DIY Laser Etched KPL Custom Buttons

marcin

• 1 year later...

Hey guys. So I'm curious what you guys are doing now that it seems smarthome has stopped selling blank buttons? It looks like the stock button are just screen printed. Wondering if there is a decent chemical process to just clean the stock buttons and then I can just use those? 

3 hours ago, Brian H said:

Smart Home Products. Is showing the Blank White KPL buttons along with a few other items like KPL color change kits and  LED light pipes for Switchlincs, on their web site store.

https://www.smarthome-products.com/p-1764-2401bt10-blank-10-button-set-for-keypadlinc-white.aspx

I got excited.... briefly.  Unless I'm missing something tho, I believe they are out of stock.  I did finally find an item with an 'add to cart' button, but many items on that site are missing the crucial 'add to cart' button, without calling I'm assuming that means out of stock, although they don't actually display those words either.

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, Banichi said:

Hey guys. So I'm curious what you guys are doing now that it seems smarthome has stopped selling blank buttons? It looks like the stock button are just screen printed. Wondering if there is a decent chemical process to just clean the stock buttons and then I can just use those? 

I used acetone a few years ago when I did this Avery Label method--works pretty well if you just use a bit on a cotton swab and take a few swipes then repeat with a swab that has water; don't over do it or you'll pull the glossy finish off too much.

EDIT: I can't find the original link, but if anyone is interested in the label method: 

Avery 18667 Clear Return Address Labels + Arial Bold Font, 7 pt + a sharp razor blade. Problem solved! 

That was what I did a few years ago, and they stood up to a lot of use. Ready to graduate to the lasers now though. Thanks to everyone who's posted their experience so far; will be trying this soon.

On 10/23/2020 at 6:46 PM, epfunke said:

I have had great luck using clear p-touch labels.  their software allows you to import graphics too.  

Why havent I thought of that! I have one laying around that I can use. What size label do you use and do you have an easy way to place the label correctly(Square and center)?

I have not re-labeled one in a while.  I think i used 1/2" tape?  any size can work if it is too wide you can always trim with scissors.   as far as placing it I use a pair of fine tweezers to line it up and then just press on it to secure.  

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

What size label do you use and do you have an easy way to place the label correctly(Square and center)?

For the Avery 18667 I set the button face up and use the overhang of the labels to position it, then flip the button over and trim the excess with an xacto knife. 

For those that are interested I have been looking into a bigger laser that will allow me to do batches of buttons. Since I install Insteon as part of my business I'm looking for a way to save hundreds of dollars per install. 

I've been going down the k40 rabbit hole and it seems quite interesting for sure. But definitely a bit of work to get up and running. 

Archived