which are listed below. Please suggest me some more brands to choose from.

http://www.cannykart.com/product/insteon-hd-wifi-camera-white/

http://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Smart-Home-Wire-Free-VMS3130-100NAS/dp/B00QH0Q8J4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1453898493&sr=8-5&keywords=indoor+smart+security+camera

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Things you should consider before any purchase is the long term goal and objective. Your budget will of course dictate what you buy in the near term but consider the following.

With any wireless device such as the Arlo there are long term investments in expansive A123 batteries. This unit takes four of them and if you don't know how much these batteries costs you better start looking. Any camera that is stated as *outdoor rated* normally in a Enterprise deployment must have a IP rating which mandate how the device is able to withstand outside elements of dust, water, vapor, and of course impact.

Most of these cheap cameras either have a low IP rating or have narrow tolerances for weather. Meaning if your area is extremely hot / cold. Will the device operate in that environment and will it impact the battery life of said device?

All battery operated devices are impacted by extreme cold . . . The reverse is true with electronics where heat is the enemy for electronics never mind sun exposure and UV.

Consider today this Arlo camera costs per your link $159.99. 

How much does it really cost in a year to replace (4) A123 batteries? Here is a link to some Duracells for a eight pack going for $16.07.

Just one change out will have pushed that initial purchase to $168.02. Keeping in mind these cameras are not intended for continuous use and if done so will consume lots of batteries which of course will increase that initial investment.

If you're serious about having quality image with industry standard support invest in a real name brand like Axis, Bosch, Mobotik, Pelco. . 

None of the brands I mentioned are toys or make toasters, fridge, ovens . . . If someone was to ask me to day between a stationary camera vs a PTZ. In a general sense the most value comes from a properly installed and placed PTZ system. As it allows a huge range and FOV to the end user.

Things to consider which many get lost on is don't get hung up on how many mega pixels a camera has. The lens, aperture, and shutter play more on the quality than any digital enhancement technique.

Anyone that doubts this basic premise simply needs to read for a few moments about some of the later 50's to current generation applications of camera systems. At the time the SR-71 Black Bird was the highest, fastest, and most amazing plane in history.

Imagine a plane going Mach 1-3 at 80 thousand feet taking images of a postage stamp. The Hubble telescope again is in this era but uses what?

Large, accurate, and properly sized aperture lens . . .

Bottom line, this is a investment and should be budgeted as so. Otherwise its just another disposable cost that ultimately will cost you more money and offer you less.

Archived