New PLM, and now garage door is opening by itself

Naptown

I/O Linc is a power line only module.

So RF directly to it is not used. Possibly an RF issue to a Dual Band Module close to it that was passing the command to the I/O Linc.

More likely you have spotty power line communications to the I/O Linc and the added commands when adding it have issues. On and Off are much simpler commands. I have seen other reports here. Where adding a module needed it close to the PLM but where fine after adding them in their normal location.

Since you deleted the two devices I have to assume you never refreshed the Mobilinc Application. I would do a poll of the network in the app and see if the status is correct.

I don't understand.  Are you suggesting 'syncing with ISY' in mobilinc?  Full download or update only?

I/O Linc is a power line only module.

So RF directly to it is not used. Possibly an RF issue to a Dual Band Module close to it that was passing the command to the I/O Linc.

More likely you have spotty power line communications to the I/O Linc and the added commands when adding it have issues. On and Off are much simpler commands. I have seen other reports here. Where adding a module needed it close to the PLM but where fine after adding them in their normal location.

I have a couple of dual band DimmerLincs not too far away.  I do have plans to install a couple more, hopefully that solves it.

I don't understand.  Are you suggesting 'syncing with ISY' in mobilinc?  Full download or update only?

I would try the update method first and see what happens should that fail move forward with the full download. Also, it goes with out saying you really need to complete the 4 tap beacon test to ensure your Insteon network is properly coupled / bridged.

Lastly, the garage must have a few noise makers / signal suckers in the area so that really needs to be addressed. As all the coupling / bridging in the world will not supersede the need to identify and filter / remove those culprits. 

I know this has been a long journey for you and frustrations can make the whole HA experience anything but positive. But your task today is to at least confirm the 4 tap beacon test in various parts of the home.

The full users manual will outline what to look for as different model years and devices blinked their LED differently. Next, remove all CFL / LED bulbs in that garage and leave that area empty.

Unplug everything in that garage including the GDO to see (IF) communications are restored or remain the same. You will only add back one single item until you see a fault.

Being methodical is the only way to succeed in this endeavor - take a deep breath - this is supposed to be fun!

Worst case go for a walk and smoke a bowl . . . 

.....this is supposed to be fun!

Worst case go for a walk and smoke a bowl . . . 

OK, I'm going to go for a walk 1st thing when I get home.  8)

Naptown

Take a look at this troubleshooting link, hopefully this will point you in the right direction

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=INSTEON:_Troubleshooting_Communications_Errors

Great, I'll check this stuff out too.  I have a ton to do tonight before vacation!

Circling back - what happens when a dimmerlinc fails?  Can it cause power line communication issues?  My kitchen has the one that started acting funny....  Just curious of what others have experienced when a dimmerlinc fails...

Circling back - what happens when a dimmerlinc fails?  Can it cause power line communication issues?  My kitchen has the one that started acting funny....  Just curious of what others have experienced when a dimmerlinc fails...

It's rare for a failed module to cause powerline problems.  I would suggest doing a factory reset on the module, then a restore device from the ISY.  Another possibility is the load it's controlling has an issue, especially if it's a CFL.

I would try the update method first and see what happens should that fail move forward with the full download. Also, it goes with out saying you really need to complete the 4 tap beacon test to ensure your Insteon network is properly coupled / bridged.

Lastly, the garage must have a few noise makers / signal suckers in the area so that really needs to be addressed. As all the coupling / bridging in the world will not supersede the need to identify and filter / remove those culprits. 

I know this has been a long journey for you and frustrations can make the whole HA experience anything but positive. But your task today is to at least confirm the 4 tap beacon test in various parts of the home.

This is going to have to wait until I get back from vacation.  I have a TON to get done in a short amount of time.

It's rare for a failed module to cause powerline problems.  I would suggest doing a factory reset on the module, then a restore device from the ISY.  Another possibility is the load it's controlling has an issue, especially if it's a CFL.

Airgap reset on the one switch is all it took.  Both switches working as intended.  I boxed up a TON of CFL bulbs about 2 weeks ago.  Read how bad they are with HA.  I installed a bunch of led bulbs.

<snipped>

To try to link it, I'm holding the set button for about 3 seconds and the led blinks (linking mode I believe).  I tried the 'start linking' and it doesn't recognize it.  I tried to manually add it with the address and letting 'auto discover' find the device type.  I don't see a 2450 on the dropdowns either.  This is the error I'm now getting when trying to manually add and use auto discover:

The linking button is to manually create links between devices as per SH instructions.

Only battery devices need to be put into linking mode with ISY.

Archived