keypads won't work after power outage

iowaj

Some loads do not accept a dimmer.   Need to use on/off or dimmer based on what type load is/will be controlled.

EDIT:  if using the SwitchLinc in a 3-way configuration where the SwlichLinc is the secondary device, the on/off module does not have LEDs behind the middle openings so it can be difficult to see the level of the device controlling the load.   Just another factor in considering whether to use a dimmer or on/off device.  

I haven't had any luck getting 2 of my 8 button keypads operating again and am assuming they are shot. Hasn't been urgent to get these going yet and was waiting for SH Memorial Day Sale at 20% off so am now ready to order.   In addition to the keypads, I am getting some switches.  Does it matter if I purchase the dimmer or on/off switches?  I assume from what I read the dimmer switches have the function of on/off with the bonus of a dimmer.  I can get a 4 pack of dimmers, 2477D, or a 5 pack of on/off, 2477S, at a considerable savings compared to ordering individual switches.  I know I have 2 that are acting up and thought I'd order a pack to have some extras on hand. I don't need the dimmers in a couple of places but ordering by the pack is cheaper in the long run. Thoughts?

Another factor, outside of load matching, is the fact that the on/off versions make a definitive 'click' when the A/On button is turned on or off. I have my outside floodlights all responding to A. When the MS activates the outside lights, they all click- even though none of the keypads are actually controlling the  load. I've turned that into a positive, its a way to know that something is moving around in an area that's not directly visible. The on/offs were the earliest dualband keypads available, that's why i initially got them

But some may not like it. If the switches are near a table, and people are sitting there, it will get noticed. Not as bad as the X10 stuff was, but noticeable. Dimmers will be completely silent.

Paul

Archived