Admin Console & Program Question

Mug

New to ISY994i and I look forward to diving into it once I understand the basics. I do have a couple of questions;

1. In the Administrative console Main Tab/Network/Isy I see all my modules in a red color. Does this mean they are linked to the ISY? I could not find anything about color indicators in programs in the user manual.

2. “Note: Unlike Scenes, Programs require that the ISY be online in order to function.”

Does this mean it must be connected to some type of 'home base' constantly via the internet. I thought that the ISY was a stand alone controller. I do notice that the network lights on the back are blinking. I ask this because none of my programs run.

Example program in the Programs Tab;

If

From Sunset – 2 minutes

To 12:45:00PM (same day)

Then

Set 'Living Room Can' On

Else

Set 'Living Room Can' Off

Thank you,

MUG

1. In the Administrative console Main Tab/Network/Isy I see all my modules in a red color. Does this mean they are linked to the ISY? I could not find anything about color indicators in programs in the user manual.

All modules listed under ISY are added (linked) to the ISY.  The color of the device node name indicates Controller (Red) or Responder (Black).

2. “Note: Unlike Scenes, Programs require that the ISY be online in order to function.”

Does this mean it must be connected to some type of 'home base' constantly via the internet. I thought that the ISY was a stand alone controller. I do notice that the network lights on the back are blinking. I ask this because none of my programs run.

The ISY does not need to be connected to the External Internet (if that is the question). 

Example program in the Programs Tab;

This Program has a coding error.  Sunset varies by location but is in the area of 5-6 PM.  The "To" time of 12:45 PM is before Sunset, Noon +45 minutes.  If looking for something before midnight it would be 11:59:59 PM (same day) or earlier.  If looking for a "To" time 45 minutes after midnight it would be 12:45:00 AM (next day).  

If

From Sunset – 2 minutes

To 12:45:00PM (same day)

Then

Set 'Living Room Can' On

Else

Set 'Living Room Can' Off

To test your programs right click on the program and select "Status Icons > Detailed" then right click again and select "Run (Then)" and your light should turn on and you will observe the file turn full green indicating it's running then.  Next, change your program to a time close to the present i.e., From 11:47 To 11:48 and you can observe the program run and status change and you should be able to observe the light turn on and off.

Jon...

Hi All,

I am really not familiar on the purpose or how to when it comes to variables ... I have been reading up and  such but... well.. it's not clicking yet..

ANYWAY... Perhaps the more I use them the more I will get them.

This is my question: I have a bedroom light that I wish for my wife to be able to push a "good night" button (Scene?) and the light will dim until over spanning x min of time.

No clue where to start.. I assume it's if Light is >=1% then execute ... but thinking thought this.. I need to trigger the process.

Regards,

S

Hi All,

I am really not familiar on the purpose or how to when it comes to variables ... I have been reading up and  such but... well.. it's not clicking yet..

ANYWAY... Perhaps the more I use them the more I will get them.

This is my question: I have a bedroom light that I wish for my wife to be able to push a "good night" button (Scene?) and the light will dim until over spanning x min of time.

No clue where to start.. I assume it's if Light is >=1% then execute ... but thinking thought this.. I need to trigger the process.

Regards,

S

There's an ongoing thread devoted to progressive dim where you might gain a little insight.

Jon...

The easiest solution is to create a scene with the button as a controller and the light as a responder. Set the ramp rate to any duration up to 8 min. The ramp rate, BTW, is the time from full on (or off) to off (or full on). For example, if the ramp rate is set to 4 min. and the light On-level is at 50%, then it will take 2 min. to turn completely off.

A 9 min. ramp rate is available to accommodate older devices. When used with current devices, the effective ramp rate is 0.1 sec.

Hi All,

This is my question: I have a bedroom light that I wish for my wife to be able to push a "good night" button (Scene?) and the light will dim until over spanning x min of time.

Regards,

S

This the most basic Insteon device function and requires no variables or programs to accomplish. See Stu's description above.

This the most basic Insteon device function and requires no variables or programs to accomplish. See Stu's description above.

The easiest solution is to create a scene with the button as a controller and the light as a responder. Set the ramp rate to any duration up to 8 min. The ramp rate, BTW, is the time from full on (or off) to off (or full on). For example, if the ramp rate is set to 4 min. and the light On-level is at 50%, then it will take 2 min. to turn completely off.

A 9 min. ramp rate is available to accommodate older devices. When used with current devices, the effective ramp rate is 0.1 sec.

Ok thanks I get it.. but there is no button... I do not have it tied to any button. Only the light. Fully controlled by Mobilinc (Or ISY).. Is that a problem? I want to be able to turn the light fully on.. press the goodnight scene and have it ramp down over period of time.

In the scene, I have current state at whatever the light is at... The on level should be 100 I assume and the ramp rate is what I desire. The problem is, if I push "on" and have the ramp rate at 9 min no matter what, wont it take 9 min to come on?

A 9 minute ramp rate applies only to very old devices.  For the last several years 8 minutes is the max ramp rate.

Ok great so 8 min. my question is still the same :)

I do have it so that I can turn the light on only using "fast on" and if I select "off" on the scene it will have the desired effect. But if I use the normal "on" process it basically runs the scene and does a ramp up at the Scene Rate (slow)  rather than the rate I have on the device itself

"I do have it so that I can turn the light on only using "fast on" and if I select "off" on the scene it will have the desired effect. But if I use the normal "on" process it basically runs the scene and does a ramp up at the Scene Rate (slow)  rather than the rate I have on the device itself"

This is normal Insteon Scene behavior.   The Responder turns On and Off at the Scene ramp rate.  The device can be turned on with a Direct command where Ramp Rate (applied locally) controls the Direct command ramp rate.  Then use the Scene to turn the device Off which ramps at the Scene ramp rate.

You an use a scene for the faster ramp rate going on and a separate scene for he ramp rate going off.

Scene are economical and devices can hold more that 200 of 'em, each.

Or ISY could, in parallel, beat the shared slow rate Off scene, going On, by issuing an On command with a faster local ramp rate that overrides the scene ramp rate. I think LeeG was discussing that above also.

There are a few options with ISY/Insteon.

You an use a scene for the faster ramp rate going on and a separate scene for he ramp rate going off.

A device can be a controller of only one scene. A solution is to use a program to turn the device on--setting the ramp rate appropriately. The program will, unfortunately, add a small delay. No program is needed for off.

A device can be a controller of only one scene. A solution is to use a program to turn the device on--setting the ramp rate appropriately. The program will, unfortunately, add a small delay. No program is needed for off.

I was thinking more of two buttons for On and Off.

Even better, your idea, but in reverse. We usually want the speed of on so a scene would be in order but a program to enable a very slow ramp off would not expose any program delay incurred. A second scene could be used but I would just use a program to do the Off.

I was thinking more of two buttons for On and Off.

Even better, your idea, but in reverse. We usually want the speed of on so a scene would be in order but a program to enable a very slow ramp off would not expose any program delay incurred. A second scene could be used but I would just use a program to do the Off.

A problem is that the scene would turn the device off before the program has an opportunity to change the ramp rate.

A problem is that the scene would turn the device off before the program has an opportunity to change the ramp rate.

Right. I guess I only link in controlling devices that cannot produce an Off like MSes. The rest of my scenes are run by programs triggers by devices.

If the KPL can only produce On commands this shouldn't be a problem. ISY could act as a toggle to use a program initiated ramp off scene.

If

KPL button is switched On

AND

Light is not Off

Then

set 'Ramp Off scene' On

Else

---

Thanks larryllix stusviews and LeeG for your responses... For now, the widget I created from the MObilic App I just select "fast on" to turn the light on 100% or "Fast Off" for 0%... Then there is a second widget I tie to the scene if i select off.. it processes the scene and ramps down...

I really think if the Mobilinc app was a little more intuitive it would work as desired with a single button to press and invoke the scene.. Oh well we can only hope. :) 

Archived