Recessed can lighting baffles/trim and such

arw01

doing some extensive renovations to a 1955 Rancher that had one ceiling fixture for the small dinning and living room.  Of course insteon will be used extensively through out and it goes without saying I will be expanding the system another dozen devices or so.

Going to use the inline linc for the recessed cans, but got wondering about the baffles and such you all prefer.  I see chromed ones to toss the light out and around a bit more, black ones to limit the light tossing, white etc.

Those baffles can cost 2x or more of the cans and seem to be a racket.  Even the cheap ones I found at $9.00 each are crazy expensive when the can only costs a bit more than that!

Anyone find some sources for trim rings and baffles that don't break the bank, what do you prefer for trim rings etc.

Some day I would like to find a snoot like one or a really, really focused light to use for side of the bed for reading, so one person does not wake up the other.

Alan

Some day I would like to find a snoot like one or a really, really focused light to use for side of the bed for reading, so one person does not wake up the other.

Airlines do that now with seat lighting B)

I was looking today again at lights, can pick up a LED retrofit for about $15.00 vs buying a baffle for $9.00 and then the bulb for a few more dollars.  have to ask the wifey which one she likes. So far just 2 65 watt BR30 in the baffle are more light than we ever had in that room!

I like the extra security of the can if something goes haywire with the LED module, that bit of metal around it will help contain the heat.

Looking more for a super directional light, as suggested from planes, but has to be from the 8' ceiling down to side of the bed and leaving most of the light off the other side of the bed.

Looks like a pinhole baffle may do the trick, with black in the light area to limit the spill.  Putting a focused par20 light should help with that.

Appreciate the ideas here fellows, let me come up with a couple different search terms and maybe found what I need.

Archived