Any H.A.M operators on here? Need Help

Teken

If there are any H.A.M operators or those who have a strong understanding about how to connect to a repeater I would appreciate some insight and feed back. Currently I am trying to connect to several repeating towers in my city / province.

None of the information that I have read thus far seems to be at all difficult to understand or do. Having said this the proof in the pudding is the shear fact I can not hear myself broadcast? I would normally ask this question in a RF forum but it seems lots of these forums have a very strict policy of forcing the user to wait for the moderator to *Release* a reply and post before it can be seen and replied to.

That is a real WTF and is taking a long time to receive the information I need.

Are you sure you have the correct frequencies for both channels?

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Yes, I believe I do because here is what I see and hear.

I have entered the TX & RX for the repeater into my hand held radio which is of course the reverse. I have entered the PL code of 127.3 for both encode / decode.

Normally repeaters only have a decode but for what ever reason in my city / province the towers are set up this way. I have tried all manner of combinations of TX / RX frequency and added and removed the PL encode / decode just for the sake of trying. When I press any of the hand helds I can see and hear the other hand held either sound out the click, morse code, etc.

Both hand helds show the RF strength as full strength . . .

Oddly I can in fact hear other people talking back and forth among-st themselves yet I can't do the very same?!?! Others have asked if the antenna in use is correct and yes it is because how would I ever be able to hear other people? As I said I can hear other people crystal clear but can not hear myself at all besides the beep / morse code.

If there are any H.A.M operators or those who have a strong understanding about how to connect to a repeater I would appreciate some insight and feed back. Currently I am trying to connect to several repeating towers in my city / province.

None of the information that I have read thus far seems to be at all difficult to understand or do. Having said this the proof in the pudding is the shear fact I can not hear myself broadcast? I would normally ask this question in a RF forum but it seems lots of these forums have a very strict policy of forcing the user to wait for the moderator to *Release* a reply and post before it can be seen and replied to.

That is a real WTF and is taking a long time to receive the information I need.

I'm not a H.A.M. operator but do have a pretty good understanding of repeaters. In addition to the transmit and receive frequencies you will need the frequency of the access tone. Do you have that information?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

O know of a few ways to do repeaters but for voice (real-time)

• All radios transmit on F1 and all radios receive on F2.
  • The repeater does Tx and Rx on the opposites.
  • Nobody can hear themselves without the repeater frequency conversion function
  • Nobody can hear each other without the repeater frequency conversion function

Wow, looks like Gary snagged a good one when vanity callsigns came along!

I'm ex-WB8DBN

Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do? Of course you cannot (or SHOULD not) transmit if you do not have an Amateur Radio license!

Without a transmitter, you cannot "connect" to a repeater. You can listen, though, on an FM scanner ("police radio") and no fancy codecs required (generally...) And you can tune-in on the popular scanner "apps", for example 5-0 Radio.

Repeaters all use split-frequency. You transmit to the repeater on one frequency, receive from the repeater on another. The two channels are typically at opposite ends of one of the VHF or UHF amateur bands.

I'm not a H.A.M. operator but do have a pretty good understanding of repeaters. In addition to the transmit and receive frequencies you will need the frequency of the access tone. Do you have that information?

Yes the PL tone is indicated as 127.3 for both encode and decode. I have left both empty, entered just the encode, both encode / decode, and decode only.

No joy . . .

Wow, looks like Gary snagged a good one when vanity callsigns came along!

I'm ex-WB8DBN

Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do? Of course you cannot (or SHOULD not) transmit if you do not have an Amateur Radio license!

Without a transmitter, you cannot "connect" to a repeater. You can listen, though, on an FM scanner ("police radio") and no fancy codecs required (generally...) And you can tune-in on the popular scanner "apps", for example 5-0 Radio.

Repeaters all use split-frequency. You transmit to the repeater on one frequency, receive from the repeater on another. The two channels are typically at opposite ends of one of the VHF or UHF amateur bands.

Yes one hand held is a dual band transceiver the other is a tri band transceiver. 

Either you are not transmitting or the receiver is ignoring you.

Put one of your radios on the repeater receive frequency and do a test transmit on the other radio.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

I know its transmitting because the other radio is receiving the broadcast. I simply can not hear my voice at all but do hear (either) PTT click or morse code. The radio's are all dual transmit, dual receive, dual standby also

Yes, I believe I do because here is what I see and hear.

I have entered the TX & RX for the repeater into my hand held radio which is of course the reverse. I have entered the PL code of 127.3 for both encode / decode.

Normally repeaters only have a decode but for what ever reason in my city / province the towers are set up this way. I have tried all manner of combinations of TX / RX frequency and added and removed the PL encode / decode just for the sake of trying. When I press any of the hand helds I can see and hear the other hand held either sound out the click, morse code, etc.

Both hand helds show the RF strength as full strength . . .

Oddly I can in fact hear other people talking back and forth among-st themselves yet I can't do the very same?!?! Others have asked if the antenna in use is correct and yes it is because how would I ever be able to hear other people? As I said I can hear other people crystal clear but can not hear myself at all besides the beep / morse code.

If you can hear other conversations you have the correct receive frequency programmed in your radios and the correct tone transmitted by the repeater. Could it be they are using different decode and encode tones in the repeater?

PL is not needed for receive. If you activate PL for receive, then the receiver will squelch the output for all signals received that do not have the PL tone. Just disable the receive PL for test. You will hear ALL signals that are on the channel, whether your desired repeater or not.

You will not hear yourself talk, as most transceivers (and certainly hand-held!) are not full-duplex. The repeater itself is full-duplex thanks to a VERY expensive (and LARGE) filter. You will hear yourself talk if you listen on another receiver. AND your transmitter doesn't overload your receiver.

What exactly is the handheld radio you are using? Make and model.

If you can hear other conversations you have the correct receive frequency programmed in your radios and the correct tone transmitted by the repeater. Could it be they are using different decode and encode tones in the repeater?

I was thinking that would be possible but that would defeat the whole purpose of others connecting. Since *Repeater Book* is supposed to be current and accurate information it wouldn't make sense for the people who operate the towers to offer incorrect information.

I also changed the step frequency from the standard 5K which the repeaters listed as being used. So used 2.5 all the way up to every option still no joy.

The repeater has apparently implemented an "unlicensed operator" filter.

Stop. Now. Before you have the CFTC at your door! ;)

But if you DO manage to transmit, YOU WILL THEN KNOW about the regulatory issue! 

You will learn that a "lid" is not something that you wear on your head. And you will learn what the Wouff Hong is for!

I am not sure the *Repeater Book indicates the PL code as 127.3 for both encode and decode. Which I am told is not very common and normally only a decode PL is used. Again, I tried all combinations of adding and removing the PL codes and no joy.

PL is not needed for receive. If you activate PL for receive, then the receiver will squelch the output for all signals received that do not have the PL tone. Just disable the receive PL for test. You will hear ALL signals that are on the channel, whether your desired repeater or not.

You will not hear yourself talk, as most transceivers (and certainly hand-held!) are not full-duplex. The repeater itself is full-duplex thanks to a VERY expensive (and LARGE) filter. You will hear yourself talk if you listen on another receiver. AND your transmitter doesn't overload your receiver.

What exactly is the handheld radio you are using? Make and model.

I have (2) transceiver it doesn't matter which one I use to send I simply can not hear my voice. I can see and hear the click, morse code, and the signal strength as maximum and full on both.

The new radio's are Wouxun KG-UV9D Plus and KG-UV8E which is a tri band transceiver. 

The repeater has apparently implemented an "unlicensed operator" filter.

Stop. Now. Before you have the CFTC at your door! ;)

But if you DO manage to transmit, YOU WILL THEN KNOW about the regulatory issue! 

You will learn that a "lid" is not something that you wear on your head. And you will learn what the Wouff Hong is for!

Can you elaborate a little more unless that was in jest?!?

I was thinking that would be possible but that would defeat the whole purpose of others connecting. Since *Repeater Book* is supposed to be current and accurate information it wouldn't make sense for the people who operate the towers to offer incorrect information.

I also changed the step frequency from the standard 5K which the repeaters listed as being used. So used 2.5 all the way up to every option still no joy.

That pretty much leaves the transmit channel frequency or the transmit tone frequency on your radios the culprit. My guess would be they changed the receive tone on the repeater.

Make and model would be helpful. But from context, sounds compatible.

But, seriously, you have to get a license. They've made it super-easy these days, at least in the U.S.

I had to pass morse code tests, and sit for technical tests at the FCC field office in Detroit. Believe me, you would know how to operate that equipment if you'd passed those tests! And repair it too. (OK, maybe if it used tubes and you could work on it with a Weller...)

That pretty much leaves the transmit channel frequency or the transmit tone frequency on your radios the culprit. My guess would be they changed the receive tone on the repeater.

Perhaps this could be the true. I've sent in a email to the local HAM society regarding this to confirm ANY repeater information. My plan was to go to the local meets but for what ever reason in my area they are like every 4 months?

Its not like my friends in the USA where they have weekly / monthly meets.

I figured joining a HAM group and getting first hand knowledge and feed back from some of the old HAM's would be ideal before I took my license.

Make and model would be helpful. But from context, sounds compatible.

But, seriously, you have to get a license. They've made it super-easy these days, at least in the U.S.

I had to pass morse code tests, and sit for technical tests at the FCC field office in Detroit. Believe me, you would know how to operate that equipment if you'd passed those tests! And repair it too. (OK, maybe if it used tubes and you could work on it with a Weller...)

Make and model was offered in post 15.

Can you elaborate a little more unless that was in jest?!?

Serious. You need to have a license. 

The first time you manage to make a transmission, you WILL hear what-for!

This is the Wouff Hong. You can use your imagination as to how it is used.

wouffhong1999.jpg

The radios look good to go. I looked them up. Amazing what you get for your money these days. Back in the day, hams were buying used Motorola "HT"s for close to $1000 used and then re-tuning them.

Not sure what you mean by "step frequency". I think you are misunderstanding something.

Repeaters typically transmit-receive at opposite ends of the same band, but sometimes now cross-band, as with cross-band full-duplex is possible.

I think the "clicking" you are hearing is just overloading of the receiver. Do you hear it regardless of what frequency you tune the receiver to? (Tune in the same band, at nearby but not-same frequencies.)

Here is an example of a repeater local to me:

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=06&ID=8771

Frequency: 144.5050+ plus Input Freq: 145.1050

For this repeater, you need to transmit on 145.1050. You receive on 144.5050. The transmit/receive frequencies are a full 1mHz apart.

I don't know what the + means. The website doesn't explain it. I suppose if I were currently-active this would be obvious to me!

If you transmit on one radio at 145.1050 you should hear a VERY LOUD you at 145.1050 on the other radio. And probably splattered several channels either side until you separate the radios. And you should hear yourself keying the repeater if you listen on 144.5050. (SEPARATE THE RADIOS!)

If you speak, then a few minutes later, you should hear animated conversation on the channel, all with southern drawls. It does not matter if you are in Manitoba, it will be with a southern drawl. They'll be saying things like "I got a fix on him, Charlie! Somewhere up in the industrial park. Can somebody give me a fix from the west side?" It's not that all hams have a southern drawl. Just the ones that go DFing intruders. ;)

This project is being undertaken to ensure I have fail over communications method for the team and family. 

You are set for a post-nuclear scenario! Given an EMP-protected repeater, and your portable kept in a Faraday Cage until needed.

Otherwise, you need a license!

I thought you were Canadian? If not, /CFTC/FCC/s

The current entry-level U.S. license is the Technician License. (There used to be a Novice License, which is what I started with.)  Simple 35-question test, and gives all privileges on all amateur bands > 30mHz and even some HF. The test is nothing like what the Technician license once was.

There is no longer a morse code requirement. This is good if you want to get an Extra license, as getting to 25WPM requires a lot of practice.

Not sure what you mean by "step frequency". I think you are misunderstanding something.

Repeaters typically transmit-receive at opposite ends of the same band, but sometimes now cross-band, as with cross-band full-duplex is possible.

I think the "clicking" you are hearing is just overloading of the receiver. Do you hear it regardless of what frequency you tune the receiver to? (Tune in the same band, at nearby but not-same frequencies.)

Here is an example of a repeater local to me:

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=06&ID=8771

Frequency: 144.5050+ plus Input Freq: 145.1050

For this repeater, you need to transmit on 145.1050. You receive on 144.5050. The transmit/receive frequencies are a full 1mHz apart.

I don't know what the + means. The website doesn't explain it. I suppose if I were currently-active this would be obvious to me!

The DIRECTION of the shift tells you if you are transmitting at a lower frequency than you receive (-) or higher frequency than you receive (+)

The *Step* is a filter from 2.5, 5.0, and upwards . . .

The click I mentioned is me applying my finger on the PTT button. When I press the PTT on the TX I will hear it on the RX its just a single click.

As noted sometimes when I conduct the test I will either hear the click or morse code tones. As I write this I can hear people talking crystal clear so I know receiving is fine. Why I can't hear myself on the RX transceiver I don't know this isn't rocket science so I have to gather one of the data points are missing or incorrectly published.

Archived