PLM worked for 2 days...wow... ISY99i communication error

universe

And of course UD links to 2412S documentation are dead. Really getting depressed.2412S  PLM LED is lit but admin console reports no PLM communication. PLM worked in test environment then I moved it to target environment and it failed. Moved it back to test environment and it failed. Smarthome no longer has 2412S documentation so I don't have troubleshooting info. I tried reset procedure for 2413S on 2412S with no improvement. I may have inadvertently plugged PLM into network instead of PortA but hard to believe that would fry PLM. Is there a troubleshooting guide for 2412S which is not communicating with ISY99i? Thanks.

And of course UD links to 2412S documentation are dead. Really getting depressed.2412S  PLM LED is lit but admin console reports no PLM communication. PLM worked in test environment then I moved it to target environment and it failed. Moved it back to test environment and it failed. Smarthome no longer has 2412S documentation so I don't have troubleshooting info. I tried reset procedure for 2413S on 2412S with no improvement. I may have inadvertently plugged PLM into network instead of PortA but hard to believe that would fry PLM. Is there a troubleshooting guide for 2412S which is not communicating with ISY99i? Thanks.

There really isn't much difference in terms of how the device operates besides one supplies power from the PLM to the ISY. Where as the 2413S PLM does not power the ISY and requires a external power supply.

You have several choices either try to replace the capacitors in the 2412S PLM assuming its not fried. Or replace it with a 2413S PLM from Smarthome in case you're not aware none of these PLM's have a service life longer than five years.

Most die with in the 2-3 usage interval which is well known to tens of thousands of people around the world. Since you purchased this device used its not really a shock its failed.

The 2412S supplies power so it's possible you've actually damaged ISY... you might try removing ISY from the PLM, unplug PLM, wait 30 sec. or so, plug PLM in then connect ISY.

Jon...

2412S Quick users Guide. There is no full users manual.

http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2412sqs.pdf

The capacitor fix for the 2413S does not apply to the 2412S. Completely different circuitry. Including a linear power transformer type power supply and not the switching type in a 2413S.

2412S Insteon Modem Developers Guide. Has schematics and parts list in it. The capacitors should be on the parts list. I have never tried changing them so I don't know how difficult it is to change them.

http://cache.insteon.com/developer/2413dev-042007-en.pdf

Since there is unregulated 12 volts {around 18.5 volts DC} on the 2412S RJ45 serial port. Though I don't believe pin #2 and #7 are on the same cable pair. In a network jack.

You may want to look at both the RJ45 jack on the PLM and ISY99i Port A. To verify one of the pins maybe out of place.

Also if not tried yet. A different cable between the PLM and ISY99i.

Do you have the hardware version on the PLM's label? Some also had the firmware label.

Hopefully the ISY is not damaged. It still works with my backup PLM (which does not pass external X10 signals back to ISY). I have tried unpowering both units and powering 2412S first then connecting to ISY. Not sure how long it takes PLM to be "ready" to connect. Sounds like poor design to have PLM powering ISY but PLM must be powered first (3 stooges methodology?). What happens in a power failure? 2413S docs say unit will beep but 2412S does not beep so don't know how long to hold reset button with 2412S docs. Not sure it is a capacitor problem on new PLM since light is still on. I thought LED goes out in that case. Old PLM says firm 4A. New PLM says only Rev. 1.75 Thanks.

Update: tried 2412S reset procedure from supplied link above without success

If it worked with the 4A firmware 2412S. The ISY99i is probably OK.

With a 2412S that also powers up the ISY99i. You don't have to power the 2412S up first and then connect the ISY99i.

I understand at start up the ISY99i tries a few times for a reply from the 2412S before triggering a no PLM safe mode condition.

I can't find a hardware 1.75 2412S in the end users database provided by users.

Hardware 1.9 was the first 2412S released and it was with the Simplehomenet {Smartenit} EZIO8SA.

It also had a severe  BUG in the 2.4 firmware. About 50% of the time a Factory Reset made it smoke and fail. Seems the small Charge Pump 30 volt  power supply for the power line transmitter would get turned on at 100% and burned out.

http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/Insteon_device_list.htm

So after trying factory reset unsuccessfully it's shop again or re-cap? Third time wasn't the charm? First 2412S works partially, second PLM was 2413S which I re-capped unsuccessfully (i'm not a soldering expert...btw one cap in suggested list is not longer available at mouser...i ordered something i thought had same specs but was not vertical format so I didnt use it... maybe someone could put a replacement order number?) Third PLM was 2412S that worked for 2 days. I'd buy "new" if I had confidence that I'm not investing in company using planned obsolescence for increased profits. Would prefer to see it work at "used" level first. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Also now  assuming that BUG mentioned above for v2.4 means it is not worth trying to fix.

Sorry for the confusion.

The BUG was firmware 2.4 not the hardware 2.4.

The problem 2412S was hardware 1.9 with firmware 2.4.

I have seen stickers over stickers. Right from Smarthome and also seen Date Code Formats change on the labels. Depending on what year it was manufactured.

Your hardware 2.4 does not respond to the ISY99i and will not communicate at all?

The difference between "good" PLM and "bad" PLM is after logging in to admin console. "Bad" PLM gets safe mode dialog box. It had worked previously. I tried resetting PLM without success then reset ISY without success then reset PLM again just to make sure that maybe sequence of resets was important. Only weird thing might be that firmware and console UI versions are different. I upgraded UI due to certificate problem and never restored. But it works fine with "good" PLM.

So your "good" 2412S has the firmware in it that has issues with X10, that you need.

The "bad" one that worked for two days. Now puts the ISY99i into the Safe Mode as it is not detected at boot up of the ISY99i.

I will think on your findings and see if I can think of a way to further test the one acting bad at the present time.

I still have a few of the 2412S with 417 link databases {not used for X10 so smaller size not important } and an ISY99i. Can try and see what we maybe able to do testing wise.

Thanks for your help. I also left a request at smarthome forum about stickers. One member said that they do see extra labels from smarthome sometimes and when they get reconditioned items it has an "R" at the end.

I will be getting another untested ISY99i on 2/16 so I will be able to try various combinations. Can you recommend a firmware version? I am using 3.3.10. Thanks.

That was probably me "BLH" responding to your Smarthome Forums message. Though Tom has also added a reply.

3.3.10 is the last official ISY99i firmware. All the later versions are too large to fit into a ISY99i and only are for the ISY994i series hardware.

I would use 3.3.10 on an ISY99i. I put it on my ISY99i before retiring it when I got my ISY994i.

I have Hardware 2.4 revision 2412S PLMs. There are two different Firmware versions in them. 52 or 61.

So some hardware versions may have different firmware version in them.

The firmware 61 2412S worked on my ISY99i and Docklight Scripting testing showed X10 could be received and sent.

Archived