Any H.A.M operators on here? Need Help

Teken

Setting up a repeater isn't rocket science. Please don't make it sound like it is because it isn't.

The fact I can't connect has no correlations to setting one up and using one successfully. If you can't offer any insight as to why or suggest a solution please don't reply or participate in this thread.

Setting up a repeater is not that hard. Setting one up well so that it does not interfere with other users, and is reliable, can be difficult. Just because you can't hear other users on the bands you're using doesn't mean you're not stomping on them with your repeaters, especially if you're using a fair amount of power. This is why repeater frequencies are coordinated. This is also why you can't key up the repeater in Winnipeg that you're trying to hit. You have probably just enough power to key it up with tone, but your 5 or 10 watts is not enough to get the audio received by the repeater. Yet when you're keying it up, no one else can use it (and the other repeaters it's linked to). That is unwanted and unlawful interference.

While your free to say having a radio license enables / allows dozens of people jam up the air waves about daily life vs someone who is preparing to use it in emergency situations which I hope to be rare.

They are using the frequencies lawfully and for the assigned purpose, you are not. I'm not the only one saying it, the law is. And as I mentioned, if there is legitimate emergency traffic, they will have to cede the frequency to that traffic.

It's clear to me having set up my own repeater was the correct plan because I won't have to worry about others jamming up my channel with horse sh^t.

It's not your channel. The radio spectrum belongs to all Canadians, and is managed by Industry Canada because it is a very finite, valuable shared resource. There are reasons it's carefully regulated and planned. I'm not sure what makes you think you're so special that you can ignore the licensing requirements, band plans, etc just so you can have your own personal chat line. For all you know, the bands you're using might be reserved for emergency use in your region, and that's why you haven't heard any traffic on them. Should a real emergency arrive, you could be stomping on first responders who are trying to communicate during a disaster. If even a very small percentage of Canadians did what you do, the radio spectrum would become unusable. You may consider it horse sh^t, but they are acting within the bounds of the law, international treaty, etc and you are not.You could be fined up to $25,000 for a first offence, and while huge fines aren't typical, running two unlicensed repeaters is pretty egregious.

What you are doing is fine in a Mad Max movie. And even in today's real world, it will probably go unnoticed in the outback of Australia, and on any tundra, including that of our friends to the north. (OK, maybe not. Tundras tend to be sited with sensitive military technology...)

But it is bootleg radio, pure and simple. It's no more legal than those fake cell sites that some police departments in the U.S. have deployed... I DO recall in my ham days actual cases of the FCC tracking-down illegal transmissions, and taking administrative action and even bringing criminal cases resulting in jail time. Usually a warning, then a fine after the warning. Every such action is published, I'd guess the ARRL still re-publishes enforcement actions. Of course, these are usually for egregious actions.

But you should not take it upon your self to pass judgement that a frequency is "unused", particularly when your use is -ahem- extra-judicial.

I wondered about not seeing a type-acceptance in that product listing! Amazon sells products that are illegal to use in the markets they sell them in? I am shocked, shocked!

I dunno about Canada, but U.S. has a type-acceptance system for pretty-much all commercial equipment. But one of the privileges that hams DO enjoy is being able to build their own equipment. No approval required. Just follow the technical rules. 

Interestingly, I read a while back that in an emergency, hams are actually permitted to transmit on ANY frequency. It is something that has rarely if ever been done, and probably untested case law. And nobody is going to swat you for making an illegal transmission while drifting at sea on a lifeboat...

In an emergency, emergency traffic gets priority. And there are specific frequencies which then should ONLY be used for emergency traffic. This really is the "public service" that is the quid pro quo reason for the existence of ham radio in the first place. We get a pool of people trained in RF communication who can spring into action in an emergency. It's not a requirement, but an option. For the average ham, their only obligation in an emergency is to give precedence to emergency usage of frequencies.

Gary Funk operated a very special kind of quasi-ham station. MARS is the Military Amateur Radio Service. MARS has some small additional frequency allocations outside of the normal ham bands. A ham can also be a MARS operator, but a MARS operator is not necessarily a ham. MARS is meant to support health and welfare of military members and family or some-such. In days of yore, when phone calls were expensive (and I'd suppose even today in places where there ARE no phones) MARS stations have been used to pass-along personal messages between military personnel and their families. MARS is a U.S. thing.

Setting up a repeater is not that hard. Setting one up well so that it does not interfere with other users, and is reliable, can be difficult. Just because you can't hear other users on the bands you're using doesn't mean you're not stomping on them with your repeaters, especially if you're using a fair amount of power. This is why repeater frequencies are coordinated. This is also why you can't key up the repeater in Winnipeg that you're trying to hit. You have probably just enough power to key it up with tone, but your 5 or 10 watts is not enough to get the audio received by the repeater. Yet when you're keying it up, no one else can use it (and the other repeaters it's linked to). That is unwanted and unlawful interference.

They are using the frequencies lawfully and for the assigned purpose, you are not. I'm not the only one saying it, the law is. And as I mentioned, if there is legitimate emergency traffic, they will have to cede the frequency to that traffic.

It's not your channel. The radio spectrum belongs to all Canadians, and is managed by Industry Canada because it is a very finite, valuable shared resource. There are reasons it's carefully regulated and planned. I'm not sure what makes you think you're so special that you can ignore the licensing requirements, band plans, etc just so you can have your own personal chat line. For all you know, the bands you're using might be reserved for emergency use in your region, and that's why you haven't heard any traffic on them. Should a real emergency arrive, you could be stomping on first responders who are trying to communicate during a disaster. If even a very small percentage of Canadians did what you do, the radio spectrum would become unusable. You may consider it horse sh^t, but they are acting within the bounds of the law, international treaty, etc and you are not.You could be fined up to $25,000 for a first offence, and while huge fines aren't typical, running two unlicensed repeaters is pretty egregious.

Moments ago you stated it would be very difficult to erect a repeater because I wasn't able to connect to one . Now your affirming it's not hard at all and isn't rocket science.

Now your saying a frequency that is so far away from all known (listed) HAM or otherwise could be impacted?!?

Keeping in mind what I stated clearly above in using a completely different PL frequency code and out of band frequency not used by others.

As you noted the spectrum is separated and assigned for specific use. Explain to me how my repeater could impact others?!?

You can't and stating otherwise is a complete lie.

Since your taking my reply so literal most people would have understood when I stated MY CHANNEL to infer the use, validation, and segregation of a frequency not used by others. Unlike many who shoot from the hip and don't do any testing, validation, and long term compliance.

I don't fall in this category . . .

As I clearly indicates several times which you seem to be ignoring is unlike the so called licensed operators talking all day about random crap as if it's their own personal cell phone. That is not my intent at all but to bolster my range of operations if and when needed in an emergency.

Even if and when I get my license you will not hear me talking and wasting bandwidth like some of these people I hear all day!

Do I need to speak slower?!?

Unlike many I am proactive in all I do because I have 30 years of personal experience in disasters. Because of this anyone worth their salt will have preps in place and be ready in as many ways possible.

I don't need a lesson on laws or morals thank you!

The fact you truly believe I or anyone on my team or family could impact anything on the air waves is complete none sense.

The majority of Canadians are too stupid to even have three days worth of food and water. Never mind taking the time to buy a transceiver. If you believe taking the time to set up a repeater is also something the average person would do.

I have some prime swamp land for sale.

Back on topic: I have sent a email to the tower operators to confirm what is on the repeater book. As some have indicated to me specific towers may be using a different PL code for TX and the website is not accurate in its information.

Moments ago you stated it would be very difficult to erect a repeater because I wasn't able to connect to one . Now your affirming it's not hard at all and isn't rocket science.

Now your saying a frequency that is so far away from all known (listed) HAM or otherwise could be impacted?!?

Keeping in mind what I stated clearly above in using a completely different PL frequency code and out of band frequency not used by others.

As you noted the spectrum is separated and assigned for specific use. Explain to me how my repeater could impact others?!?

It is difficult to get a properly working repeater that doesn't interfere with others. Any idiot can plug in a few cables and turn on a power switch. That's why Industry Canada requires a Advanced Qualification and repeaters to be assigned their own call sign in order to operate. The fact that you are operating away from other ham repeaters does not mean your repeater is not stomping on simplex operation that you can't hear, or reserved bands. You'd have to consult the Band Plan for your area. But then if you were a licenced ham, you'd know that.

Example: Let's assume, for the sake of argument, your repeater is transmitting at 20 watts. There are bunch of users within transmit range of your repeater operating at 5 watts. Your repeater can't hear them (the same problem you're having with VE4VJ), but when you key up your repeater (which you are in range of to transmit), you stomp all of their frequency without realizing it. Again, if you were a licenced ham, you'd know that.

PL tone doesn't prevent you from stomping on someone's frequency. It's still the same frequency, it just means an inaudible tone is transmitted when you key up to activate the repeater. Users using different PL tones on the same frequency can't still cant use channel at the same time, it just means they won't hear each other (if they're using it as squelch tone as well). That's why PL tones are also coordinated within an area.

So I've clearly explained how your repeater can impact others. In fact, repeaters are the most likely of all uses to cause harmful interference. You're far less likely to cause issues with a 5W handheld than you are with an automated repeater which no one is monitoring.

Since your taking my reply so literal most people would have understood when I stated MY CHANNEL to infer the use, validation, and segregation of a frequency not used by others. Unlike many who shoot from the hip and don't do any testing, validation, and long term compliance.

I don't fall in this category . . .

As I clearly indicates several times which you seem to be ignoring is unlike the so called licensed operators talking all day about random crap as if it's their own personal cell phone. That is not my intent at all but to bolster my range of operations if and when needed in an emergency.

Even if and when I get my license you will not hear me talking and wasting bandwidth like some of these people I hear all day!

Do I need to speak slower?!?

Unlike many I am proactive in all I do because I have 30 years of personal experience in disasters. Because of this anyone worth their salt will have preps in place and be ready in as many ways possible.

I don't need a lesson on laws or morals thank you!

The fact you truly believe I or anyone on my team or family could impact anything on the air waves is complete none sense.

The channel IS used by others. Licenced amateur radio operators, who have taken the time to learn the technical and regulatory requirements for operating on amateur radio bands. Just because hams chat (which they are entitled and encouraged to do) does not mean they are "wasting bandwidth". Hams are encouraged to be active for a number of reasons:

- To preserve the allocations of amateur frequencies for the user of all amateur radio operators

- To test and advance ham technologies and procedures

- To provide emergency preparedness

I'm not accusing you of intentionally trying to interfere with other hams (other than the egregious unlicenced use), but interference can and does happen, even from experienced hams, let alone unlicensed users.

As to the laws, I can try to educate, and what you're doing is clearly illegal, and I've laidd out some of the penalties for you. As to whether it's morally correct to steal a resource that others have worked hard to acquire and preserve through decades of dedication and perseverance; I leave that to you.

Back on topic: I have sent a email to the tower operators to confirm what is on the repeater book. As some have indicated to me specific towers may be using a different PL code for TX and the website is not accurate in its information.

If you had bothered to follow the link in RepeaterBook to the actual website of the Manitoba Repeater Society, you'll see the info is correct:

http://mb-repeater-society.ca/?page_id=22

If you want to use a legitimate method of communicating with your family, I suggest General Radio Service (CB) or Family Radio Service. If you must have repeaters, I suggest you acquire a commercial licence (they're not expensive), and you can put up repeaters without potential interference to other users.

If you're seriously interested in legitimately operating in the ham bands, I suggest you get a licence, and since you seem to be so interested in emergency preparedness, volunteer with your local ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) chapter.

Just to clarify, what GaryFunk did was operate K2USA (U2 US ARMY) out of Ft Monmouth, New Jersey. We had the single most powerful HAM radio station in the US. Also the best equipped station in the US. We had 7 studios and an antenna farm that put all others to shame.

I used the station to personally talk to my father (K5DIV) in Oklahoma and NO ONE ever stepped on me, though some tried.

But that's all besides the point.

Also beside the point is the legality of wht Teken is doing. He ask for assistance. Helping him overcome an issue is the point. For all we know he is working at the feet of a licensed operator.

Let's try to stick to the technical question and not be policemen.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

It used to be the ARRL had an intro book called "This is Ham Radio" or some-such. I can't find it now (or don't remember the title) but ARRL seems now to recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Ham-Radio-Dummies-Ward-Silver/dp/1118592115/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473393141&sr=1-3&keywords=amateur+radio

Please start there.

The basic issues of law an licensing we are discussing are the very first basics that are taught! Every ham knows these rules inside and out.

It's unfortunate that you weren't able to find a local user group to attend. You might want to see if there are "swap and shops" in your area. (A flea market for ham gear). You will find a bevy of hams eager to give you all the information you need.

It's also unfortunate you weren't successful in getting your voice heard on the repeater. The other operators would have set you straight pronto!

I can confirm what Giesen said about PL tones. It is just a low-frequency tone sent along with the voice signal that will not be heard. If you set your receiver to pay attention to the PL tone, it will not turn on the speaker unless the right tone is heard. Your transmissions most definitely will interfere with others. It is the same as with a olde-fashioned "party line" telephone, where you knew to pick up if you got, say, three quick rings. It was uncool to pick up if it was for Farmer John down the road! But if you did get Farmer John's TWO quick rings, that doesn't mean you can use the phone to make a call. It won't work, because Farmer John is on the line (Though you might pick up some juicy gossip about Farmer John and Miss Sarah, if you do pick up and are quiet enough...)

This is basic, basic stuff, particularly the law. You are being stubborn as a mule, and you are WRONG.

Licensing is specifically to insure that hams understand the law and the reasons for it. A little education about propagation, signal transmission, antennas, etc. would make the reasons for the laws more apparent.

BTW, it is "ham", not HAM or H.A.M. It is not an acronym. The term is from the early days of radio, and refers to a "poor operator", one who follows bad practices. The professionals (typically marine radio operators) labelled the amateurs "hams". It is a self-deprecating badge they now wear with pride.

Many exciting things happening with radio, and in the future much of the regulations we have today will be unnecessary! But it will be a long and difficult road getting radio systems all moved from silly things like channels and frequency allocations to systems based on spread spectrum and statistical sampling methods. Technologies like Bluetooth and Wifi have moved us a bit along that road.

For now, we have to live with fixed-frequency allocations to keep things from getting chaotic.

Let's try to stick to the technical question and not be policemen.

Or board policemen?

We would be remiss NOT to point out the legal issues. It's clear that Teken simply did not know any better. Way back many posts, there was a moment of genuine surprise. He thought he could just jump in and talk to the hams. 

You CAN but you MAY not!

And had he been able to sort the technical issues, he would have learned what he has now learned here rather quickly! Like 5 minutes quickly! Some angry hams on the repeater, and then hopefully some helpful "Elmer" who would suggest a PHONE CALL where he could explain some things!

I don't think anybody here has withheld trying to help with the technical issues. I have made several suggestions, as have others. Nothing wrong with pursuit of technical knowledge which may not be legally implemented.

It is difficult to get a properly working repeater that doesn't interfere with others. Any idiot can plug in a few cables and turn on a power switch. That's why Industry Canada requires a Advanced Qualification and repeaters to be assigned their own call sign in order to operate. The fact that you are operating away from other ham repeaters does not mean your repeater is not stomping on simplex operation that you can't hear, or reserved bands. You'd have to consult the Band Plan for your area. But then if you were a licenced ham, you'd know that.

Example: Let's assume, for the sake of argument, your repeater is transmitting at 20 watts. There are bunch of users within transmit range of your repeater operating at 5 watts. Your repeater can't hear them (the same problem you're having with VE4VJ), but when you key up your repeater (which you are in range of to transmit), you stomp all of their frequency without realizing it. Again, if you were a licenced ham, you'd know that.

PL tone doesn't prevent you from stomping on someone's frequency. It's still the same frequency, it just means an inaudible tone is transmitted when you key up to activate the repeater. Users using different PL tones on the same frequency can't still cant use channel at the same time, it just means they won't hear each other (if they're using it as squelch tone as well). That's why PL tones are also coordinated within an area.

So I've clearly explained how your repeater can impact others. In fact, repeaters are the most likely of all uses to cause harmful interference. You're far less likely to cause issues with a 5W handheld than you are with an automated repeater which no one is monitoring.

The channel IS used by others. Licenced amateur radio operators, who have taken the time to learn the technical and regulatory requirements for operating on amateur radio bands. Just because hams chat (which they are entitled and encouraged to do) does not mean they are "wasting bandwidth". Hams are encouraged to be active for a number of reasons:

- To preserve the allocations of amateur frequencies for the user of all amateur radio operators

- To test and advance ham technologies and procedures

- To provide emergency preparedness

I'm not accusing you of intentionally trying to interfere with other hams (other than the egregious unlicenced use), but interference can and does happen, even from experienced hams, let alone unlicensed users.

As to the laws, I can try to educate, and what you're doing is clearly illegal, and I've laidd out some of the penalties for you. As to whether it's morally correct to steal a resource that others have worked hard to acquire and preserve through decades of dedication and perseverance; I leave that to you.

If you had bothered to follow the link in RepeaterBook to the actual website of the Manitoba Repeater Society, you'll see the info is correct:

http://mb-repeater-society.ca/?page_id=22

If you want to use a legitimate method of communicating with your family, I suggest General Radio Service (CB) or Family Radio Service. If you must have repeaters, I suggest you acquire a commercial licence (they're not expensive), and you can put up repeaters without potential interference to other users.

If you're seriously interested in legitimately operating in the ham bands, I suggest you get a licence, and since you seem to be so interested in emergency preparedness, volunteer with your local ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) chapter.

I don't think I can be any clearer here but lets try again one more time. I am trying to connect to several known repeaters which can extend my operational range in the bush. At the very moment I have not been successful in receiving my audible transmission.

This means I am not TXing at all because the test failed.

Is this clear?

I have full intent on taking my radio license but right now having one doesn't help me at all or offer a lick of good.

Does it?!?!? 

We can go in circles about why XX person is allowed to talk on a frequency even though they are just wasting bandwidth. Whereas I only intend to use the repeaters when disasters strike or when needed in an emergency. At the moment I haven't needed to rely on anyone else because my transmission range has been fine.

If I am unable to connect to what ever repeater(s) I will just stand up a few more to ensure proper coverage.

The odds my repeater is possibly stomping on others is highly unlikely given what I just stated up above.  

Unlike others which you believe I fall under the same category - both of these repeaters were set up to ensure a reliable method of communicators. These repeaters have been tested and validated to operate with in their service range and tested on a monthly basis to ensure they actually operate and perform as designed.

You can count on one hand how many people do this . . .

They are not *Live* 24.7.365 at all but sit idle until their monthly checks which are automated by me. Their sole purpose in life is two prong which is to allow me, team, and family a guaranteed method to communicate when needed. But its primary use case is to monitor radio traffic to gather intelligence.

In a time of disaster or civil war anyone hoping the police, fire, ems, government will be there to help you is dreaming. This has been proven time and time again in history. Anyone can look up what happen in Hurricane Katrina and what a complete cluster f^ck that was.

I know because I was there . . .

When Tornadoes swept in to Texas on 06, 04, 2014 it sucked up everything in its path.

Nobody has to tell me how the Government will react or not.

If someone truly believes I'm some *Red Neck* in the back woods trying to hurt the system they don't know me. If my intent was to blow away everyone and saturate the entire air waves I could. Not a soul could stop me or figure out why RF comms were down because people in this hick town aren't that smart and don't have the technology to do so.

Am I being clear?

With respect to participating with other groups once again its clear to me you didn't take the time to read my replie(s). No less than four people asked me for information which was provided. If people can't take the time to read, understand, and comprehend the question and answers.

I fear its not worth communicating at all because its the famous analogy of *You hear me - but you aren't listening*

Going on a quick tangent; Lets see if anyone is following and tracking what I am saying. Do you know how many people in this forum or any where else in the free world do the following on a consistent and monthly basis which has been repeated and documented for years.

Not days, weeks, months, but years!

1. Smoke Detector: Test, Inspect, Replace, Validate, Document.

2. AFCI / GFCI: Test, Inspect, Replace, Validate, Document.

3. GDO: Adjust, Test, Inspect, Replace, Validate, Document.

4. Sump: Test, Inspect, Validate, Document.

There isn't a soul on this board or other that does one of these tasks - never mind all four! What does this have to do with connecting to a repeater?!?!

How many people have you read about asking and doing the same this month in a HA forum?

None . . .

How many people have you actually known to buy a transceiver and erect a repeater to ensure a method of communications?

None . . .

There isn't one person in this forum that has six months worth of food, water and the capacity to operate in a grid down event and not rely on others when disasters strike.

What is that number here, none . . .

As I clearly noted having lived through more natural disasters than any human being should from wild fire, tornado, hurricane, earth quake, blizzards, to massive floods. I take my life in my own hands and don't rely on others because ultimately I am responsible for my team and family.

I knew when this thread was created push back and the endless circle talk would ensue. It doesn't really bother me because I've read this countless times on many HAM forums. Reading some of the replies from the RF members at times is quite comical because its like when I had to listen to all the Apple fan boys.

Apples don't crash, Apples don't have XX issues, Apples don't get virus's, Apples are so easy to use and operate.

Really?!?!

Why then am I here trying to help you on your Apple computer?!?!

Bottom line, I'm sure when I receive the reply from the tower operator its going to be the PL code is different on TX or the shift frequency isn't +5. 

I have been listening for more than 25 years on the various air waves from CB, Air, SSB, Marine, etc.

Why is this relevant because?

It seems that just because someone has a license they truly believe they are above the common man. They believe having a license allows them to talk endlessly about whats for dinner, don't use too much starch, why is the dog sh^ting on the carpet!

None of this is my intent because I have more common sense and etiquette than the people who have a radio license and just want to waste bandwidth! The odds I find what some people call a Elmer in my neck of the woods is probably remote.

<This is more than 1000 words>

LOL . . .

In a time ... civil war anyone hoping the police, fire, ems, government will be there to help you is dreaming

You are nowhere NEAR Quebec!

Oh, wait... did Bundy move to Manitoba?

Maybe that nasty Michigan-Ohio squabble over Toledo will re-ignite and consume S. Ontario too?

I think we fixed a LOT of things after Katrina. Some of those have been radio-related! (Now we have a plan for different agencies to be able talk to each other!)

Canadians got it made, too - because the U.S. will just swoop in if they can't handle it themselves and send over snow plows from Buffalo. (I don't think Canada rates very high on the "frequent natural disasters scale, but educate me.)

You are nowhere NEAR Quebec!

Oh, wait... did Bundy move to Manitoba?

Maybe that nasty Michigan-Ohio squabble over Toledo will re-ignite and consume S. Ontario too?

I think we fixed a LOT of things after Katrina. Some of those have been radio-related! (Now we have a plan for different agencies to be able talk to each other!)

Canadians got it made, too - because the U.S. will just swoop in if they can't handle it themselves and send over snow plows from Buffalo. (I don't think Canada rates very high on the "frequent natural disasters scale, but educate me.)

LOL . . .

Wild Fire, Tornado, Floods, Blizzards . . .

There is no Earth Quakes in the Canadian Shield (NWT) or Nunavut.

Im going to go off topic but I do have six months of food, water, fuel, financial means, etc for six months and I do 1-3 twice a year (time changes) - I don't have a sump so 4 is N/A. I do need to do better in some areas of my SHTF preps though, but this is an area they can always grow or be better.

Remember you said in another thread most here are high intelligence, so you might want to calm down on the generalizations

FWIW I am also an Apple user but not an iSheep.

Im going to go off topic but I do have six months of food, water, fuel, financial means, etc for six months and I do 1-3 twice a year (time changes) - I don't have a sump so 4 is N/A. I do need to do better in some areas of my SHTF preps though, but this is an area they can always grow or be better.

Remember you said in another thread most here are high intelligence, so you might want to calm down on the generalizations

FWIW I am also an Apple user but not an iSheep.

LOL . . .

Way to go off topic you!

I don't take any of the information offered by the other members in a negative way. I fully understand and realize why being licensed and following the rules are important. If people didn't the world would be a complete mess as it would be like the wild wild west.

I don't fall in that category at all and have more common sense than many of the operators I listen to every day. One of the most basic elements of communications is listening. You don't just get up and start blasting off with out sitting there and really listening for an extended period of time.

If you hear someone the proper etiquette is to let them finish their comms. Breaking in after indicating your call sign and indicating the message then closing out.

During any emergency information is critical and that ends up being 90% of the time - listening. 

I watch people everyday completely lose their minds when the street lights go offline instead of what?? Following what drivers ed taught us all to treat it like a 4 way stop sign. Yet people completely forget and ignore basic road sense! When Katrina wiped out most of the lower half quadrant what do you think all of these good citizens and the Government did??

Everyone lost their freaking minds and there was no order - just chaos!

I've been to many States / Provinces in my time and every time there was a disaster these so called trained professionals were hopeless.

I refuse to let others control my fate or to rely on others for survival because no one will be around when something major happens. Lots of folks live in this cute little bubble and can see as far as their nose and believe life is a bowl of cherries because they go through life with out a second thought.

I can tell you with 100% certainty those that live in Tornado Alley all have a weather radio. They conduct weekly / monthly radio checks to ensure everyone knows what the hell is going on. If I asked anyone in this hick town if they had a dedicated weather radio their eyes would glaze right over into their heads.

Because they wouldn't have a freaking clue what it is never mind what NOAA, EAS, Public Alert meant. When Toronto called out the military to to help with a snow storm way back in the day. What do you think the rest of Canada thought about people who live in Ontario?!?!

Being prepared is second nature to me like breathing - I don't fixate on prepping its simply a way of life like my grand parents did back in the day. They canned, smoked, pickled, foods to ensure lean years vs good years the family would be fine. They made sure anything that had to do with heating was present and available.

Human's don't normally last very long in -40'C before the windchill. 

Radio Comm's are simply the next evolution of my preps which need to be updated to ensure a measure of fail over. Because those who truly believe cell / phones will operate like it did so well during 9/11.

I was there too . . .

Didn't . . .

I've seen the best and worst of people and the human species and in my time its readily apparent when *War War Z* happens people will lose their sh^t and everyone will be looking out for number one with disregard to their fellow man. Because of this I train, prepare, and try to learn each day new skills and apply them.

There isn't very many people I know who have actively participated in winter / desert survival training. Basic survival and bush craft along with one good working brain that is able to identify threats and be decisive is not only a learnt trait but innate. 

Since this thread is essentially about communications I am sure there are a few good folks who are avid HAM's, etc. But that only goes so far and what are people going to do to communicate or signal others with out electricity?

How many people have lasers, flares, strobes, flash lights, smoke grenades for the soul purpose of signalling, location marking, and hazard alerts?

As you're more than aware I am a firm believer in the power of 3.

Meaning I have at the minimum of 3 methods to do any one task. It doesn't matter if its a way to make fire I have 15 ways to do that. Purify water not a problem 10 ways to do that too.

Have a boo boo, scrape, bullet?

No problem because I have my combat medic certification . . . I have various first aid kits which surpass any business mandated kit which cover combat bandages, to tools of the trade.

Just died and no heart beat? No problem let me break out the defibrillator and give you a jolt. 

The grid is down and need power?

No problem I have five ways to produce and sustain power in my home for more 30 days on battery and but can live off of solar forever and rotate NG when needed. Back in the day you could really count on your fellow man. Today not so much and everyone will be more than happy to step on you when the time comes.

Anyone who truly believes Canadian's are so polite and docile need only spend time in the Canadian Shield when disaster hits!

All your going to see is a bunch of lunatics running around like they did in the Boston Marathon.

I wasn't there but my cousin was and it wasn't pretty!

I'd like to know more about these personal repeaters you have. Where did you get them and what was the cost?

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Sorry, can't share that kind of information in the public forums for obvious reasons. What I can share is the cost to erect the primary 150' tall tower cost the team more than $5K.

This covered transport, setup, and guide wires . . .

The tower was used and came from a old radio station from another town that was decommissioned.  

Sorry, can't share that kind of information in the public forums for obvious reasons. What I can share is the cost to erect the primary 150' tall tower cost the team more than $5K.

This covered transport, setup, and guide wires . . .

The tower was used and came from a old radio station from another town that was decommissioned.

The tallest tower I built came in at just under 100 feet. Surprisingly enough it only took me a day to assemble. It took me two days to dig the 5 cubic foot hole.

I also waited a week for the 125 cubic feet of concrete to cure. Installing the first three sections of Rhon 25G was easy. Then I had to climb up and pull each section up and hope for no wind.

I remember my Dad coming home that night and wondering who helped put the tower up. I miss those days. It was fun building things. I even remember the ARC Command Set radios that were pulled from military aircraft in the 50's and 60's. The garage was full of those.

Now we everything on a chip. Sad in some ways.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

I put up a 70' tower in high school. It was not as nice as a Rohn, it was steel, not aluminum, and straight, not tapered. My friend George got a nice tilt-over Rohn and a cement truck. I got a used steel tower and a bag of ready-mix! Due to the latter, I had to anchor it just under the roof of the two-story house, along with the guy wires. Pretty sure I got the tower for free.

I got a deal on a used Telerex tribander, and had to replace the damaged traps.

It came down in a snowstorm when was away at college. Nobody and nothing hurt, whew!

I borrowed a climbing belt, and somebody machined a rotor mount for me (as it was an oddball, no-name tower).

Of course the tribander (and other antennas) had to be hauled up on a gin poll. George just needed help tilting the tower!

I had a Ringo Ranger on top, a Trik Stik, and a trap slope dipole into the tree in the front. And a ground plane of wires that are probably cursed to this day whenever somebody mows the lawn.

I got into "alt modes" early on! I had two TTYs, some weird German model that I never got to work, and beast of all beasts, Model 15. Not exactly this one:

but the bigger model with paper tape and wide heavy steel base.

There were TTY jokes/memes.

"Boys and girls may kiss and kiss, but boys and girls must never do this!" (platen moves repeatedly up and down)

When I built the Schelbi Mark-8 wirewrap 8008 kit (a derivative of the Popular Electronics version), I wrote a little monitor that worked with the TTY. Lots of people had ASR33s (ASCII) connected to these early personal computer kits. Bet I had one of the few connected to a Model 15! (baudot/5-bit)

I had an National NCX-5 transceiver with the cool "digital" display (I lusted after an HRO-500) and a Hammarlund SP-600 for SWLing.

Did ANYBODY ever get one of those ARC units to do anything use (or at all?). I think they needed a 400Hz power supply, something you just don't have laying around the house! Bet you got it from Fair Radio Sales. "man in the moon" LOL

I was an SWL first, and sent off for QSL cards. George's mom wouldn't let him send off to Radio Peking, because they sent you not only a QSL card, but put you on a list for a subscription to China Pictorial (one of the most beautiful glossy magazines ever produced - full bleed, extra-large format, bigger than Life, beautiful pictures of bounteous farms and tractors) and a Little Red Book. She was sure that if you had a Little Red Book you would be put on a "list". 

I put up a 70' tower in high school. It was not as nice as a Rohn, it was steel, not aluminum, and straight, not tapered. My friend George got a nice tilt-over Rohn and a cement truck. I got a used steel tower and a bag of ready-mix! Due to the latter, I had to anchor it just under the roof of the two-story house, along with the guy wires. Pretty sure I got the tower for free.

I got a deal on a used Telerex tribander, and had to replace the damaged traps.

It came down in a snowstorm when was away at college. Nobody and nothing hurt, whew!

I borrowed a climbing belt, and somebody machined a rotor mount for me (as it was an oddball, no-name tower).

Of course the tribander (and other antennas) had to be hauled up on a gin poll. George just needed help tilting the tower!

I had a Ringo Ranger on top, a Trik Stik, and a trap slope dipole into the tree in the front. And a ground plane of wires that are probably cursed to this day whenever somebody mows the lawn.

I got into "alt modes" early on! I had two TTYs, some weird German model that I never got to work, and beast of all beasts, Model 15. Not exactly this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWa6u5_Itvs

but the bigger model with paper tape and wide heavy steel base.

There were TTY jokes/memes.

"Boys and girls may kiss and kiss, but boys and girls must never do this!" (platen moves repeatedly up and down)

When I built the Schelbi Mark-8 wirewrap 8008 kit (a derivative of the Popular Electronics version), I wrote a little monitor that worked with the TTY. Lots of people had ASR33s (ASCII) connected to these early personal computer kits. Bet I had one of the few connected to a Model 15! (baudot/5-bit)

I had an National NCX-5 transceiver with the cool "digital" display (I lusted after an HRO-500) and a Hammarlund SP-600 for SWLing.

Did ANYBODY ever get one of those ARC units to do anything use (or at all?). I think they needed a 400Hz power supply, something you just don't have laying around the house! Bet you got it from Fair Radio Sales. "man in the moon" LOL

I was an SWL first, and sent off for QSL cards. George's mom wouldn't let him send off to Radio Peking, because they sent you not only a QSL card, but put you on a list for a subscription to China Pictorial (one of the most beautiful glossy magazines ever produced - full bleed, extra-large format, bigger than Life, beautiful pictures of bounteous farms and tractors) and a Little Red Book. She was sure that if you had a Little Red Book you would be put on a "list".

Ahhhh the old 110 baud. Or was it 75 baud baudot code? hey I got a computer that I could write a serial interface on a parallel port bit...ohhhh I already did! LMFAO

My first modem was a pair of earmuffs off one of those clackers, and played text golf on the big Honeywell computer back in the 70s over it at 300 baud. What a dream!

I should get rid of my climbing belts before I hurt myself with something higher than the Fire Department rescue ladders will reach! :)

Ahhhh the old 110 baud. Or was it 75 baud baudot code?

45.45 baud, which ATT called "65 speed", for 65 characters/minute

There was a faster "75 speed", not commonly used. Not sure what applications it was typical for. News was 65 speed. You needed a different machine, think some (not popular) models did both, and may have been conversion kits. It's electro-mechanical, so imagine the complications...

There are upshift and downshift characters (FIGS LTRS) it is not a toggle to be more error-resistant. There is no lower case. FIGS gets you numbers and symbols.

When FSK modulated and listened-to with a BFO, you could easily detect NULLs (sent when idling) and RYRYs (a common test message) by ear. So you could listen in the background, and know when something real comes in and glance at the teleprinter.

I got a computer that I could write a serial interface on a parallel port bit...ohhhh I already did

Actually, yes, that's how I did it - "bit banging" one bit of a parallel port. Timing loops, carefully-counted processor cycles.

I have to admit, I was part of a group that did something illegal over ham radio. We "invented" a language, called "Quigewa" ("quig-e-wah") That's talking in code, and that's illegal! Well, sort of code. You see, if you speak Quigewa on a single sideband transmitter, and listen on the wrong sideband (e.g. transmit on USB, listen on LSB, or vice-versa), it is automatically "decoded". It's frequency-inverted speech.

- (ex) Quigawa boo opp doo boo un

I never really thought about why many of the words have the same first letter both ways. I'm guessing is is because those puffs of air are mid-band, and don't sound that much different rightside up or upside down. We just listened and experimented until it was "good enough" using the language sounds that we were familiar with.

Could it simply be that your handheld doesn't have enough power to reach the repeater/tower but the repeater/tower has enough power to reach you?

That's very possible, right now the next test will be to hook up the HT to an external antenna. 

There is truth to the fact that we would talk endlessly on 20,15 and 10 meters to hams in other countries.  And, yes, I remember having QSO's (conversations) with people I didn't know and never spoke to again.  It was as if I dialed a wrong number and spoke with that person for hours.  It was fun and also a challenge to be able to raise a contact in a far away land.  At first it was CW (code), then AM and then SSB.  I "earned" the Novice license in 1959, followed by the Technician and General classes within a year or so.  Never made it to the Advanced or Extra Class.

We built transmitters and receivers from scratch and from kits (Heath).  All of this taught us quite a bit about electronics and the airwaves.  It certainly taught us respect for high voltages and the consequent loud noises, smoke and jolts.

But, we actually performed a service in times of need.  I remember handling phone patches for those in countries that had suffered earthquakes and other horrors and were attempting to reach home to let the family know that they were okay-or a loved one was not.  Flood, hurricanes, etc...  We did need open frequencies with no QRM (other interfering communications) to do all of this.

All of this seems very quaint now in the world of cellphones, texting and emails.

Teken is using this to amplify and distribute his telekenesis thought waves, and doesn't want to release too many details.

This is illegal in all countries, except Russia, that developed the technology using IIRC 438MHz repeaters, set up on a regular spacing grid, depending on the population density to be controlled, mentally.

Teken is using this to amplify and distribute his telekenesis thought waves, and doesn't want to release too many details.

This is illegal in all countries, except Russia, that developed the technology using IIRC 438MHz repeaters, set up on a regular spacing grid, depending on the population density to be controlled, mentally.

LOL, I have no words . . .

On a more serious note scaling 1256 feet on a communication tower isn't for the light hearted. The three things our lead taught us was eat and go to the bathroom. Make sure all of the tools and replacement parts were present and accounted for. Verify all safety gear was in place and life strap was always engaged.

The rest was enjoy the climb and don't ever stair at passing clouds and never look down.

Here on Long Island there are so many repeaters I am not sure we know exactly how many.  There are Ham Analog, Ham Digital, VHF, UHF, GMRS, and Commercial repeaters (not counting Public Safety and Govt repeaters).  Many are linked and/or have access from apps such Echolink or Zello etc.

It is very easy to buy used repeaters on ebay etc.  Some sellers will program them for you etc as long as you have a valid lic for the freq you are requesting.  I personally have a used Uniden GMRS repeater that I picked up for $350.  It could be retuned for Ham freq if I wanted.   Antenna height and location are very critical but it sounds like you have a reasonable height on your tower. 

If you key your HT and you hear the repeater ID then its hearing you.  As far as passing your audio I honestly cant come up with anything new to try.

If you have a "club" or a non profit organization maybe you can get a commercial lic for the group and not have to have individuals get ham lic.

Archived