Any real difference between these two keypads?

Blackbird

The KP2 can be mounted in a recessed box and is a much cleaner look.  You just have to buy the recess box (ELK-M1BBK2).  It also doesn't have a door that you have to open and close to press buttons.  I've only ever installed the M1Kp2...

Same features and capabilities but the M1KP has two more Function buttons mounted on the left side. (6 instead of 4)

The M1KP2 is less expensive, looks like it was made in this century, can be flush mounted, has no door, and has the much more clearly observable Ready(Green)/Armed(Red) backlit indicators showing system state.

I put a KP2 near the front and garage doors, and a mini keypad in the master bedroom. Best thing I ever did! It's easy to tell if you forgot to arm at high, for instance.

I did sort of the same thing, but a full KP2 in MBR and entry from Garage, and a mini at the front door.  I wanted a full KP in MBR for the readout.  

I did sort of the same thing, but a full KP2 in MBR and entry from Garage, and a mini at the front door. I wanted a full KP in MBR for the readout.

My front door is glass so I wanted the KP2 keypad lit and visible. So then if someone is scoping things out they see the alarm keypad lit red for armed. Also if someone knocks on the door to scope you out pretending to sell magazine subs or a sub contractor does work theres a clear presence pf an alarm system. The appearance that the house is a hassle in my opinion is half the battle. Hopefully would be burglars will just pass me by and steal from my neighbor. For the garage and bedroom just wanted simple control and warnings only to show without a light-show keeping me up at night.

This is what I put in my bedroom.

8e95150baea7f147001e4521b53bff34.jpg

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

But this does not meet code.  You cannot combine 120V and low voltage in 1 box.  I recommend buying a spacer (about 50 cents) that inserts between the 120V and the low voltage.  In most areas, that is OK for code.  

Nice keypad but it appears to only be about $40 less than the full panel

I don't need a full keypad in the bedroom and I had room for the small keypad. So I added it for convenience.

I will put full keypads by the main doors to the house.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

The Elk is low voltage and there is an insulator in the box. Geez, everyone wants to be a nanny.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

:mrgreen: And put the covers back on.  And don't hold a glass of liquid near that either.  

As for the cost, that was never an issue for me.  I just wanted a more simple keypad at my front door.  More subtle.  I would have paid for if needed.  

Archived