Question about monitoring

Blackbird

I believe you will be pleased with their service as lots of Canadians have used them with great success. What are they asking for monthly service fee's these days and are there any gotcha's?

This was from there email.

1)If we need to call you there are NO additional charges. You will not be billed anything extra from us. I would double check with your local police department that they do not charge for false alarms though.

2)You would be charged a $35 fee any time you need to work with a technician for any programming such as adding zones, motion detectors, etc.

3)Your system will check in here to our central station 12 times a day.

4)Yes. We will set you up with an over the phone appointment with a technician and they will walk you through the programming.

$8.95 a month billed annually

This was from there email.

1)If we need to call you there are NO additional charges. You will not be billed anything extra from us. I would double check with your local police department that they do not charge for false alarms though.

2)You would be charged a $35 fee any time you need to work with a technician for any programming such as adding zones, motion detectors, etc.

3)Your system will check in here to our central station 12 times a day.

4)Yes. We will set you up with an over the phone appointment with a technician and they will walk you through the programming.

$8.95 a month billed annually

2. That's kinda stiff so you better get all the zones added (labeled) and have them disabled.

3. What do they mean the system will check in 12 times a day?

4. $8.95 USD or CDN? 

2. That's kinda stiff so you better get all the zones added (labeled) and have them disabled.

4. $8.95 USD or CDN?

I am a certified Alarm Relay Dealer and can answer these.

-The alarm will check into the CS to make sure theres no communication issues

-USD

-There is no charge to add or change zones and a simple email to their customer service can do this for free. The end user has full control within the ElkRP software

-AGAIN not to berate what Teken has already said but this could life and death (smoke alarm monitorting) but its VERY important to have a BACKUP - either cell or alternate internet! What happens if your internet is down and you cant communicate with the CS? There are devices like the OBIhai you can get with a low cost VOIP to be a backup. OBIhai and Google Voice will send alarm messages and all you pay for is one time for the OBIhai. I just am not certain how google hangouts work in Canada.

-The only time its $35 for a tech is when they have to walk you through things over. Most of the time you setup the system and never mess with it again.

I PMed you and like I said happy to help walk you through the process.

4. $8.95 USD or CDN?

I asked them how often they monitor the system like for low batteries and stuff like that

-USD

-There is no charge to add or change zones and a simple email to their customer service can do this for free. The end user has full control within the ElkRP software

-AGAIN not to berate what Teken has already said but this could life and death (smoke alarm monitorting) but its VERY important to have a BACKUP - either cell or alternate internet! What happens if your internet is down and you cant communicate with the CS? There are devices like the OBIhai you can get with a low cost VOIP to be a backup. OBIhai and Google Voice will send alarm messages and all you pay for is one time for the OBIhai. I just am not certain how google hangouts work in Canada.

-The only time its $35 for a tech is when they have to walk you through things over. Most of the time you setup the system and never mess with it again.

So if I got OBIhai (don't know much about it) it still runs on Internet correct? If so what if the Internet goes down I've lost both

-USD

You will need to expand on that a little because I still don't follow what you mean?

So if I got OBIhai (don't know much about it) it still runs on Internet correct? If so what if the Internet goes down I've lost both

Typically most residential users are connected via POTS / VOIP. While others add in that extra layer using cellular either mimicking POTS / IP.

Then you have dedicated Ethernet IP modules . . .

Since you're planning to disconnect the POTS it depends upon how you receive Internet. Is the Internet DSL which comes on the phone lines or is it actually fiber or coaxial like for TV? Regardless of what method you use to communicate with the CS the alarm panel needs to be secured in a manner that offers protection for the unit.

99% of the installs have the unit installed in the basement simply hanging next to the service panel. They use two screws and call it good which applies to about 99% of the installs I have ever seen. 

You will need to expand on that a little because I still don't follow what you mean?

The ELK panel actually calls the CS at regular intervals you set to verify a plethora of things.

Also the Elk 2-way wireless will send a message every aprox 60mins to the system. If that info if not received CS will let you know as well as the keypad. This also applies to RF jams or any low battery troubles.

Teken you give it shit but its actually a damn nice system. I cant speak for any other security systems because I honestly haven't used or installed anything but Elk in the past three years, so not sure how the wireless communication works on others. Before that I did a few DSC panels but the Elk is great. In my own home I use the wireless in combination with hardwire and never had an issue. I have only had to replace one battery in 3+ years and Alarm Relay CS knew and contracted me before I did. I even have a GE wireless receiver on my Elk and put a heat detector in my garage and outside sensors on my side gates. If anyone opens my outside gates at night my alarm will trigger.

Archived