ISY994i/ir Pro - can't restore

I recently had an issue where I was replacing a new Swich link dimmer to my network. When I tried to Link the device. I got an error message. So I tried to do it again. When ever I would try to select any function in the ISY's  GUI, I would get the error message. " Discovering Nodes-Try Again" So I rebooted the system. I got the same error message after rebooting.  Discovering Nodes-Try Again". So I did a factory reset and tried restoring the ISY. when I select the back up file, it says " could not retrieve file.... then the file path. I tried this on several back up files I had saved over the last few weeks.

What is going on?

The " Discovering Nodes-Try Again" message usually means the Finish button was not used to close out Start Linking.  If Admin Console is restarted the Start Linking popup with Finish button is redisplayed, waiting for Finish button.

What was the "error message"?

What was rebooted? Admin Console, ISY?

What was Factory Reset?

I do not recall the first error message when the initial switch did not add to the system. I made a back up of the ISY and rebooted the ISY then I tried to add the switch again. The system allowed me to add the switch. I then did the "replace device" option and that seemed to work ok, but when I logged in to the administrative console again, the old switch, ( I could tell by the address code) was still in the system and the new switch was not to be found. I tried adding the new switch again and that is when the Discovering nodes-Try again message kept popping up. I then did a factory reset of the ISY. ( Paper clip in the little hole in the front for 10 seconds). The ISY came back but as I have previously stated, when I try to restore the ISY with the back up file, I get  " could not retrieve file.... then the file path. I tried this on several back up files I had saved over the last few weeks.

Also, I only get the power light illuminated on the ISY.  

I know this can get tricky and I always look at this twice. I am sure I selected " replace" ( code number of newly discovered switch ) with the settings of ( name of switch in my system I am replacing). I hope that answers your question.

MV

The "Replace ..... with ......" is issued against the existing (old) device.   That is why Insteon address was not correct.   When done the old device node name remains so Scenes and Programs need no changes.  The Insteon address of existing (old) device has been changed to the new device address.

Archived