Scene Synchronization - 3-Way Switch Oddity

blaine

I'm experiencing some odd behavior and I've confirmed that it works the same way with a buddy's ISY system.

Setup:

Two SwitchLinc dimmers, both added to a scene where one controls the load and the other doesn't control the load (standard 3-way setup). They're both added as controllers to the scene.

Behavior:

If I do a single tap on either switch, they stay in sync and ramp up to the "Applied Locally" brightness... works the same for a single click to turn them off. If I ramp up or down the brightness manually (by holding the paddle), they stay in sync. If I do a fast on/off from either switch, they stay in sync.

HOWEVER, if I attempt a single click to fully brighten the lights beyond their "Applied Locally" value, the switch I clicked responds, but the other one does not. This isn't a big deal for the switch that controls the load (other than not being reflected on the non-load switch's status LED), but if I do this on the the non-load switch, it just ramps up its LED status with no response from the load switch.

Is this normal behavior? Or am I doing something wrong?

I've already performed a factory reset and restore on both switches.

Thanks,

Blaine

I'm experiencing some odd behavior and I've confirmed that it works the same way with a buddy's ISY system.

Setup:

Two SwitchLinc dimmers, both added to a scene where one controls the load and the other doesn't control the load (standard 3-way setup). They're both added as controllers to the scene.

Behavior:

If I do a single tap on either switch, they stay in sync and ramp up to the "Applied Locally" brightness... works the same for a single click to turn them off. If I ramp up or down the brightness manually (by holding the paddle), they stay in sync. If I do a fast on/off from either switch, they stay in sync.

HOWEVER, if I attempt a single click to fully brighten the lights beyond their "Applied Locally" value, the switch I clicked responds, but the other one does not. This isn't a big deal for the switch that controls the load (other than not being reflected on the non-load switch's status LED), but if I do this on the the non-load switch, it just ramps up its LED status with no response from the load switch.

Thanks,

Blaine

I believe this is normal behavior.  I've gotten used to just double tapping on to go to full brightness from the initial level on any of my 3-way switches.  Unfortunate indeed to see that LED tick up but nothing happen to the light or other switch, when it works from the other switch...

That's a feature, it had been part of the Insteon dimmer design from the beginning. Tapping on a switch that is already on will toggle the local load between the current dim setting and 100%, while sending a scene on message to linked responders. That makes it easy to distinguish which load is attached vs. one connected to another Insteon device without having to take the wall plate off to look at the wiring.

If your intention is to move all the responders' loads to 100% at the same time, use a quick double-tap On to send a Fast On message to everything.

Setup:

Behavior:

Thanks,

Blaine

I don't know about normal behaviour as I never have used a three-way action with a scene.

However you could use a follow up program something like this.

If

... control nonLoadSwitch is switched 'On'

AND

... status of LoadSwitch >= 1%

Then

... set nonLoadSwitch  to 100%    <----you could create another scene  for these two with 100% levels, if desired

... set loadSwitch to 100%

Else

... --

EDIT:Minor change to level after Stu's sharp eyes pointing out 0% doesn't work.

Thanks all for the replies... it's good to know that it's working as designed. That said, this "feature" is nothing I'd ever ask for... it's easy enough to see which switch is providing the load by simply looking to see which switch has the load wire hooked up.

And thanks Larry for the suggestion to write the simple program... I was contemplating doing exactly that and your coding example will make it a snap.

I searched high and low within the forum for an answer to this "feature" and couldn't find a thing... must not have been entering the proper search terms.

--Blaine

Thanks all for the replies... it's good to know that it's working as designed. That said, this "feature" is nothing I'd ever ask for... it's easy enough to see which switch is providing the load by simply looking to see which switch has the load wire hooked up.

I've looked at all my virtual 3-ways and can't see which is the primary. I guess that I could remove them for that determination--or simply view the labels I created in the Admin Console B)

And thanks Larry for the suggestion to write the simple program... I was contemplating doing exactly that and your coding example will make it a snap.

I searched high and low within the forum for an answer to this "feature" and couldn't find a thing... must not have been entering the proper search terms.

--Blaine

I hope it works and you are not a lawyer. :)

Archived