Device links table compare - exactly what does "ignore" mean?

jtara92101

What the topic title says.

What does "ignore" mean? Is this good, bad, or indifferent?

The manual is more terse than GaryFunk. ;)

Google hasn't been much help either.

What would it say if there are some links in device that are NOT identical to ISY? Somehow, "ignore" doesn't suggest that.

Ignore just means you can ignore it.   :-)

One of the bits denotes if the record is active or not.  If it's not active, it can be ignored.

The reason you might have an inactive record is removing the device from a scene.  Say you have a switch with the following links:

Link0: link to PLM

Link1: link to SwitchA

Link2: Link to SceneB

Link3: Link to SceneC

Link4: EndOfList

Now say you remove it from SceneB.  Essentially you need to delete Link2.  Instead of shifting everything (moving Link3 to the spot that was Link2 and deleting the old Link3), just mark Link2 as "unused" - the next time ISY needs a link record spot, it can use that location.

If ISY find a link it shouldn't, I believe you will get "Record Mismatch" or something similar.  You can force that by manually linking two devices and checking.   (Then factory reset and restore them)

Thanks!

So, the "ignore"s were not a problem.

I still had problems, but that wasn't it. When I set-up my system after I moved, I didn't understand that add device with "remove all links" doesn't remove all links! It seems it only removes links that were made by ISY. Doesn't make much sense to me, because ISY is able to DISCOVER all links (because now that I look, I see there are links to devices that are sitting in a cardboard box!) but it seems it can't remove them. Yet it can discover them.

Physically resetting the device DOES seem to remove links to other devices. I *thought* I'd done that with every device, but apparently some slipped-through (moving is chaotic), or else I was swapping devices around in my new place, and made the assumption that "remove all links" really did.

I've started to completely reconfigure. Basically removed everything and physically reset. (Still need to get the mini remote dimmer in the walk-in closet, have to drop the fixture That's a problem because it was the first device I installed, and I didn't use the ISY to set it up to link to a mini-remote switch. Just manual linking. But despite the fact that the ISY KNOWS about the link... it doesn't remove it...)

I narrowed down an issue I was having with certain devices. I seemed to be having trouble with certain versions of both KeypadLinc and Switchlinc. What was odd is that OLDER versions worked fine. Now I've isolated it a bit more, and it seems it's just (hardware) version 5.3 of Keypadlinc. It was the first dual-band Keypadlinc. They seem useless if you have any newer dual-band devices. Makes sense. I thought it was both KPL 5.3 and SL 5.15, but just confusion because I was typically pairing one with the other. The 5.3 KPLs seem toxic to any system that has newer dual-band devices.  It's not just that they are flakey. They make other devices flakey if they are in the system.  Older works fine. Newer works fine.

Will Insteon EVER implement upgradable firmware? They used to at least offer generous support (like UDI) replacing flawed products outside of warranty period,  but no more!

My dual-band LampLincs work just fine - and they came along after that early KeypadLinc dual-band.

Archived