Alexa questions including can't find device or group or finds several devices

deirwin

I love the integration, but I'm having several issues/questions.

1. I get a response of “Sorry, I couldn’t find a device or group named xx in account”.  Even if she says the device back to me exactly as programmed.  "Kitchen Sink" for example.
  2. “I’ve found several devices matching that name.  Which one did you mean?"  I have changed names to some items to overcome, but I am also wondering if scenes impact this?
  3. Some scenes seem to work, "Backyard lights" for example, but some do not, "Main Floor" for example, even though I added it through "Add" "Scene" and she says it back to me exactly as programmed.  Maybe scenes have to be programmed into a KPL button to work?
  4. Is there a syncing process I should go through after I rename Spoken or Alternate Spokens?

Thanks!

Dean

I don't think Alexa knows the difference between scenes, programs and devices so you cannot overlap names at all.

Only at some point in the portal to ISY is the scene, program, or device differentiated.

Click "discover" in the setup app or say

"Alexa. Discover"

I'm not sure what "scenes need to be programmed into a KPL button" means. Scenes need one or more controllers and the scene name given a "spoken." Alexa invokes the spoken, be it a device or scene, programs are handled a little differently.

I'm not sure what "scenes need to be programmed into a KPL button" means. Scenes need one or more controllers and the scene name given a "spoken." Alexa invokes the spoken, be it a device or scene, programs are handled a little differently.

How do you find program to be a little different?

I find adding devices, programs, and scenes the exact same procedure, and the spoken techniques exactly the same also.

Can you explain? Maybe I missed something in this abstract black box. :)

On and off turn devices and scenes on and off, respectively. That can't be changed. With programs, On runs Then and Off runs Else. You can have Then and/or Else do anything you want. For example, with window coverings you can specify that on opens or closes, your choice.

BTW, some posters have had success with "open" and "close." I have been able to do that with devices and scenes, but not with programs.

On and off turn devices and scenes on and off, respectively. That can't be changed. With programs, On runs Then and Off runs Else. You can have Then and/or Else do anything you want. For example, with window coverings you can specify that on opens or closes, your choice.

BTW, some posters have had success with "open" and "close." I have been able to do that with devices and scenes, but not with programs.

Thanks!

Interesting. I don't have any open/close devices so never encountered that speech psychology, yet.

I run almost all programs so I did have to fudge one "All Lights Off" program to accommodate the negative voice logic "Off" to run the Then.

• "Alexa. Turn Off All Lights"

If

switchlinc is switched On etc...

Then

set lights Off

set Hue lights off

set MiLights  off

Else                                           <------"Alexa. Turn Off"   jumps in here.

run Program self (Then)       <-------added for voice input

The rest of my voice connection programs are all Then actions only, and all just require

• Alexa. Turn On.....

If you want to issue an Off exclusively, then you may want to leave the Then field blank and place your commands as Else statements.

I thought about that but the Then section is being used for the Switchlinc, that was the only trigger.

But.... I got cheap on program usage and chickened out, keeping advancements centralised into one spot also. Good programming practice in most cases. :)

Archived