How to use Echo Outside of US

TheFallenAngel

• 1 month later...

Hmmm....this doesn't seem to be working with my New Dot - second editoin.  TimezoneID works then it fails after that.

What isn't working? What fails? Are you not able to use the Echo Dot at all?

@stusviews 

Hi, 

I have an Amazon Echo, just purchased and delivered. It's working good. I live in Romania - Bucharest. I have managed to use Chrome RequestMaker to change the timezone to "Europe/Bucharest" - now it tells the time correctly. However, I cannot modify/update the address :( 

I have tried to update the city, countrycode, - the first part you mentioned in your first post - however - when pushing Send - it always gives me 400 Bad Request. 

Is there any chance to change the location? 

What isn't working? What fails? Are you not able to use the Echo Dot at all?

Amazon is now only allowing addresses that are in "registered" countries.  For now that means UK, US and Germany.  If I try to use an Canadian address it fails.  The only thing that you can really change is the timezone if you are not in a "registered" country.  That seems to have been implemented just prior to Dot 2 release. 

I did that, read it and then re-read it to see if I was missing anything. But unfortunately I only managed to change the time zone to "Europe/Bucharest" - all other steps return 400 Bad Request. 

I am willing to give my address to anyone who has done it already - to check if he ca use my location to update his Amazon Echo - just to check if it lets them do that. 

I have found that Alexa only knows about a few major cities in Canada and nothing about provinces, so trying to hack in some other town is a waste of time anyway if Alexa has never heard of it.

I have noticed that all people having success are in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and that is on of the few listed cities in Canada.

I have found that Alexa only knows about a few major cities in Canada and nothing about provinces, so trying to hack in some other town is a waste of time anyway if Alexa has never heard of it.

I have noticed that all people having success are in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and that is on of the few listed cities in Canada.

I'm in British Columbia (not Vancouver) and it worked fine for me.

With American addresses the postal and address have to match.

When you ask Alexa for the weather what area does she report?

She reports correctly the area I am in but not the larger city name.

I am happy I got it working right away, and wondering if they have changed something since then?

Outlander - can you tell me where are you from? just as a FYI, as I am trying from Bucharest / Romania - and I cannot update it. It always gives me 400 Bad Request :(

I am in central British Columbia in Canada.  I used the instructions at the beginning and they worked fine for me, but maybe something has been changed since then?

UPDATE: As others have also stated, this no longer works.  Tried updating my new Dots and everything fails after setting the TimeZoneID in the first step.

In the Alexa Amazon app installed on my phone under Settings - Alexa - Device Software Version it states the firmware build - 4172 in my case.

So you just remembered what version was on it previously but there is no notification.

I thought maybe I had missed something

....again.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the information on this.  I did the first step and sent and got the 200 ok, but when I did the following steps I got 401.  Any ideas, I did exactly as you said:

Then, add the following to your request (keep the timeZoneId changed, each step builds on the last):

1. Set the city value to your city/suburb (e.g. Toronto)
2. Set countryCode (e.g. CA)
3. Set county (e.g. Toronto)
4. Set district (most likely — null)
5. Set houseNumber (e.g. 54)
6. Press “Send” to send those values

Then, once those have been sent, add changes to the following in the same way:
1. Set the first postalCode (e.g. M5K 6G4)
2. Set state (e.g. ON)
3. Set street (e.g. Grand Lake)
4. Press “Send” to send those values
Lastly:

1. Update the second postalCode (e.g. M5K 6G4)
2. Press “Send” to send that value.

Fred

Archived