Red Flashing on switchlinc

Kevin Connolly

I added two switchlinc on/off switches right next to each other. It seems that one of them randomly flashes red on either on or off after I add it to my controller. When I disconnect it from the controller, it operates the light just fine and there's no red flashing.

Does anyone know what that's about?

What devices are included in the scene you're adding it to?  You might check your comms by opening Event Viewer to Level 3 and operating a few of the devices.  You're looking for Hops Left=(x) where 3 or 2 = good and less = poor.

Jon...

Kevin Connolly

Without actual trace data, it would indicate that the SwitchLinc is having difficulty communicating with the PLM.  When removed from the ISY the SwitchLinc no longer has a Controller link with the PLM.   All devices that can operate as a Controller are linked to the PLM when they are added to the ISY.  This is required for the ISY (PLM) to know the status of the device.  As jerlands already noted, the Hops Left count on comm to/from SwitchLinc to PLM is important to know.

Ok. Thanks guys that information is helpful. The hops left count I'm getting is either 1 or 0.

Now that I know this how do I get rid of it? Do I have to install something across the phases? And if so, what is that something?

Poor comms can be caused by improper phase (electrical leg) coupling or by noise in the powerline.  If switchlincs are dual-band you might place range extender/lamplinc/on-off module in vicinity but you should probably trace other devices to see it the problem exists only on the circuit in question or if it's widespread throughout your installation.

Easy to do.. open event viewer to level 3 and in admin console turn on and off devices to see how wide the problem is.

Jon...

Ok. Thanks guys that information is helpful. The hops left count I'm getting is either 1 or 0.

Now that I know this how do I get rid of it? Do I have to install something across the phases? And if so, what is that something?

If problem is widespread then I suggest looking for a sources of noise/signal suckers and install filterlinc @ outlet for all electronics and UPS.

I prefer using range extenders (two of them) to enhance network as they repeat signals both powerline and RF.

Jon...

Kevin

Its a new feature, and AFAIK you can't get rid of it short of solving comm related issues with the responses to the links that the switch sends. I have keypad key that turns off 2 sets of low voltage light transformers. One of them is very far away on the power line and I always get a red blink when turning it off. 

If its functioning properly outside of the red blink, suppose you could disassemble the switchlinc and cut the leads to the LED.

Paul

Archived