Static IP Address with Portal for HTTP or HTTPS Access?

Bob P.

I've seen a number of instructions to set the network to Automatic (DHCP). This may be a dumb question, but why can't I keep a static address? Doesn't the ISY report its address to the Portal, regardless of how it was obtained? This would allow me to maintain the access through my DNS URL as well as through the portal.

Here's why I want to do this: I use Mobilinc Geofencing (*without* Mobilinc Connect), and since I switched Mobilinc to use the Portal, my geofence doesn't update the state variable on the ISY. (although it does send me a notification of fence crossing). My wife's phone, on which I haven't changed the settings yet, still updates the variable, because it still communicates through the DNS HTTP URL.

I switched to the Portal because I'll be installing the Echo. I'm wondering if I can keep Mobilinc connected to the ISY through the DYN HTTP port, and use the Portal for the Echo, at least until Mobilinc fixes the failed variable updates. Controlling the heat while we're home/away with geofencing is one thing that needs to work.

I've seen a number of instructions to set the network to Automatic (DHCP). This may be a dumb question, but why can't I keep a static address? Doesn't the ISY report its address to the Portal, regardless of how it was obtained? This would allow me to maintain the access through my DNS URL as well as through the portal.

Here's why I want to do this: I use Mobilinc Geofencing (*without* Mobilinc Connect), and since I switched Mobilinc to use the Portal, my geofence doesn't update the state variable on the ISY. (although it does send me a notification of fence crossing). My wife's phone, on which I haven't changed the settings yet, still updates the variable, because it still communicates through the DNS HTTP URL.

I switched to the Portal because I'll be installing the Echo. I'm wondering if I can keep Mobilinc connected to the ISY through the DYN HTTP port, and use the Portal for the Echo, at least until Mobilinc fixes the failed variable updates. Controlling the heat while we're home/away with geofencing is one thing that needs to work.

DHCP is advised to prevent future issues in the event of network changes and also it seems some have trouble connecting to the Portal using static address.  If you use DHCP you need to reserve the address in the router for ISY but you can try a Static IP.. many use it.

Jon...

DHCP is advised to prevent future issues in the event of network changes and also it seems some have trouble connecting to the Portal using static address.  If you use DHCP you need to reserve the address in the router for ISY but you can try a Static IP.. many use it.

Jon...

Thanks for the info, John. I think I misspoke - A reserved address with port forwarding is probably what I need.

I've reverted Mobilinc to use my DynDNS access, and not the portal. I've never used ML Connect, so it still works fine in parallel with the portal. Mobilinc is also MUCH faster through the DNS HTTP address.

The Geofence behavior was odd through the portal. My fence crossing changed a state variable, which ran an ISY program to notify me. It should  also have run the thermostat program, but didn't.

When I link Mobilinc through my old DNS HTTP URL, both programs run as expected.

Archived