RemoteLinc2-Switch

jrini

I recently bought three Mini Remotes, Model 2342-2.  I planned to use them in what the electricians call a three-way switch configuration.  I then perform the following steps:

1)  I do a factory reset.

2)  I use the "Link Management" drop down menu on the admin console

3)  "Link a RemoteLinc 2.

4)  Switch.

At this point I assign the address and name.  The proper model number appears to be assigned.

However the ISY then shows the device as an "Unsupported Device 0.28".

I can move the Switch to the correct folder and add it to the scene I want it in. 

The problem -- the Switch is always added to the scene as a "Responder".  There is no opportunity to change the status.  This makes the Switch useless.

I have tried this with all three switches.

I have also tried the procedure on the "Quick Start Guide" to verify that the Switches are functioning properly.

FWIW  My ISY Firmware is v.4.4.6

My ISY   UI is v.4.2.2

John Rini

Hello John,

I am having a hard time following what you're saying. Your initial post indicates you bought 3 remotes which I assume is to control another Insteon piece of hardware like the following: Switch Linc, On-Off, Lamp Linc, ILL, etc.

Linking a remote to any of the following will always end up being a *Responder*.

You can not activate  / control a battery operated remote control via another Insteon device because its asleep until you press the button.

NOTE: As an aside your UI and Firmware should match otherwise odd things will happen. Please ensure you use and down load the respective Admin Console for the firmware in use.

The Remotelinc can only be added to a scene as a controller, it is never a responder.

As Stu suggested, update your UI to 4.4.6

Delete the Remotelinc from the ISY, then do a factory reset on the Remotelinc. Be sure the battery is fully charged.

Make sure you're within range of a dual band device, put the Remotelinc into the linking mode, then enter its address into the ISY under linking management, new Insteon device and hit enter.

Once it's installed in the ISY you can add it to a scene.

First to answer Stu's comment.  I did perform an automatic update to my ISY Firmware today.  The results after the update were the same.  I attempted to find an update for the user interface.  I obviously did not find such an update.

If someone can tell me where to find a user interface update I will be appreciative.

Second to address Teken's and Techsman's comments.

Normally the ISY Admin Console puts a small window up for each device that is being added to a scene.  That window NORMALLY WAITS for a user to confirm that the device is being added as a Responder or as a controller.

Each time I attempt to add a RemoteLinc 2 to a scene, that window DOES NOT ALLOW THE STATUS of the battery powered RemoteLinc 2 to be changed from Responder.

Techman's statement "The Remotelinc can only be added to a scene as a controller, it is never a responder" is describing the necessary condition for the RemoteLinc 2 to be useful.  My Admin console is always adding RemoteLinc 2s to scenes as responders.

To repeat: My problem is that I cannot change the status of a RemoteLinc 2 in any scene to "controller".

John Rini

Updating the ISY firmware and UI are separate processes. The UI is not automatically installed, it must be manually updated. Follow the step 4 instructions.

First to answer Stu's comment.  I did perform an automatic update to my ISY Firmware today.  The results after the update were the same.  I attempted to find an update for the user interface.  I obviously did not find such an update.

If someone can tell me where to find a user interface update I will be appreciative.

Second to address Teken's and Techsman's comments.

Normally the ISY Admin Console puts a small window up for each device that is being added to a scene.  That window NORMALLY WAITS for a user to confirm that the device is being added as a Responder or as a controller.

Each time I attempt to add a RemoteLinc 2 to a scene, that window DOES NOT ALLOW THE STATUS of the battery powered RemoteLinc 2 to be changed from Responder.

Techman's statement "The Remotelinc can only be added to a scene as a controller, it is never a responder" is describing the necessary condition for the RemoteLinc 2 to be useful.  My Admin console is always adding RemoteLinc 2s to scenes as responders.

To repeat: My problem is that I cannot change the status of a RemoteLinc 2 in any scene to "controller".

John Rini

to get the current UI go to this address  http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/18585-release-446-is-now-official/

First delete your Java cache and applications then scroll down to paragraph #4 and select option A. 

Did you Delete the Remotelinc from the ISY and then reinstall it after you updated your UI?

• 3 weeks later...

I have not been responding to this issue because I was getting a lot of irreconcilable results.  e.g. If I deleted a device from a scene, it disappeared from the admin console, if I then attempted to return that device to the scene, I would get a message that  the device was already in the scene.  The weirdest results was when I added a Mini Remote Switch to a scene and it appeared in the admin console  represented by a light bulb icon.  It was listed as a responder but acted as a controller.  I did a screen scrape of the Mini Remote Switch represented by a light bulb icon.  I attempted to attach that image but did not succeed.

After some more testing it became obvious that all, save one, of the scenes implemented by the ISY 994IR pro were working but none of the programs involving ISY operations were working.  I therefore assume that my PLM is inoperative. 

This is not the first project that I have worked on where we had to specify the brand names of all of the passive and active components.  I have opened the PLM and do not see any deformation of capacitors.  Without seeing any indication of failures, I have to ask, How are the newest generation of PLM's holding up?

John Rini

I have not been responding to this issue because I was getting a lot of irreconcilable results.  e.g. If I deleted a device from a scene, it disappeared from the admin console, if I then attempted to return that device to the scene, I would get a message that  the device was already in the scene.  The weirdest results was when I added a Mini Remote Switch to a scene and it appeared in the admin console  represented by a light bulb icon.  It was listed as a responder but acted as a controller.  I did a screen scrape of the Mini Remote Switch represented by a light bulb icon.  I attempted to attach that image but did not succeed.

After some more testing it became obvious that all, save one, of the scenes implemented by the ISY 994IR pro were working but none of the programs involving ISY operations were working.  I therefore assume that my PLM is inoperative. 

This is not the first project that I have worked on where we had to specify the brand names of all of the passive and active components.  I have opened the PLM and do not see any deformation of capacitors.  Without seeing any indication of failures, I have to ask, How are the newest generation of PLM's holding up?

John Rini

Hello John,

There have been (very limited) reports of hardware revisions 2.1 / 2.2 having failed under six months in this forum. No one can say for certain if the failures were in fact hardware faults vs user error at this time.

Keeping in mind the latest hardware revision 2.1 / 2.2 2413S PLM's were supposed to fix the early capacitor failures seen by tens of thousands of people around North America.

Lastly, these latest PLM's no longer support the ALL ON - ALL OFF command set which a limited subset of users have been impacted by random ALL ON - ALL OFF events / incidents in their home.

• 1 month later...

Two weeks ago I installed a new PLM.  I used the “Restore modem” command to re-initialize the PLM.  Nothing I saw made any sense. Everything either had a green 1011 icon or a red exclamation mark on it.  So I then used the “Restore devices” command.  This eliminated all of the green icons and most of the exclamations.  However all of the 6 button key pads and the RemoteLinc 2 8 button keypad did not work properly.

I have since replaced every scene in my Admin console.  As a result of deleting all of the scenes, shutting down the Admin console, then re-opening the Admin console and re-programming all of the scenes for the 6 button key pads, the lights associated with the FanLincs are now working properly.  None of the four ABCD buttons are working properly.  I have spent the last week trying to identify a pattern of failures for the buttons controlling the fan speeds but even the LED lights behind those buttons behave differently on each of the 6 button keypads. 

The RemoteLinc2 8 button key pad is only used via ISY programs and none of those buttons are recognized by the ISY programs.  Only my Insteon thermostat that uses a combination of ISY programs and scenes is working exactly as it did before I replaced the PLM. 

The three RemoteLinc 2 Paddle switches are working properly.  One of them is working in a Scene with the Kitchen Fan Light.  However all three of these RemoteLinc 2 Paddle infrequently follow up their action with 10 flashes of the red led.

I hope my conclusion is wrong but I am thinking that either my ISY or the new PLM is defective.

Any advice will be appreciated.

John Rini

I found with my new PLM making changes to original RemoteLincs didn't work if they where close enough to the PLM for RF access.

I ended up making changes with the remote at the other end of the house. So it had to be accessed by a different Dual Band device through the power line to the PLM.

You may want to try making updates with the remote in question far away from the PLM itself.

My main concern is the five (5) FanLincs and six (6) 6 Button Key Pads for which none of the scenes involving the fan motors are working while all of the scenes for the fan lights are working.

At the present time, I am only turning fans off and on with the attached pull chains.

I provided the information about the eight button RemoteLinc2 in the hope that it could help someone more familiar with the technology get an idea about the problem.

John Rini

Yes, I have one scene for each Fan Light and four scenes for each fan motor.  Because I do not work with the scenes very often, I saved the set of scenes that were working for the master bedroom fan before the catastrophe. 

After I finished rebuilding all of the scenes, I found one button, the C button for one fan that turned that fan off.  All four of the A, B, C, & D buttons turned all of the LED back lights on and the A, B, & D buttons put the fan motor in what appears to be medium speed.  On other key pads, the A, B, & D  buttons all seem to put the fan motors in high speed and all result in what I have to call random lighting of the LED back lights.

John Rini

Archived