2486DWH6 Cannot Determine Insteon Engine

I think they are mistaken on the capacitors.

I have a 2413S PLM Hardware 1B, Date Code:1408 Firmware 9B

C7 and C13 are the same Samcon 10uF/35 Volt ones. Found in most of the other hardware revisions.

I do believe there are different configurations and are hard to keep track of.

I have seen some users report a 100uF/35 volt in one position and the other one is a 10uF/35 volt.

I have two of the original hardware 1.0. One has 10uF/35 volt caps the other one 10uF/25 volt ones. For C7 and C13.

I think they are mistaken on the capacitors.

I have a 2413S PLM Hardware 1B, Date Code:1408 Firmware 9B

I'm sure of it now (they are mistaken). Maybe I will play tech support roulette and hope I get a different tech.

I didn't want to unplug the PLM to report the version, as it's behind my big rack cabinet. So, I reported the firmware version, same as your, 9B. That baffled the tech, who said he'd never heard of that. I replied that I am sure that I remembered it was marked "1.B" on the back, and that seemed to satisfy him.

He was equally baffled at my statement that reported firmware versions of devices often varied from the hardware markings on the outside of devices. He said something like "there is no firmware".

The tech you spoke to is not technically knowledgeable. Is should not matter if you're on two phases of 3-hase supply or a split, single-phase electric supply as long as you have adequate coupling. The has not been a 2-phase electric supply in the US since the early 1900s except for Philadelphia. Also, selling a device on eBay is up to you, but that advice should never come from support, not even the suggestion that you do that.

Of course there are various hardware and firmware versions. Hardware changes include upgraded (hopefully) components, color LEDs for the set button and more. Firmware upgrades involve what the device can do. Both are somewhat related.

As far as grouping is concerned, there is no way that it can affect the hardware although the links can be messed up. A factory reset will fix that for the device itself, but not for any of the devices links. You can probably perform a few hundred factory resets (or more) without damaging a device.

• 7 months later...

Was revisiting this today, as I have a bunch of these, and had an older (still) single-band KPL that needs replacing.

These early dual-band models definitely have difficulty communicating. When put on a zip cord and plugged into the other half of the duplex outlet that the PLM is plugged into, it always takes either one or two hops to communicate with the PLM (that is, hops left = 1 or hops left = 0). And, so, they are hopeless when placed in another room, and especially if on the other phase.

Going through my stock to see if any of them will work in one hop.

I think they go in the trash now. Tested 3 KPL v5.3, all do the same thing. The PLM can talk to them when plugged into the same outlet as the PLM, but only with 1 or 0 hops remaining. And when they are put on the line, it causes frequent communication failures on other devices.

They are all dated 2010.

Most of my older V1.8 single-band KPLs are still fine. They are from 2008. Only one has ever failed.

Single-band device had been around for years. Communication difficulties are nearly always caused by something on the powerline. That was the very purpose for the use of RF to supplement, not replace, powerline signals. If cost is not prohibitive, then dual-band devices are certainly an improvement.

But, keep in mind that devices that interfere with powerline signals often deteriorate over time and may even overcome the advantage of RF communication. Replacing poerline devices with dual-band devices is a quick fix and may be all you need. But maybe not a few years down the line. IMO, it's best to find the cause of the problem. It can be time consuming.

Yea, I'm just going to get another of the current generation KPLs - they seem to work really well.

The ones with the problem are the very first generation of dual-band. I'm not so sure it is that, though, as I also have a bunch of single-band SLs (5.15) from the same year that exhibit similar problems. I just think that 2010 was a very bad year for Insteon...

Maybe it is because they are early I2.

Archived