Leak Sensor Heartbeat and Messaging

Dean

1. Yes, it did change state, going from Dry-on to Dry-off, etc. It blinked every XX seconds. No fluttering.

2. Pressing the set button did cause the status to change back to Dry-On, etc.

3. Here's where it gets kind of strange. I placed the leak detector in the same dish in water underneath the sink at the bar. That's about 20 feet from my office. (always convenient to have a bar near the office, but I digress) When I placed it in the water, the status did not change in the console, but I did immediately get the text message telling me there was a leak detected at that location. I then took the sensor out from under the bar and sat it on the cabinet and repeated the test. Status changed in the console and the text message came, When I dried and reset the leak sensor, it behaved correctly.

That being said, I have an access point plugged into the wall not 5 feet from the bar sink. Of course, there is a dishwasher and and refrigerator in its path of direct sight from the access point to the sensor underneath the bar. I also have the paceyben Somfy bridge in the outlet just above the sink, although I don't know if that relays a signal. I'm going to leave it on the top of the cabinet for the 26 hours and see what happens, unless you have another suggestion. Thanks again for all your help!

What is the bar made of and is there any metal surrounding the sensor? Can you offer any pictures of the actual placement?

What is the bar made of and is there any metal surrounding the sensor? Can you offer any pictures of the actual placement?

It's a wooden custom cabinetry bar with granite tops. The sink is a metal bar sink. I have the leak sensor sitting underneath the cabinet, just below the drain and water pipes. To the left of the sink is a stainless steel dishwasher and to the left of that a stainless steel bar refrigerator. I'll provide pictures when I return home later today. Strange thing is that it worked fine for a long time and has just started displaying this behavior. I can't think of anything that has changed in that area.

Here is a photo of the area of the bar in question. I have noted the location of the access point, etc. One update . . . the sensor still did not send the heartbeat, therefore the variable stayed at 2. I have a spare leak sensor which is new. I installed it as a seperate instance and placed it under the bar. It has operated fine. I think the leak sensor in question is faulty. How do I explain that when it does behave correctly when I place it into a small amount of water and then dry it off.

post-4196-0-84984800-1466706159_thumb.png

Dean,

Do you have a plug under the sink where your leak sensor is, if so then plug the access point into that plug.

The leak sensors have a very low RF output and with all the metal and other obstacles between the sensor and your dual band device its possible that the signal is still marginal.

Additionally you may want to make sure the access point in working. I don't think there's any way to query them which is why I use either a lamplinc or on/off module as access points.

First, what a beautiful bar you have down stairs - must be really tough on you when your sent to the basement by the wife!

LOL . . .

To be clear when you left the leak sensor on the top of the counter after the customary 24 - 26 hour wait the system didn't update correctly? If so given the pictures offered here I would submit a RMA and have the item crossed docked.

Meaning Smarthome will charge your CC first while you ship back the defective product. Meanwhile they will ship out a replacement immediately instead of waiting for the returned product.

If time isn't an issue than just submit the RMA and ship it back to them and sit back and wait for the warranty replacement unit.

First, what a beautiful bar you have down stairs - must be really tough on you when your sent to the basement by the wife!

LOL . . .

To be clear when you left the leak sensor on the top of the counter after the customary 24 - 26 hour wait the system didn't update correctly? If so given the pictures offered here I would submit a RMA and have the item crossed docked.

Meaning Smarthome will charge your CC first while you ship back the defective product. Meanwhile they will ship out a replacement immediately instead of waiting for the returned product.

If time isn't an issue than just submit the RMA and ship it back to them and sit back and wait for the warranty replacement unit.

Thanks for the compliment. This was one of the only thing I had a say in when we "downsized" to this house a couple of years back. There's a bedroom downstairs too, so you're right, it would be tough to be relegated to the basement! :-)

I think you're right on the leak sensor(s). I have two that I haven't assigned to a location as yet. I'll probably switch those out, as they seem to be working fine from those locations. Thanks again for all your help!

Archived