The Garage Shield - Prevent Garage Break-Ins

elvisimprsntr

Local TV station had a segment on garage break-ins in the area.  

Of course the company spokesperson said “we don’t recommend using a ty-wrap” to secure the quick release handle.    I’ve had a ty-wrap installed for a couple of years since first hearing about the coat hanger break-in method.  

I do have commend them for coming up with a creative and low cost solution.   

https://thegarageshield.com/

Local TV station had a segment on garage break-ins in the area.  

Of course the company spokesperson said “we don’t recommend using a ty-wrap” to secure the quick release handle.    I’ve had a ty-wrap installed for a couple of years since first hearing about the coat hanger break-in method.  

I do have commend them for coming up with a creative and low cost solution.   

https://thegarageshield.com/

I saw this product last year in another related thread and thought it was a good solution for some. It doesn't really address the fact most people don't monitor the actual door via security alarm system.

Nor does it address the fact the door should be physically locked with a dead bolt system. During long periods of absence or when my alarm system is fully armed my door is completely disconnected from the GDO. This is complimented with three independent solenoids that engage two locking bolts to either side of the door and enables the factory door latch.

All of this is fine to ensure the door can't be lifted but does not address a impact breach. For this ballards are put into place to stop a door impact breach from allowing the door to bow and crush open.

Many have almost nothing inside of their garages where as others on the other extreme have tens of thousands of dollars in tools, vehicles, and related hardware.

It really comes down to the amount of danger and threat level a person is surrounded by. Regardless of any security people need to invest in the proper amount of home owners insurance and take lots of photo's held off site and also given to the insurance co.

This is the only thing that will come close to making you whole during a home invasion, fire, natural disaster event. 

Interesting, I've never heard of this method of breaking in.  My last house had a newer garage door and it would slide a bolt to hold the door closed -- I always wondered what it was for.

My current house does not have that but the doors are on the alarm system BUT they aren't working right.  I also have a motion detector and glass break detector in the garage (which also aren't working).  Apparently the alarm system installer decided to put a remote zone expander and I haven't been able to locate it yet to see why I have 3 zones not detecting.

Interesting, I've never heard of this method of breaking in.  My last house had a newer garage door and it would slide a bolt to hold the door closed -- I always wondered what it was for.

My current house does not have that but the doors are on the alarm system BUT they aren't working right.  I also have a motion detector and glass break detector in the garage (which also aren't working).  Apparently the alarm system installer decided to put a remote zone expander and I haven't been able to locate it yet to see why I have 3 zones not detecting.

Yes, the Liftmaster and similar units known to many as the *Jack Shaft* GDO's can not be circumvented by this coat hangar method as the emergency release is on the side of the door.

As you also noted the solenoid dead bolt also prevents the door from opening even if they were able to grab the release cable. As I called out above none of that matters (IF) someone is able to control the GDO from what ever method.

This is why the system needs to be disabled during long term leave or when the home is in a lock down situation. Ultimately a full comprehensive insurance policy must be present and in force to offer that loss protection. 

Good point on insurance -- everything in my garage is replaceable and is covered by insurance, so it is a relatively minor concern while society is functional.

If I was worried about the "push in" approach to bypassing a garage door, bollards would be effective.

Good point on insurance -- everything in my garage is replaceable and is covered by insurance, so it is a relatively minor concern while society is functional.

If I was worried about the "push in" approach to bypassing a garage door, bollards would be effective.

Yup, another (relative) cheaper method is to purchase and install hurricane rated doors. They are probably five times stronger than a average door do to these life and safety concerns.

We don't have hurricanes where I live in Canada so it was a little hard to get these doors sent out and installed back in the day. Because no one had ever seen one so that was a first for a few people in the industry for 35 years!

Ha . . . 

I've have hurricane rated doors and my battery backed Chamberlain motor will drive the door closed on attempts to force the door open. The door position is monitored by my Elk M1G security panel and cameras everywhere.

I subscribe to the @Teken 4D layered approach.

Deter - signs, lighting, landscaping

Delay - BHMA/ANSI Grade 1 locks and reinforced door jams, security film on windows, secondary window locks.

Detect - sensors, cameras

Defend - stainless steel and lead

None of which are necessary in a civil society, but helps me sleep at night.

I've have hurricane rated doors and my battery backed Chamberlain motor will drive the door closed on attempts to force the door open. The door position is monitored by my Elk M1G security panel and cameras everywhere.

I subscribe to the @Teken 4D layered approach.

Deter - signs, lighting, landscaping

Delay - BHMA/ANSI Grade 1 locks and reinforced door jams, security film on windows, secondary window locks.

Detect - sensors, cameras

Defend - stainless steel and lead

None of which are necessary in a civil society, but helps me sleep at night.

I prefer 5D:

Distance - Multiple acres, long driveway, difficult terrain
  • 3 months later...

Yes, the Liftmaster and similar units known to many as the *Jack Shaft* GDO's can not be circumvented by this coat hangar method as the emergency release is on the side of the door.

As you also noted the solenoid dead bolt also prevents the door from opening even if they were able to grab the release cable. As I called out above none of that matters (IF) someone is able to control the GDO from what ever method.

This is why the system needs to be disabled during long term leave or when the home is in a lock down situation. Ultimately a full comprehensive insurance policy must be present and in force to offer that loss protection.

That's what I installed in my garage. The door closes and a bolt locks to door from being forced open.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Archived