Controlling two lights with one switch

greazer

Quite contrary.  I can tell you categorically that triggering a switch via program THEN clause CAN cause another program to trigger (and run).  For example...a program such as:

if time is sunset

then turn on light

will cause this program to trigger (if light was previously off):

if status of light is on

then do something

<snippage>

Exactly and I agree.

In a Switchlinc and most Insteon devices

...status comes fromthe dimmer circuitry 

...switched ON/Off comes from the paddle. Nothing else can tap the paddle.

When you turn on the dimmer from any source the status changes. It sends no switched signals.

When you tap the paddle it sends a Control/switched. It has no status.

Thanks so much larryllix. Super helpful and I totally agree with you about the looks and operation of the KPL. For me, it's not wife friendly. 

On other switches in my house I have done similar things as you describe (double tap for additional behavior), though not to the same extent. But now that you mention it, I like the notion of tapping up for more lthink I'll incorporate it.

Also, yes, I think I agree with you on the last state tapping ON to turn both lights OFF is counter intuitive. I'll just remove that one.

And finally, thanks for pointing out the variable prefix stuff. So obvious, I didn't even consider it! :D

Oh, and after posting, I noticed Oberkc's comments as well. (I read through Teken's just to return the favor). I will read through that and try to grock it. Looks good.

And for what it's worth, my wife did turn on Switch1 tonight and sure enough, it went from state 0, to 1 to 2 with that single tap on. Note I had tried to duplicate this behavior several times before she came home, but just couldn't.

Programmers name variables based on the type. Since all variables in the ISY are numeric it's mostly irrelevant. Also programs are so small it's not difficult to keep order.

I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.

But state variables and regular variables on the ISY have different behavior. I've frequently confused myself on this so simply prefixing state variables with "s." or whatever is an easy and obvious solution.

Archived