New Dot

Paulk8

I wonder if the forthcoming software update will now allow multiple echo devices on a single Amazon account to work with the SmartHome V2 and one ISY portal account? I already have two Amazon and ISY Portal accounts for my two Echo devices if I want to get a third now I need three accounts for each!

Argh! First world problems!

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have two first gen DOTs unopened in boxes.  Had not seen the $10 discount but glad to hear there is something.  I bought them first day before the reviews came out stating that there was noise/popping on the audio out, which defeats the purpose of having an input to a high end stereo.  Do the new DOTs fix that, I wonder?

I still have two first gen DOTs unopened in boxes.  Had not seen the $10 discount but glad to hear there is something.  I bought them first day before the reviews came out stating that there was noise/popping on the audio out, which defeats the purpose of having an input to a high end stereo.  Do the new DOTs fix that, I wonder?

I read that too and this is why I am eager to see reviews and feed back from others. Was the noise and pop consistent or did it come and go?

What I meant is, up til now, Dot needed Echo, right? Or maybe it was just that you could only ORDER Dot through Echo? So, you could use a Dot without Echo, but you would have to find a friend with Echo to order one for you?

Can Tap be used for things other than ordering more Tide or crackers?

No, you can use any of the three devices to speak to Alexa and do what ever you want. You are correct in the past you needed to have an existing Echo or website to order the Dot during the soft launch.

I wouldn't expect high-quality wireless audio for $49.

If you want to play music, play it through an AV system, with wired or wireless zone and proper audiophile golden-ears hardware. Don't forget the alkaline oxygenated cables. ;)

Your ISY can command your sound system.

I read that too and this is why I am eager to see reviews and feed back from others. Was the noise and pop consistent or did it come and go?

I have had the Echo Dot connected to both computer speakers and now to an old stereo AVR and over the course of approximately four months I have not noticed any audio issues, but I guess I could've missed it.

The benefit for me for the Dot is having the ability to insert web content which is not possible from other hardware solutions which only do one thing. I've been around lots of the so called *Golden Ears* in my travels and when presented with a A-B comparator everyone has always failed to distinguish more reasonable interconnects.

I won't go so far as using lamp cord which so many news prints always speak of because at specific (tone) frequencies they can be distinguished. Given 99% of the population doesn't listen to tones its a moot point.  

You can also use the Roger app and use your phone instead of the Echo.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Oh, great. A walkie-talkie app that you can control your lights with.

Nothing worse than the IT guy standing outside your cubicle shouting into an iPhone pretending the Blackberry is back!

I have had the Echo Dot connected to both computer speakers and now to an old stereo AVR and over the course of approximately four months I have not noticed any audio issues, but I guess I could've missed it.

I believe based on the (few) reports this was really a variability in Q/A and as time went on this was corrected. My hopes are to integrate some really old school A/V gear with new school technology like the Dot.

My DBX, Bryston, Nakamichi, Sony ES, Onkyo Integra, Pioneer Elite, etc have been sitting idle for years all neglected LOL. 

The thing I am most excited about is the software update to do a better job of selecting the echo nearest the user!! I already have 4 echos and I often get anywhere for 1-4 timers going at once because they all hear me. Annoying.

BTW, they are giving $10 credit for people who already bought Gen1 dot (me). Also, they give a $50 discount on a 6 pack, $250!!! With both credits, I am getting a set of 6 for $40 each!!

You do realize you will need six separate Amazon accounts and six separate ISY portal accounts right?

Mark

The thing I am most excited about is the software update to do a better job of selecting the echo nearest the user!!  I already have 4 echos and I often get anywhere for 1-4 timers going at once because they all hear me.  Annoying.  

BTW, they are giving $10 credit for people who already bought Gen1 dot (me).  Also, they give a $50 discount on a 6 pack, $250!!!  With both credits, I am getting a set of 6 for $40 each!

Where did you find the $10 credit?

I believe based on the (few) reports this was really a variability in Q/A and as time went on this was corrected. My hopes are to integrate some really old school A/V gear with new school technology like the Dot.

My DBX, Bryston, Nakamichi, Sony ES, Onkyo Integra, Pioneer Elite, etc have been sitting idle for years all neglected LOL. 

Precisely my plan as well.  Using DOT as a controller and source for otherwise long retired hardware that is too high quality to sell/donate/recycle.

Precisely my plan as well.  Using DOT as a controller and source for otherwise long retired hardware that is too high quality to sell/donate/recycle.

I agree even though I'm not that old (I know its subjective ask my daughter) they simply don't build things like they used to. Its pretty funny to watch and hear people comment when they enter the home and see all of the stereo hardware. Then, the next question is wheres the XX surround sound?

LOL . . .

I suppose most are really confused because by looking at me none of them believe old school technology is of interest to me or even have old school gear to start with. 

Rock On . . .

As for the 6-pack and 12-pack of DOTs, I am surprised at their expectation of selling so many when they still don't relay which Echo device received the command. Or did I miss that fix?

The selling of multiples is precisely why I am hopeful that we will no longer need multiple Amazon accounts and multiple ISY portal accounts when using multiple echo devices with the smart home V2 API.

Mark

Can you rephrase that question again?

You're a funny guy!

I'm confused, too. What does multiple packs have to do with which Echo device received that command? From what I've read, only the closest device (on the same account) receives the command.

That opens a few questions. For example, if you set a timer, which device responds, the closest only or all devices on that account.? What about playing music, asking for the news or even a joke B)

I'm confused, too. What does multiple packs have to do with which Echo device received that command? From what I've read, only the closest device (on the same account) receives the command.

That opens a few questions. For example, if you set a timer, which device responds, the closest only or all devices on that account.? What about playing music, asking for the news or even a joke B)

I am eager to find out once the new units are in peoples hands or when the OTA is released. Then, those who have more than one can reply back.

I have two devices now with the required two separate Amazon accounts and two separate ISY portal accounts and if they both hear me, both will issue smart home commands, set timers, and play music. I'm not sure if that answers your question or not.

Edit: I have both of them set up with identical voice commands syntax

I'm using one portal with four accounts. Three Echos and three Dots. Two Dots within earshot on the same account have different names as do one Echo and a different Dot. I tried giving the two Dots on the same account the same name and asked for a joke. I got a different joke from each.

I also tried playing the same song. There was a delay between them. So far, not good. But, then again, the software has not yet been updated.

I'm using one portal with four accounts. Three Echos and three Dots. Two Dots within earshot on the same account have different names as do one Echo and a different Dot. I tried giving the two Dots on the same account the same name and asked for a joke. I got a different joke from each.

I also tried playing the same song. There was a delay between them. So far, not good. But, then again, the software has not yet been updated.

What happens when you issue smart home commands for the ISY?

And it seems like you're able to only have four portal accounts because of the fact that two of your six devices have different trigger names (Alexa, Echo, Amazon) than the others. Do I understand that correctly?

How many Amazon accounts so you have for those six devices? Four?

Thanks.

Mark

I also tried playing the same song. There was a delay between them

I think it would be unreasonable to expect otherwise.

They would have to buffer (which assume they already do), sync the buffers using some PLL technique (maybe tight control of time sync using e.g. ntpd), AND compensate for the differences in arrival time between the different speakers and your ears. And so it will need to know just where your ears are!

Archived