A quick question

epete

Is there any advantage of linking every device to ISY/PLC?  I am thinking there are some devices that are easier to simply connect between the two devices with the set link button or am I better off connecting everything through ISY?

Is there any advantage of linking every device to ISY/PLC?  I am thinking there are some devices that are easier to simply connect between the two devices with the set link button or am I better off connecting everything through ISY?

Generally speaking everything should be added and scenes created using the ISY Series Controller. Failure to do so will not allow the controller to know the true state of the device(s). Also there may be instances where the controller may crawl the Insteon network and cause unintended actions.

There are however some instances where linking directly to the end device is needed or required. They are when the ISY does not formally support said hardware device like the latest Alert Module. Another instance is where you wish to run an isolated network like a separate controller say the HUB II because it offers you some random feature not seen on the ISY.

Lastly, there may be instances where the controller is having issues linking the device(s) so a interim fix is to link them directly until root cause is determined.

Archived