Mail Server Failure

Jack1902

While setting up my new ISY994iZW, I attempted to send a test email communication from the Admin Console but I received a Mail Server Failure message. I have configured the device with the default smtp and do not have a fixed IP address. I'm using a Microsoft Surface 3 computer and internet service provided by Hotwire. Universal Support has said I have a firewall on either the computer or router that's blocking third party email.

Has anyone confronted this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks very much for your help.

Hello Jack,

I would encourage you to sign up to Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, who ever for a dedicate email address for the 994 Series Controller. Doing so will ensure mail is sent and received which also removes the reliance on the UDI mail service.

Which has been known to be down or have random send issues . . .

Many of us use Gmail for the SMTP mail server give that a try and report back success / failure as this will help identify if you really do have a firewall issue.

It will take you about five minutes to create a new mail account assuming the name you select isn't used!

Ha . . .

NOTE: It should be pointed out in the (FROM) field in the 994 this field must have the gmail account. Otherwise you will notice no mail being sent and there will be absolutely no sign it just dropped off.

Hello Jack,

I would encourage you to sign up to Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, who ever for a dedicate email address for the 994 Series Controller. Doing so will ensure mail is sent and received which also removes the reliance on the UDI mail service.

Which has been known to be down or have random send issues . . .

Many of us use Gmail for the SMTP mail server give that a try and report back success / failure as this will help identify if you really do have a firewall issue.

It will take you about five minutes to create a new mail account assuming the name you select isn't used!

Ha . . .

NOTE: It should be pointed out in the (FROM) field in the 994 this field must have the gmail account. Otherwise you will notice no mail being sent and there will be absolutely no sign it just dropped off.

Thanks for replying. I originally tried using a gmail smtp since I use gmail. I entered 587 as the port. I also entered my gmail address in the From field. I also checked the TLS box. I received the same error message. I also received an email from Google that an unauthorized device was trying to use the server and they were blocking the communication. Universal Support then instructed me use the default smtp.

Thanks for replying. I originally tried using a gmail smtp since I use gmail. I entered 587 as the port. I also entered my gmail address in the From field. I also checked the TLS box. I received the same error message. I also received an email from Google that an unauthorized device was trying to use the server and they were blocking the communication. Universal Support then instructed me use the default smtp.

Hello Jack,

This may be a very simple issue please login to your Google account and check for all approved devices. If you know the device is the ISY-994 Series Controller obviously say yes its approved or take it out of the banned / denied list.

Can you offer us a screen capture of your mail settings here? You can block out the actual email address so you're not going to get spammed by some random person which is not likely on this forum.

Also, in the past I used in the FROM field the following name which shouldn't make a difference. But wanted to offer this insight in case you wanted to use this same method once you get your mail going.

Mine was ->  994 Series Controller:whatever@gmail.com

Doing the above allowed to know mail was coming from the 994 Series Controller and not from another appliance in the network.

I generally recommend setting up a separate Gmail account for the ISY to use. You have to allow 'insecure' devices in the settings, which is something I'm not willing to do for my primary account.

Then use this new account for the ISY to send from.... Saved me many issues.

I solved the problem by ceasing to use the default smpt and, instead, creating a new, dedicated gmail address.

I generally recommend setting up a separate Gmail account for the ISY to use. You have to allow 'insecure' devices in the settings, which is something I'm not willing to do for my primary account.

Then use this new account for the ISY to send from.... Saved me many issues.

You nailed it!!!  This solved the problem. Thanks VERY MUCH for your reply.

Pretty sure that was the first suggestion to use a dedicated gmail account opposed to the default one, no?

Yep - You sure did! (Didn't see that until just now...)

You encouraged, and I recommended...

I think the important thing is to allow 'unsecure' devices... (Which is a bad term IMO).

Google want users to use 2FA and application passwords - and if you try and use SMTP without that is is blocked by default unless you change this setting.

Yep - You sure did! (Didn't see that until just now...)

You encouraged, and I recommended...

I think the important thing is to allow 'unsecure' devices... (Which is a bad term IMO).

Google want users to use 2FA and application passwords - and if you try and use SMTP without that is is blocked by default unless you change this setting.

LOL, well played my friend . . .

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I do not understand why I cant get the SMTP settings to work. I have my own email server and have tried that and it keeps telling me the password was not accepted but that's certainly not wrong. I then tried a Gmail account (brand new) made sure unsecure settings were released per the message google sent after my attempt and then all I get there is same message Password not accepted which of course cant be true as I got the secure message garble. I then created and tried a yahoo account and there I get sever server not responding. I open outlook and enter all the same data and create an outlook profile with no issue and same settings. The ISY is on its own static IP with DNS settings tested and working and of course no block of services. Ive played with ports, simple passwords you name it and I know I'm using right smtp sever etc or my Outlook profile would not work. I test and test and when I know I for sure have the right settings it tells me my password is incorrect. Ive made siure to use the email address for the username and have tested not putting anything in the form and that doesn't help either. HELP I think I have tested everything possible and other users suggestions.

Hello,

Would you please offer a image capture of your ISY Series Controller SMTP settings. Please delete any private data that may be relevant as seen below.

Does your settings look similar to mine?

Pay special attention to the port number and the *FROM* field as this must be populated.

post-1970-0-56824100-1508171464_thumb.png

Archived