Access to Internet / Access to ISY944i using cell phone

j.rieff

I am new to the ISY944i. I am slowing migrating from a Stargate controller using X10 protocol to a ISY944i controller using INSTEON protocol.

What do I need to do to enable access to the ISY944i via one of my cell phones.

I try to Enable Internet Access, but I keep getting a Failed message. I don't see anything obvious in the Configuration setup or instructions in the User's Guide. 

Do I need to install the ISY Portal module?

I am new to the ISY944i. I am slowing migrating from a Stargate controller using X10 protocol to a ISY944i controller using INSTEON protocol.

What do I need to do to enable access to the ISY944i via one of my cell phones.

I try to Enable Internet Access, but I keep getting a Failed message. I don't see anything obvious in the Configuration setup or instructions in the User's Guide.

Do I need to install the ISY Portal module?

Have you enabled upnp on your router or do you have the ability to port forward?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hi

If you want to access to your devices via a mobile phone app, you'll need to look at getting a third party application like mobilinc, which is ios and android, or agave which is android only. There's a windows phone app as well

You do not have to get the portal, and the portal is not a direct mobile phone solution on its own.

Paul

Typically smartphone access is from an app, not directly into the admin console.

Enabling the ISY option for internet access is not required if you either use port forwarding or a VPN to communicate with the ISY when off your LAN. I believe you need to go this port forwarding or VPN route to use an app. If I recall, some consider that option to not be the best way to access ISY remotely?

So you use the console to configure the system, then use an app to drive it. You can control scenes, devices, programs etc from an app.

I use mobilinc, and it's pretty good for iOS. But for me they need to enable a way to backup the settings before I can fully recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically smartphone access is from an app, not directly into the admin console.

Enabling the ISY option for internet access is not required if you either use port forwarding or a VPN to communicate with the ISY when off your LAN. I believe you need to go this port forwarding or VPN route to use an app. If I recall, some consider the "enable internet access" option to not be the best way to access ISY remotely? Needs upnp.

So you use the console to configure the system, then use an app to drive it. You can control scenes, devices, programs etc from an app.

I use mobilinc, and it's pretty good for iOS. But for me they need to enable a way to backup the settings before I can fully recommend.

Do not select Enable Internet Access. That option is less secure and does not actually enable off-site access in and of itself. Port forwarding and a service is one method, MobiLinc and/or the portal are other secure ways to access your ISY from off-site.

Archived