Scenes failing after PLM replacement

mschaefe

Hi,

My PLM went bad last week. Yesterday its replacement came. I'm running v 4.4.6 ISY 994i.  When I got the PLM switched out, I selected "Restore Modem (PLM)". That seemed to work, but a few of the devices reported communications errors, so I ended up running "Restore Devices". I've run that a few times.

Right now, all of the switches and scenes seem to be working locally - clicking the keypad turns the light on/off - but ISY fails to control any of the scenes. When I run a scene test diagnostic, it fails for every scene, and when I click "on" or "off" for that scene, nothing happens.

Just now, I picked a scene, deleted it in the ISY and re-created it, and now it is working. I'm hoping I don't have to do that for every scene. Is there some remnant of the old PLM still stuck in the ISY scene config?

Any ideas?

Hi,

My PLM went bad last week. Yesterday its replacement came. I'm running v 4.4.6 ISY 994i.  When I got the PLM switched out, I selected "Restore Modem (PLM)". That seemed to work, but a few of the devices reported communications errors, so I ended up running "Restore Devices". I've run that a few times.

Right now, all of the switches and scenes seem to be working locally - clicking the keypad turns the light on/off - but ISY fails to control any of the scenes. When I run a scene test diagnostic, it fails for every scene, and when I click "on" or "off" for that scene, nothing happens.

Just now, I picked a scene, deleted it in the ISY and re-created it, and now it is working. I'm hoping I don't have to do that for every scene. Is there some remnant of the old PLM still stuck in the ISY scene config?

Any ideas?

The scenes reside in the PLM. It sounds like the restore modem didn't write all the links to the PLM. Did you follow the replace PLM guidelines set forth in the ISY wiki?

Here's the link   http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu

Try removing power from both the ISY and PLM, then power up the PLM and wait about 15 seconds then power up the ISY.

If that didn't resolve you problems then do another restore modem.

Did that resolve your issues?

I'm pretty sure I followed it. I'm not 100% sure I powered off the ISY after I swapped the PLM.  I just did what you recommended and there is no change. I was following the execution of Replace PLM and it only gets to 2% before it quits the process. I can't catch the message it displays before the window goes away, but it doesn't look like an error.

I should mention the first time, there were a number of modules that I had to run "Write updates to device" on, but I programmed all those.

I'm pretty sure I followed it. I'm not 100% sure I powered off the ISY after I swapped the PLM.  I just did what you recommended and there is no change. I was following the execution of Replace PLM and it only gets to 2% before it quits the process. I can't catch the message it displays before the window goes away, but it doesn't look like an error.

I should mention the first time, there were a number of modules that I had to run "Write updates to device" on, but I programmed all those.

Take a look at the link I sent you for replacing the PLM and give it another try.

Hopefully you did NOT do a DELETE PLM. (you should never do a delete PLM)

run a diagnostics and count the PLM links, how many do you show?

Tried again with the same results.

ISY reports 27 links for 19 devices, including an 8 button and 4 button keypad.

What is interesting is that the ISY links for a device I fixed in a scene reports 6 links. A device that is identically configured in a scene is reported as 4 links in ISY. The two "extra" links are with the PLM on the scene that is working.

If I remember correctly, the ISY was in safe mode because the old PLM failed. I don't remember rebooting it before trying to restore PLM. When that failed (I think it just gave an error), I rebooted the ISY, and tried to restore PLM and write updates. It won't be a huge deal to recreate the scenes, just hoping there was another way around it.

Tried again with the same results.

ISY reports 27 links for 19 devices, including an 8 button and 4 button keypad.

What is interesting is that the ISY links for a device I fixed in a scene reports 6 links. A device that is identically configured in a scene is reported as 4 links in ISY. The two "extra" links are with the PLM on the scene that is working.

Do a scene test on one of the scenes that isn't working and then copy and paste the results into your post.

The PLM link count can vary depending on the ISY activity so you may want to run it again. You should have more than 27.

It looks like you're missing some of the links in the PLM. Either the restore is incomplete or your ISY is missing data. Do you have a good ISY back up made prior to the PLM failure?

You should also run a compare link table diagnostics on the devices in the scene to see if the ISY link data is the same as the PLM link data

Sat 07/02/2016 05:10:35 PM : [GRP-RX ] 02 61 17 13 00 15

----- Master Bedroom Test Results -----

[Failed] Keypad E(Bedroom) (2F BE B4 5)

[Failed] Master Bedroom (3B EC 4B 1)

I only have 9 scenes to rebuild, so probably easier just to rebuild those scenes. My backup is from an older version because I couldn't get it to backup to my laptop before I upgraded.

The comparison shows the same between ISY and the device, so ISY just seems to think it doesn't need to add the two additional PLM entries to the scene. When I delete and recreate the scene, those two PLM entries get added and everything works fine.

Sat 07/02/2016 05:10:35 PM : [GRP-RX ] 02 61 17 13 00 15

[Failed] Keypad E(Bedroom) (2F BE B4 5)

[Failed] Master Bedroom (3B EC 4B 1)

I only have 9 scenes to rebuild, so probably easier just to rebuild those scenes. My backup is from an older version because I couldn't get it to backup to my laptop before I upgraded.

The comparison shows the same between ISY and the device, so ISY just seems to think it doesn't need to add the two additional PLM entries to the scene. When I delete and recreate the scene, those two PLM entries get added and everything works fine.

It's always a good idea to have a current backup

Did rebuilding the scenes clear up all your issues?

Archived