Changing the ISY-994's IP address

outsider

Some time ago, I had a second router on my system set to handle the subnet 192.168.0.x

At the time my ISY-994 was part of that subnet.

The router packed it in and I moved the ISY to the primary router & switch, but now I can't seem to find a way to move the IP address to the new subnet 192.168.1x

From the serial connection and a scanner I have obtained the MAC address and reserved an IP address for it on my router. Resetting the ISY does not help

The ISY Finder cannot see it.

Wireshark tells me the ISY is broadcasting its presence on the LAN - 192.168.0.136 - every 30 sec or so

The ISY will not answer/allow login via telnet at its advertised IP address.

A serial connection via a terminal emulator and a micro-USB cable can access that end, but the way to change the IP address is both very hard (I would argue, almost impossible) to satisfy and in several dozen tries has yet to do what it is expected to do.

I do have some backups, but I can only hope that they reflect the current state of my programs.

Is a complete factory reset the only option ???

TIA for any ideas or help

Hi

To be clear, you serial-ed in and got the 'ISY Shell' menu? 

CT is the command to configure IP. You'll need to have the subnet mask and router address and DNS (the last 2 are most likely the same for most consumer routers)

Did CT not work, and if so what happened?

Paul

If by "reserved an IP address on the router" you mean that you have made a DHCP reservation, then you do not need to/should not manually configure the IP address on the ISY.

Set it to use DHCP to obtain an address from your router.

You should be able to temporarily regain access by the normal (IP) means if you simply configure a secondary subnet/IP address on a desktop computer. i.e. set-up a secondary interface with subnet 192.168.0.0/255, and address of, say, 192.168.1.2.

Once in, change the configuration to obtain the address via DHCP, and reboot the ISY.

When done, you can remove the secondary subnet/IP from your desktop computer.

Or, figure out the command-line needed to re-configure to use DHCP and do so over the serial interface.

Yes, I did get the ISY shell

CT seems to be very hard to use.

After several (many) unsuccessful attempts to fill in all the values as expected - the timeout value of ~ 30 secs seems to reset/act like and <Enter> without action on my part, or else the input handler is very impatient and has a very short fuse - I did get the values I wanted, but nothing changed.

From the shell it looked like the values I wanted were accepted, but the IP address shown as part of the prompt did not changed.So I tried a reset  with no change either.

Enter CT, then answer the prompts:

2.1.1.  Requesting for DHCP Assigned IP Address

Ø  When prompted for IP Address, enter the 0.0.0.0

Ø  When prompted for NetMask, ignore

Ø  When prompted for Gateway, ignore

Ø  When prompted for DNS Server, ignore

When prompted with Save Changes, enter Y. The system will reboot and attempts to get DHCP assigned TCP/IP information upon system start.

If by "reserved an IP address on the router" you mean that you have made a DHCP reservation, then you do not need to/should not manually configure the IP address on the ISY.

Set it to use DHCP to obtain an address from your router.

You should be able to temporarily regain access by the normal (IP) means if you simply configure a secondary subnet/IP address on a desktop computer. i.e. set-up a secondary interface with subnet 192.168.0.0/255, and address of, say, 192.168.1.2.

Once in, change the configuration to obtain the address via DHCP, and reboot the ISY.

When done, you can remove the secondary subnet/IP from your desktop computer.

Or, figure out the command-line needed to re-configure to use DHCP and do so over the serial interface.

As far as I can tell/remember it was/is set for DHCP.

However the router I have now is set for the subnet 192.168.1

Not being a LAN expert, I am a bit reluctant to mess to much with my setup.

I'll have to see how far I get with this suggestion.

As I mentioned in my earlier reply to PaulBates the serial interface implies the needed commands, but I have not been able to make them work

Enter CT, then answer the prompts:

2.1.1.  Requesting for DHCP Assigned IP Address

Ø  When prompted for IP Address, enter the 0.0.0.0

Ø  When prompted for NetMask, ignore

Ø  When prompted for Gateway, ignore

Ø  When prompted for DNS Server, ignore

When prompted with Save Changes, enter Y. The system will reboot and attempts to get DHCP assigned TCP/IP information upon system start

After realizing the my input is case sensitive for its y/n query, I finally got it to accept my data and ISY finder finally can find it.

A bit of a nuisance since my user name & password are mixed case :-(

But thank both of you for your help

Did you set it to use DHCP?

If you set it to DHCP, the router subnet/address is IRRELEVANT. That's the whole point of DHCP. If you change your router in the future, it does not matter - just reboot or power-cycle, and it will get a new address from the new router.

The DHCP "reservation" is not really even necessary. When you set-up a reservation, all it does is insure that the ISY will always get the same address from the router. You need to tell the router the MAC address of the ISY. It looks like you already did that. With a consistent address, then you can - if you wish - set up port forwarding on your router to allow access from the outside world. It is also handy if you have other internal equipment that will access the ISY and you need to use an IP address to do that. (For example, that's how I access ISY from Roomie Remote app on iOS.)

Aside: I set DHCP reservations for all of my permanent equipment. Only guests and e.g. temporary equipment under test is allocated from the DHCP pool. I stopped setting manual static IP addresses years ago.

If you don't set the ISY to DHCP, you've just introduced unnecessary complication. Then, the static mask/address/gateway you set will need to match the reservation address (which really then only acts to create a "hole" in the addressing for the ISY).

Glad you got it to work!

It's pretty easy to do. Set your computer to a static address of 192.168.0.10.

Connect your computer and the ISY to a hub or use a crossover cable and then connect to the ISY using its current address. Change the address in the ISY, save and reboot it.

Then remove the static address from your computer.

I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.

It's pretty easy to do. Set your computer to a static address of 192.168.0.10.

Connect your computer and the ISY to a hub or use a crossover cable and then connect to the ISY using its current address. Change the address in the ISY, save and reboot it.

Then remove the static address from your computer.

I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.

Thank you; I'll add this to my local FAQ :-)

Did you set it to use DHCP?

If you set it to DHCP, the router subnet/address is IRRELEVANT. That's the whole point of DHCP. If you change your router in the future, it does not matter - just reboot or power-cycle, and it will get a new address from the new router.

The DHCP "reservation" is not really even necessary. When you set-up a reservation, all it does is insure that the ISY will always get the same address from the router. You need to tell the router the MAC address of the ISY. It looks like you already did that. With a consistent address, then you can - if you wish - set up port forwarding on your router to allow access from the outside world. It is also handy if you have other internal equipment that will access the ISY and you need to use an IP address to do that. (For example, that's how I access ISY from Roomie Remote app on iOS.)

Aside: I set DHCP reservations for all of my permanent equipment. Only guests and e.g. temporary equipment under test is allocated from the DHCP pool. I stopped setting manual static IP addresses years ago.

If you don't set the ISY to DHCP, you've just introduced unnecessary complication. Then, the static mask/address/gateway you set will need to match the reservation address (which really then only acts to create a "hole" in the addressing for the ISY).

It seems I had a fixed IP address with the earlier router, but it would surely be nice if one could set this option from the serial interface _directly_

Before reading jtara92101's post , I was trying to use the address I had reserved - that plus the unexpected case sensitivity of the Y/N reply - when commands are accepted in either case - really threw me for a loop.

Using 0.0.0.0 then advised me that that was the way to set DHCP - not very intuitive :-(

But it is working now, so thank you all

As well, I realized while looking at the telnet interface, that it has/had some DEBUG levels - which are not available in the serial interface :-(

Archived